Favors

Homemade Jam - Good Favor?

We were thinking of making strawberry jam as our wedding favour - good or bad? We thought it would be extra nice for my dad's family because my grandmother is known for her amazing jam recipes and we'll be using one of hers. 

Re: Homemade Jam - Good Favor?

• I say yes. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Do what you think is good for you people on this sight can be mean be careful.
  • Yes! I'm biased because this is what we did, and people are still talking about it three months later. Just be careful to use a tested recipe (Ball Blue Book has lots of good ones) and approved jars with two-piece lids like Ball.
  • Yes, I love homemade jam.  
  • I think that would be awesome! I would suggest attaching an ingredient list in case of any allergies though. You could put it on the back of a tag or something so it isn't so in your face.

I know my H and I would be very appreciative of that. Many times we have to leave homemade foods behind in case it has something in it that he is allergic too.

• staar987 said:

I think that would be awesome! I would suggest attaching an ingredient list in case of any allergies though. You could put it on the back of a tag or something so it isn't so in your face.

I know my H and I would be very appreciative of that. Many times we have to leave homemade foods behind in case it has something in it that he is allergic too.

Great advice, I wouldn't have thought about it!!
  • How many of your guests are flying? I almost never check a bag for a wedding, so I would have no way to get this home.

But if most if your guests are in town or driving, then I think this would be great!
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

Strawberry is my favorite jam flavor so I like that flavor idea.  Jam was a favor at a wedding I went to the other year.  It went over very well.  The bride used fabric that went with their wedding colors on the lid and it made them look really cute.

• Love the idea! It's really sweet that you're using your grandmother's recipe. If she'd be willing to share the recipe, you could even attach it to the jar as a little card. That way you'd cover the ingredient list and provide a little something extra.
    *********************************************************************************

• I love this idea!
  • This a nice idea! It's useful and I enjoy edible favors.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'd be concerned about people who are flying and may not want to check a bag.
  • I think this sounds like a nice favor. People on here are not "mean" so much as in favor of edible favors.

• I love the idea, and ditto with posting an ingredient list in case of allergies. Strawberry is a favorite jam flavor but also something a lot of people are allergic to so you may want to offer two flavors just in case.
  • I would be making homemade jam if it weren't for my FI's cousin making it at her wedding.  I would hate to steal such a personal idea from someone I know.  It was amazing.  Some were left behind, and I took all those pretty little mason jars to their new home.
  • As long as it's canned in such a way that it's shelf stable. My cousin made apple butter as her favor, and I was SO EXCITED about it until I realized I left it in my purse for two days and it was supposed to be refrigerated. Whoops. And I ditto the allergen list. You never know.

• srwootsrwoot member
    First Comment
    Hi! I am also looking into having jam for my wedding. Found them on a website for a good price and they make the labels for you( I don't have any jam experts in the family) we also got these cute spreaders to go along with it. But now I'm stuck with how to make it presentable and package it... I'm not having a rustic type wedding so having a piece of string will look out of place but I love the idea of jam for my fall wedding... any ideas???
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We used brightly colored baker's twine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards