Second Weddings
Options

I need help with my last name!!

Here's the situation. My ex left me with a ton of debt he took out in my name while I was working my butt off. When we got divorced, the judge told me he wouldn't allow me to change back to my maiden name since I had so many outstanding debts. He thought changing it would enable me to avoid debt collectors. So, although divorved and about to be engaged, I STILL have my married name. These debts will be paid off in May. My fiance and I are moving to a new state, we have to start all new bills and sign our lease. We are planning on getting married in 2016 and I will then take his name. I don't know what to do. Do I change my name back only to change it again?? This name is how EVERYONE knows me. All his friends, all my friends, work, bills, etc. I have found a ton of wedding stuff that doesn't include the brides last name, just first and middle. That way I can avoid it all together. But I feel weird having it as my married name as my last name. Do i just stick it out until we get married? Or do I jump through hoops to have it changed multiple times?? I do want to get rid of it, but how to I unravel my current married name while making these HUGE life changes and not confuse everything??

Re: I need help with my last name!!

• Options
    Changing your name is a huge fiasco if it were me, I would wait to change my last name.  I did change back to my maiden name before I moved in with my now husband - but at the time I did not have any intention of getting married again. 
  • Options
    Im confused as to what you are asking. I would leave your name and change it when you get married. In my state changing your name without a divorce decree our marriage license is not easy...it requires a judge's order and public notices and what not. You can have aliases, you can go by your maiden name on anything that's not legally binding.

That judge is a real jerk. The credit companies would have your social, that's more important than your name when it comes to debt. That sucks, sorry.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I'm keeping my married name as long as possible, Mostly because my kid has that last name. I would hate to have to change it!! What a pain!
  • Options
    I wondering if it is worth all the hassle. Once we are married and I have his last name all of this is done anyway. I was just wondering if it's even worth bothering to change my name back to my maiden if I'm going to be married in less than 3 years. It would be so much easier to leave it as is...
  • Options
    I had an emotional identity crisis right around the time I got divorced.  Because it was the best thing for my kids & my business at the time, I've left it.  As much as i don't like my current last name, I'll just change it when I get married.
    I agree with the others, because changing it is such a hassle, that's energy (and money from the court filing fee) that could be spent on other things:)  I'd just leave it, change it when you get married.  When you take care of those other things (like your lease), you can simply ask the landlord how they want you to notify them of the name change once it's official, etc.
  • Options
    Thank you!! I hate having his last name. Especially since he was a VERY bad husband. And I'm madly in love with the man I'm with now. I think the best thing is for me to wait and just change it once we are married. Hopefully the next couple years will just fly by! Thank you again!!!
  • Options
    When I divorced, I opted to not change my name. We were separated for a period before the divorce and i realized that my last name didn't define me. That my friends didn't call me "hey firstname lastname!", they said "hey firstname!".

Plus there was all the paperwork.

I would wait and just change it once. HOWEVER, if it gives you peace of mind and helps you close that nasty chapter - do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards