Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Just got engaged! Now what? :)

Hey all! My fiance and I just got engaged on Monday. We are so excited, and I am still in a little bit of shock! We have decided to enjoy this thru the holidays then dive into the planning come January. Of course I am thinking so much about everything, and my question is - where do we begin? Do we look at ceremony & reception places with a couple dates in mind (it will be early 2015), or do we make the guest list first and then look at spaces and how big they are? Thanks for any help anyone may have!

Re: Just got engaged! Now what? :)

• Options
    Congrats! I just got engaged a few weeks ago and felt the same way you do with no idea where to begin! I've found a lot of advice says to talk about your guest list first before getting serious about venue. Some have a maximum number they can hold especially if the dinner is indoors and you don't want to exclude any guests that you really want to be there! I don't think you need an exact number but a ballpark. Right now I am thinking of inviting 120ish which means over 100 will probably make it, but that leaves plenty of venues except the smallest kinds.
  • Options
    And I forgot to mention... Ask the most important guests Iike close family and bridal party if they have any other weddings or commitments that time of year. You don't want to book a date where your sister is traveling or best friend will be at her cousins wedding!
  • Options
    Congrats to you too! :)

Thank you! That does make perfect sense. Everything will definitely be inside, so getting the guest list together before looking at places is a great idea. Do we ask both of our parents for a list of people they would like to come, friends, bosses, etc. The wedding will take place out of town for my family and parents friends (meaning I don't think many will travel except for the close family friends), but will be local for my fiance and his family. 
  • Options
    Talk about the kind of wedding you want to have, set a budget, and come up with a potential guest list. Yes, that includes people on your parents' lists as well.Then look for places that meet your needs and numbers. Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Congratulations!  PPs said it: now is the time to envision what you want, like the rough size and guest list, general time frame, and budget.  Plan that you and Fi will pay for everything unless your family offers-- don't ask them.  And have fun... subscribe to a couple of bridal magazines and try to keep track of stuff you like!  You're totally right to decide to chill out through the holidays and wait until later for serious planning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    PPs have this covered, so I'll just say congratulations!
  • Options

I think you start with a budget. Figure out how much you are comfortable spending and how much you and Fi will be able to save. Once you have a general number then you can start thinking about what type of wedding you want and how many people you can invite.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think the first step would be to set a budget. Then you can start on a guest list and look for venues that can accommodate both your budget and guest list. 
  • Options

I also just got engaged and I dove right into looking at venues and quickly realized that's not the place to start.  I had no idea what our budget would be so when I looked at venue prices it was hard to tell what would be realistically possible, and then I remembered that I had no idea how many people we'd be inviting. 

Now he and I have talked to our families to get a guest list and we have an approximate budget, and looking at venues has been much easier.

• Options
    This is coincidental, because there is a wedding planning book I recommend to everyone and the description for the book starts off like this: "You're engaged! Congratulations! ...now what?" So I think this eBook is perfect for you. It's called "How to Create the Ultimate Wedding Planning Binder - And Other Helpful Wedding Planning Tips"

Basically it takes you through every step of creating a wedding planning binder, therefore guiding you on how to plan your wedding. It works really great for long engagements because you might forget details or things you wanted to do over time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards