May 2014 Weddings

How did you and your Fiancé meet?

I loooove to hear these stories! (Plus, I am bored at work, lol). I'll start with mine:

I've been a huge fan of a local morning drive/sports talk radio show here in the DC area for the past 5 years or so. When I was single, I was pretty active on Twitter and met a lot of other fans of the show that way. One night, while tweeting back and forth with a few other listeners, I got a tweet from another listener who had a picture of himself with a Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup champions hat on. I am a HUGE Washington Capitals fan, and the Penguins are our arch-rivals. I promptly replied to him with, "There is no chance in hell I would ever date a Penguins fan". Little did I know.... We communicated via Twitter and Facebook for a few months before finally agreeing to meet at a local bar to watch a Penguins vs Capitals hockey game. There was an immediate mutual attraction and we went on several dates in the following months. My daughter and I moved in with him about a year after we started dating and we became engaged 8 months after moving in. I still love telling everyone that my first words to him were "No chance in hell!" and now we are getting married!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How did you and your Fiancé meet?

• My FI and I met online trough a dating website. I had just gotten out of a relationship, about a month prior. It wasn't anything too serious, and I wasn't really looking for anything serious just a friend to talk to. The same for my FI strangely enough, he had just gotten out of a really bad relationship. I had sent him an instant message through the website, at the exact same time he had sent me an email. At first I called BS on it, but then I checked the email and looked at the time stamp. It was weird and funny all at the same time. Well we talked and after a little while decided to meet( we lived 3 hrs apart from each other) and it's just been great ever since. We've been together for 4 years now, I never would've thought that I'd find my love when I wasn't even looking for it. I think the stars must've had it planned all along.  
  • My FI and I also met on a dating website. I had tried it the previous year with little success so decided to spend more time on myself and not worry about dating. So when I signed up again I signed up for a 2 year thing. I started talking with my FI about a month into my subscription. We did not hit it off right away. He came off rude and he thought I was a b*tch! it was a wonder we made it to our first date! But we did end up meeting and sat for 4 hours talking at this ice cream parlor. ended up making plans to go out that same night. it's crazy how everything just clicked! And of course, there was no refund for my subscription :/
  • I got a lot of, why would you even agree to meet this guy? He could be a total serial killer or something! Or he could be a total creeper. I heard a lot of you're crazy for dating someone you met online..People hear all the nasty media stories of online victims and make assumptions. But the media never reports the good stuff. Clearly he's not a serial killer I'm still alive after 4 yrs and he is so wonderful with my kids. I couldn't have ever asked for anyone so wonderful. It brings me to tears to think about how much I love this man.

• My FI & I met at church. I sang in the choir and he was the new drummer. My friend and I saw him walk in and she said "Ooo he's cute." And I said "back off, he's mine". I totally called it lol. However, for the first few months of being acquaintances, we didn't even get along. We had a big fight and he messaged me to apologize. We talked every day after that & that's how we eventually started dating. Here we are 5 years later!

• We met through friends- he was good friends with a guy one of my friends was dating. He lived across the country (in AZ, and I'm in MI) at the time and was "home" visiting when we went out as a group. I thought he was cute and was kind of bummed we didn't get much of a chance to hang out that night. Saw him again around Christmas and we really hit it off, but he had to go back to AZ again. We chatted a couple times over the next few months but the day he came back to MI again we started dating pretty much right away. Did the long-distance thing for a year and then he moved back to MI permanently. 2 years later we were engaged :)
  • I was working at a gas station while paying for school, and a girl I worked with knew FI, who always came in for tea and cigarettes (he has since quit, thank goodness!). As it turns out, we lived about a block from each other just up the street, and my co-worker secretly decided to set us up. She started telling him where we were having our weekly girls' nights, and he would 'coincidentally' show up. We talked a few times and hit it off, and started a running joke about how badly his fence needed to be painted and that it was a neighbourhood eyesore haha. One day on my way home from work, I decided to leave a note on his gate: "Hurry up and paint your fence already! Sheesh :)" He asked me out the next day, and we planned a date for the following Wednesday. We ended up not being able to wait that long and hung out on both Monday and Tuesday! We still had our "official" first date on the Wednesday, and have been together nonstop ever since. I always told him that I wasn't the kind of girl who would wait 5 years to get married... And we just realized that our wedding date is exactly 4 years and 11 months to the day from that Wednesday date! Too funny :)

• crisscrossKGcrisscrossKG member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2013
    I never had a date, never been kissed, and never had a boyfriend before I met my future husband. IRONICALLY, my fiance and I met on Valentines day, when my twin sister and I went to visit some friends at our college of choice. He was a mutual friend of some of our mutual friends and we were all at dinner together. A friend was telling a long drawn out story and dragged him into it and that was when I noticed him. Over the next few months my twin and I went up frequently to visit our friends and over time we became friends with him too. I remember the day I told my twin "One of us has to marry him to keep him around!" (I'm glad it was me!) Our friendship grew and when I got to college we became best friends and somewhere along the line our best friendship transitioned into a relationship. This Valentine's day will be the fourth year anniversary of when we first met, and we will be getting married May 31st. I am marrying my best friend! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Facebook "people you may know' I though he was a cutie I added him and that was it hehe
  • I actually dated my fiance's brother first very briefly and casually.  We decided we weren't wanting to take it seriously as we didn't have a ton in common but stayed friends.  He invited me one night out to the local pub with him and a bunch of his friends as I was new in town and trying to make new connections.  His brother was there-- my now FI.  I had heard that ever since his divorce, he had kind of been a player so I wanted nothing to do with him.  He sat on the other side of the table and I ignored him despite thinking he was super cute.  He asked if anyone like Guinness and my ex made a big "to do" about me liking it and my FI ordered us Irish Car Bombs (which ironically if I have to do a shot, are my favorite).  He came down to my end of the table with them and switched seats with his brother.  I did the shot and ignored him.  He wouldn't leave me alone, kept bugging me: so finally I just turned towards him and said (mind you I was a bit tipsy so my feisty side came out) "I have heard bad things about you, I do NOT want to talk to you"  He asked what kinda bad things and I said "I've heard your a man whore"  This banter went back and forth with him having a good time pushing my buttons and me trying my darnedest to ignore him.   I was talking to my girlfriend about my son being away for the week on a camping trip with my Dad and how I missed him.  My FI butted in and told me his babies were away for the week too with their mom on vacation-- it was kind of cute.  Next thing ya know I'm paying attention... we ended up staying up all night together, outside on a summer night, talking and watching a meteor shower together.  Moved in together 3 months later, got engaged a year later and here we are.  Everyone loves hearing our story... I so wanted nothing to do with him lol
  • My crazy story starts years ago when I had a TERRIBLE break up of epic proportions in 2006 when I was just shy of 21.  Well after many years of moving around and just taking life as it goes, never getting serious with anyone, I found myself in Illinois from CA.  I was here a year so I had made a few friends.  Well, my friend, "J" had her house get struck my lighting and burned.  So she was living with a friend of hers, "C".  So I had gone and had a beer with both J and C and all of a sudden they said, "hey you're single, and "S" (my FI) is single, and your short, and he is short, you two should meet up!"  I was kind of taken back but I just said sure.  Well C had these monday night hang outs, and invited me to come along.  S showed up and we exchanged hellos.  Well we saw each other every monday for a few months, then we went on a walk together.  That next day he asked C for my number and the rest is history!  He was my first serious bf since '06 and he is absolutely my very best friend and I'm so excited to marry him. :)  But we always joke that it took a lighting strike to bring us together :D
    Anniversary
  • It's fun seeing how so many people meet so casually and never anticipate marrying that person and then look what happens! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also met my FI on an online dating website. I had gotten out of a bad relationship, and a friend and I were talking about how to meet good guys. She suggested I sign up on this website because they were running a free communication weekend. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I signed up. I got a message from my now FI, and we talked online through the weekend. At the end of the weekend I sent him an email and told him my membership was going to expire that day and gave him my email. We emailed, texted, and talked on the phone for a few weeks. Then, I was getting ready to go on vacation with my girlfriends. He told me to call him when I got back in town. We talked that night, then he told me he went out with another girl while I was out of town and thought he owed it to her to see where it went. I didn't really know what to say, so I just told him good luck. He told me he thought I was fun and that he thought we would talk again some day. I told him I appreciated the sentiment, but I didn't want to be anyone's plan B. A few weeks later, he called me and told me things didn't work out with the other girl. We talked for a few more weeks on the phone before he asked me out for coffee. I knew after that date he was the one, and here we are 3 years later, and getting married May 25! I guess sometimes Plan B does work out!
  • I met my FI when we were both in high school. I was dating my children dad at the time. FI was one of the guys in their little crew that hung out after school. I was the ignoring girlfriend trying to spend time with her boyfriend. FI and I knew each other existed but paid each other no attention. We graduated and everyone went their separate ways. 
    Years later, I was talking to my ex and he told me that FI had been asking about me. I looked him up on Facebook and thought he had grown up. haha About a week later FI sent me a friend request and we started chatting. About a month later we decided to go on a date. We both had gone through some rough relationships and decided to just be friends. Our bond got strong and our friendship grew to an relationship. We moved in together and after 3 years he proposed. Life has been great ever since. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I met at a bar he asked me for my phone number and I gave him my best friends ( my MOH) lol. The next day I saw him at the bar again, he approached me and told me I played a dirty trick on him and he would continue to ask for my phone number everytime he saw me. I eventually gave him my number we hung out and I eventually fell in love.... 5 years and 2 kids later we are finally getting married lol (He only had to ask me to marry him once lol)
  • KikiMiraKikiMira member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    We also met online. I went through a pretty rough break up (he cheated on me with 6 other women, had  2 pregnant, stole my credit cards and empty out my bank account) Anyways, I took a lot of months off from men, I worked on me, cleaned up my mess and learned a lot about myself. 

One day after being asked out by one of my guys friend (he was the 5th to ask me out) I decided I would not date with in the "friend zone" and after realizing everyone knows each other with in my group of friends, I decided to sign up for online dating and see where it got me. The first couple months were for fun... Meeting new people and so forth. When I decided to buckle down and find some one serious. Around every corner was really weird and obsessive men. Eventually after another horrible first date, I decided I was done with online dating and signed on for my last time to cancel my account. I had a few new messages and glanced at them quickly too see. One was a profile picture with a dog. I love animals so I opened the message and it was a lame "we have a lot in common, check out my profile and see if you want to get together with me". So I did, it was the funniest profile I had read to date, it made me giggle as this man picked himself apart on his profile and easily laughed at himself. There was one thing on there like "Will I be a fantastic lover? Probably not, I can't go for endless hours like other males on here claim to be able to do. I call BS on you all"... Thats when I messaged him back. He sparked my interest and the rest was history.         
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I met FI on a dating site as well. I wasn't really looking for a serious relationship at the time, wanted to finish my certification and move back to the philly area and didn't want emotional ties holding me back. We went out, had a kinda awkward first date, agreed to go out again and now 2 years later I'm living with him in northern Maryland. 

Ah well. Housing's more affordable here anyway. :)

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards