Snarky Brides

NWR Dumb or bitchy? You decide.

I'm in grad school, and I'm doing the unusual thing of going back to school for the same thing I have my undergraduate degree in. I already have my dream job, and am secure in my field, but would like to teach as an adjunct professor at our local university, and was basically offered the job pending my Master's degree in the field.

I started this past semester, and it's been a struggle with working full time, wedding planning, and a full-time class load at school, but I made it though alive (yay!),and with A's (so far).  I'm working on my final research paper, due on Wednesday, and of course the professor made us do the dreaded peer review on our rough drafts. Well, the girl who reviewed my paper is probably one of the worst human beings on Earth. She is a second year grad student, who had no prior experience in the field, and who is completely smug and full of herself. She often has made comments to me (knowing that I have already worked in the field for a number of years and am a director), such as "Well honey, when you actually get out in the field an work with people, it a lot different from the school classes. I hope you realize that", and "If you need some assistance in learning some intervention techniques, I'm willing to help you, since I did a few weeks of volunteer work over the summer." She often corrects me to tell me how it "really is" in nursing homes (where I work), because she knows best from her volunteer work... She's basically an insufferable, smug person who no one in the class can stand.

So, back to the paper... She got mine, and completely ripped it apart and changed EVERYTHING in the paper to her preferences and incorrect grammar. At one point I had a paragraph that was six sentences long. She removed all periods and strung all sentences together with commas. Now it's a half-page sentence that makes zero sense. She also went through and changed a bunch of minor words so that the sentences don't make sense grammatically (ie: she changed "These studies have similarities in methods..." to "This studies has similarities in methods...").

She didn't do any of these changes in Microsoft Word Track Changes, which would have let me just reject them. No, she just went through and changed things without marking them at all.

I can't tell if she did it on purpose to fuck up my paper, or if she really is just that stupid. Either way, I kind of want to kill her...

I did write to my professor, letting her know what happened, but this girl has her head so far up our professor's ass that the woman told me to make any changes that were suggested. The professor also speaks English as a second language, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't really realize the grammatical errors that were inflicted on my paper. I'm still writing it my way, and if my grade suffers because I didn't take the suggestions, I will just speak to the head of the department. I'm just pissed right now. How could someone be so dumb? (or bitchy?)

Vent over.

Re: NWR Dumb or bitchy? You decide.

• ac411020ac411020 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    My vote is for dumb AND bitchy. Some people are just horrible. I think it's a good idea to write it how you want. If you are currently getting all A's I'm sure you will do fine.
  • I would go through and change all the "edits" back. As a matter of principle.
  • Holy shit. I also vote both dumb and bitchy. I would be so angry! 
    Oh yes, I am seething right now. It is taking me so much longer than it would if she have just used track changes. I think that may have been a part of her evil plan.
  • She sucks. So does your professor. At least you can rest easy knowing this woman will not provide any meaningful competition if you're ever vying for the same job...
    *********************************************************************************

• Lol she sounds like someone I know...  It's always the arrogant ones that know the least.  It's ok, karma will get her back when she graduates and realizes her arrogance was based off of nothing and she's not actually good enough for the job she wants. 
    Honestly it just sounds like she's jealous of you and your experience, she knows you're doing better than her and it drives her nuts that all she can do is be catty and fuck up your paper.
  • I would go through and change all the "edits" back. As a matter of principle.

This. And if your professor sides with the bitchy girl. I would take it to the department chair person.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also voting dumb and bitchy. Best of luck to you.

Anniversary
  • I also vote for dumb AND bitchy. And I second the idea of taking it to the department chair, with your concerns. 

If she did it to you, she's likely done it to other people -- people who might not have your self-assurance that what they're doing is right, so they'll make her dumb and bitchy changes, and their grades will suffer.

I think she's doing it to sabotage other people's grades.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    Oh yes, I am seething right now. It is taking me so much longer than it would if she have just used track changes. I think that may have been a part of her evil plan.
    OK, I really don't mean to be rude but what were you thinking?  Why didn't you keep an original copy?  My classmates and I do this sort of thing frequently, but usually it's a hard copy (so I still have an e-copy) and even if it is electronic, I never ever ever give anyone my only copy.  That's just asking for trouble.
  • wajohnson09wajohnson09 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Dumb and Bitchy!!!!!!

I hope you kept your original draft. Keep the draft/email/copy of her version and if your prof gives you a bad grade attach that sucker to your class evaluation.

I'm finishing up my first semester of grad school. I really want to bitch slap some of my classmates and people I did undergrad classes with.
    Please, tell me more about my company and the job I've been doing for the last 4.5 years, you went to grad school right away and have done one crappy internship but you obviously know more about working in the industry than I do!
    OK, I really don't mean to be rude but what were you thinking?  Why didn't you keep an original copy?  My classmates and I do this sort of thing frequently, but usually it's a hard copy (so I still have an e-copy) and even if it is electronic, I never ever ever give anyone my only copy.  That's just asking for trouble.
    I'm also wondering why you didn't keep your own copy. Or shouldn't you be able to retrieve your original paper from the e-mail you sent her (I'm assuming you e-mailed her the paper)? For future reference, don't ever give someone your one and only copy and let them make changes to it.

I hate doing peer review. I always feel like it's a complete waste of time. I'm sorry she fucked up your paper but she might not have realized that she was making permanent changes. I would never think that someone would send me their only copy for peer review. But she sounds like a pain to deal with. I would just try to minimize my interactions with her from now on.

• I also hate peer review.  I'm in my final year of law school and collaborate on articles for our law journal frequently.  Everyone is smart and has good intentions, and yet things still get fucked up.  It's much more personal and frustrating when it's your own work.

And I hate to pile on-- but why didn't you keep an original copy???  Especially since you knew this girl was dumb/bitchy/both before you gave her your paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Most likely bitchy, with a pinch of dumb. She should know better, being in second year, about how to edit a paper AND proper grammar.

Go back to whatever you had. 

This person would drive me nuts. I'd probably bitch back, "You know I've worked in the field for 5 years. I could teach YOU a thing or two about what its like". 
  • I do have the original, but because she didn't mark her changes, I had to go through everything anyway to see what she had changes. She did make a couple of minor changes (about 3 out of the 100+ things that she had changed) that made sense. Rather than going back and forth comparing the two papers, I just worked off of the one she had used. Our professor also marked papers with a watermark that she insisted stay on our peer reviewed papers, so that she could tell it was the one that had been reviewed (not sure what the purpose of this was). And reviewing was blind, so we all sent our papers to the professor and she distributed them to our classmates. Everyone else in the class is fine, so it was just crappy luck that I got stuck with her.

However, I must retract my previous statements about my professor. She finally got back to me yesterday after reading my e-mails of complaint that I sent to her on the weekend and Monday. She disagreed with 95% of the changes the student made to my paper, and apologized for putting me in that position. After getting over the fact that she waited until the day before the paper was due to actually look at this information, I am relieved that she saw my point.
  • Glad your prof saw the light.  

I'd also vote both... hoping you don't ever have to be partners with this girl again.
  • Oh, thank heavens - happy ending of sorts!  I'm glad that your professor came around. 

• Glad that everything worked out! I still think it's funny how she thought she was hot shit in telling you the difference between school and real life on the field. This girl is just DUMB and living in a cloud.
  • What a mess! I'd have been tempted to do something like turn off Track Changes, correct all the stuff she screwed up, and then turn it back on for the few minor things you said you were ok implementing. I'm not sure how many students know how to use the feature correctly, by the way--you might suggest the prof require everyone to use it in the future, assuming all papers are being reviewed in Word.
  • kitty8403 said:
    What a mess! I'd have been tempted to do something like turn off Track Changes, correct all the stuff she screwed up, and then turn it back on for the few minor things you said you were ok implementing. I'm not sure how many students know how to use the feature correctly, by the way--you might suggest the prof require everyone to use it in the future, assuming all papers are being reviewed in Word.
    We were supposed to use them (they even have them in Open Office, which is a free software that mocks Word. She just didn't because she sucks.

It's okay though. Everything turned out great for me in the end, so I'm happy.
  • Glad to hear that the professor changed her mind about your paper.

Is there anything you can do about Ms. Dumb and Bitchy?  Can you report her to your department head?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards