Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Home Repair Registry?

So the Fiance and I bought an older home a year ago.  We have done a lot of the repairs, but are still in need of many more, most notably a new tear-off roof, gutters, tuckpointing, removing an old diseased tree and a new fence.  One of my friends has offered to create a "registry" website for us where guests could donate to the cause ($5.00 for a box of nails, $7.00 for a piece of fence, $27.00 for a box of shingles, $10.00 for a bottle of ibuprofin, etc.)  We're both older, we've lived together for years, and we don't need any appliances, sheets, towels, dishes or anything else I can think of.  Tacky or practical?

Re: Home Repair Registry?

• Options
    Tacky - this is a cash registry, and it's never appropriate to ask for cash.  Just don't register and people will give you cash of their own volition.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gag! This is sooooooooo rude! If you don't need anything don't register. If people ask about gifts say you are not registered but saving for home repairs.
  • Options
    I agree, I would think this is rude. Just don't register. If people ask where you are registered, just say: "We didn't register anywhere, but we are saving up for some home repairs" and leave it at that. They will get the hint. Everyone knows money is a good wedding gift.

This also means that you must decline all showers offered as this is for boxed gifts only. 
  • Options
    If a local home improvement store has a registry it would be perfectly acceptable to register for tools, nails, and other physical items people can actually buy and give to you. My understanding is Lowe's and Home Depot don't offer a chain wide registry but some local stores have one. Last time I checked Sears wouldn't let you register for their "hard lines" but you could check, that would be a good option.

As pp's said, it is not appropriate to "register" for people to give you money for these types of items. When people ask just tell them you are saving up to fix up your house and don't register.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I think it's tacky.  When people don't register I just give cash, hopefully your guests will do the same!  You can't outright ask for cash (or contributions) though.
  • Options
    Please don't do that.  It's a thinly veiled way to ask for money.  If a home improvement store has a registry where people can actually buy things, that is OK - or don't register and if someone asks, tell them that you don't have a registry but are saving for repairs.

I think a small or nonexistent registry lets people know that you don't need traditional boxed gifts and everyone knows that $ is always appreciated.  
  • Options
    Don't ask for cash-whether it's for repairs, your honeymoon, or whatever.  It's just not appropriate.

This doesn't mean that you have to register, but it doesn't hurt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards