May 2014 Weddings
Options

Gift for my Groom

I have been writing in a diary to him since we started dating. I don't know why I started doing it, something just told me to deep down inside. So I will be giving him those on our wedding day. In addition to that, he had told me way back in the beginning about an idea that he always wanted to do. You have two jars, you start with one jar and for every time you "get busy" you add a penny to jar one. Then after the first year every time you "get busy" you take a penny from jar one and add it to jar two. The idea is to help you keep your "busy life" exciting and give you something to work for. So many people say that after the first few years it slows down and you stop being so "busy"lol. I thought it was a neat idea. Has anyone else ever heard of this or anything similar? I also thought about doing the fight box thing. I'm looking for any suggestions.

Re: Gift for my Groom

• Options
    I forgot to add that you want to end up with all the pennies from the previous year in the second jar. If you run out of pennies you add more to jar two. Each year you alternate the jars trying to take all the pennies out and keep adding to the new jar.
  • Options
    I bought a small notebook that I've been writing in since we got engaged.. bible verses, quotes, little sayings, my feelings, anything really that conveys how I feel about him and our future together.. I think he'll love it :)

want to do the fight box at our wedding but I've been told it may not be the best idea since it will be a dry reception.. maybe we'll do it at the rehearsal dinner instead? or something private just between the two of us.. 

never heard of the penny jars but that sounds like a great idea! I think I may mention it to my FI and see what he thinks...
  • Options
    It's a little more personal, the jars since it deals with the sex life aspect of marriage. A lot of people do the fight box and I don't want to do something every body and their brothers have done!lol. I for sure am doing the jars. Not that i'm saying I want to have rodeos every weekend, if you catch my drift. But the idea behind it is sweet, well maybe not sweet but adventurous for sure! And it's not common. It's also the gift that I will probably wait to give him until we get to the hotel room after the wedding. I don't want to have to explain that gift to anyone in my family..YIKES!!!
  • Options
    What is a fight box?
  • Options
    akopitzkeakopitzke member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    @tammym1001 you and your groom both write letters to each other about why you love one another and why you're getting married. you seal the letters along with a bottle of wine and two glasses inside a wooden box, to be opened on a specific anniversary (10th or 20th or something) or when you hit a rough patch. Then you can read the letters, drink the wine, and remember why it all started! I think its a great idea :)
  • Options
    I agreee it's a great idea. I'm just not sure if it's something were gonna do.
  • Options
    I've seen the idea of putting money in a jar (nothing like monetizing marital sex!) a bunch on pinterest. If it speaks to you go for it, but I don't think it's that much less common then the "fight box" 
    It is probably less heard of then the "fight box" because people get squeamish about sex, even in marriage. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I've never heard of it any where else other than my fiance. I even tried looking generally on google and couldn't find anything. I never thought to look at pintrest though.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about doing the "open when..." letters.  For those of you who dont know what that is, you write your significant other letters for specific times in your lives and on the envelope you write "Open when..." and when to open the letter.  For example, "open when... we're fighting" or "open when... you're feeling sad" or "open when ... you're having a bad day at work".  Then, you just put them all in a box and he can see them the day of.  You can also write one that says "open when... it's our wedding day" so he has something to read that day.  This is a gift that will last a while :)
  • Options

@conneenmurray I thought about doing something like that too instead of the fight box. At least thats what I imagined. I was thinking writing letters for 5 yr 10 15 20,30 so on and so forth. But thats a cute idea also, when you're sad or angry..

• Options
    @dluberts oh!  I like that idea, too!  Writing letters for 5 year 10 year and so on.  I'll have to seriously consider that one.
  • Options
    @conneenmurray i really like the letters idea.  I saw that on pinterest awhile ago and I think it got lost among the thousands of wedding pins on my board.  thanks for the reminder!  I've always written FI notes and I think that's a really good way to keep that tradition (and the way you feel earlier on in your relationship) alive.

i also read somewhere, probably pinterest, that scent is one of the most powerful memory triggers- when i think about it, it's true for me- and so i decided that i'm going to buy FI a cologne as a wedding gift too.  i've been looking for one with a meaningful name (like CK Eternity or One), but I'm not really into the way that those smell. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards