Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music

Hello Ladies! 

I just found out the church we are getting married in will not allow 'secular' music for our wedding ceremony. So, my question to everyone is: Does anyone know of a good entrance song by a Christian artist for my entrance song? Thanks! 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music

• They won't allow secular, but will they allow classical pieces?
    We used Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for the bridesmaids' entrance and I walked down the aisle to Canon in D.

Maybe you could ask the music director there what people usually use? It may give you a better idea.

The only song I can come up with for a processional is Ave Maria.
    imageimageimage
  • The priest who said he's do our wedding is pulling the same stuff with us.  So frustrating!  I want to walk down the aisle to "as time goes by" from casablanca because it's our favorite movie and he won't let us.  We're thinking of finding a new officiant and new ceremony site because we're so upset.  
  • It is very common in most Catholic churches that secular music is not permitted.  If you want the pretty church wedding, you have to play by their rules and save the secular music for the reception. 

I would definitely contact the music director to discuss what you can use, like PP said classical pieces may be permitted. My cousin (married in Catholic church) used Canon in D.

I am using a bagpiper for parts of my ceremony music. I was well aware before even meeting with my priest that I would have to choose church-appropriate music for him to play, not the Dropkick Murphys. 
    Crosswalk
  • You need to talk to the church organist about this. 

They are very experienced with this and weddings, and will know what is allowed and what isn't, and will likely be able to give you many good suggestions of appropriate music selections.

My DD was married in an Episcopal mass (similar to Cahtolic) and they have many of the same restrictions.  Her selections were:

Prelude:  "Hymn" by Vangelis
    Processional:  "Canon in D"
    Pre communion solo:  "Ave Maria"
    Post communion solo: "Panis Angelicus"
    Recessional:  (don't remember the name, something lively and "trumpety", sounded kind of like the "masterpiece theater" music, lol)  I liked "Spring" by Vivaldi, or "A little night music" by Mozart, but the organist didn't want to play it for some reason.

Others considered:
    "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"
    "Joyful Joyful" (Ode to Joy)
    "Morning has Broken"
    "The Prayer"
    "You Raise me up"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholic-wedding-mass-entrance-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:37f78c40-58e0-4fd3-a1e9-32cf8c96dc17Post:25cf9a25-0f2a-45a4-9117-0612d6b823f7">Re: Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music : You mean, asking you to first and foremost honor the Lord in His house? How dare he.
    Posted by Morfudd[/QUOTE]

LOL Morfudd, I was thinking the same thing.  While I may be a very liberal Catholic, I still believe that if you are having a ceremony in any church, that the Black Eyed Peas, Keith Urban or anyone else can wait until the reception. Even if we were getting married at the ballpark or a museum, my ceremony music would still be non-secular.
    Crosswalk
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholic-wedding-mass-entrance-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:37f78c40-58e0-4fd3-a1e9-32cf8c96dc17Post:7c78947a-fc2d-43a9-9ac1-0a93c78d76ca">Re: Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]The priest who said he's do our wedding is pulling the same stuff with us.  So frustrating!  I want to walk down the aisle to "as time goes by" from casablanca because it's our favorite movie and he won't let us.  We're thinking of finding a new officiant and new ceremony site because we're so upset.  
    Posted by anne.azano[/QUOTE]

I'm a church organist, and this really offended me.  In our church, a wedding is a worship service and all aspects of it need to be recognized as a worship service.  We don't allow secular music.  We don't allow photographers to go walking around during the ceremony.  We don't allow pets in the WP. 

And frankly, I'm good with those restrictions.  If you want secular music, have your secular wedding in a non-sacred venue.  But if you want your wedding in a sacred space, you abide by the rules of that space.

No one's saying you can't have the music you want in any aspect of your wedding.  Just not the ceremony.  Play all the secular stuff you want at your reception.  That's the perfect spot for it.

And ditto PP who said to talk with your organist.  I have a large repetoire of music that I can suggest and play for couples to help them make their decision and to make their wedding beautiful.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.  I guess I felt pushed into the church wedding by mother when I'm not very religious.  So, we're looking into other options so we can have the type of ceremony we want without imposing our songs and the type of wedding we want on the priest and the catholic church.  I really didn't mean to upset anyone!  
  • and as I reread my wording in the post, I can see how you would think it was disrespectful.  I really didn't mean to be.  I had just found out I couldn't have the song I want and was upset when I wrote it.   Again, sorry. 
  • I'm sorry you're feeling pressured into a church wedding, and that it is making you unhappy. I've certainly had my own struggles with my priest, but mostly him talking down to me (e.g. "you may be thinking of your favorite soap opera when planning your wedding..."), but I am religious, so it's worth it.

Myhackles were raised, so to speak, because there's a whole breed of bride who thinks it's her RIGHT to do whatever she wants in her Church wedding (even to have it in whatever church she chooses, just because it's pretty, even if she's never attended a service there before).

That's a long way of saying, I accept your apology and wish you the best. I hope the organist sees it, too.

Oh, and OP... there's also a website called "Catholic Wedding Help" that has some music selections, but the classical recommendations already made are both permitted by my church and more to my taste, so I'd talk to your organist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for the apology.  I also, obviously, get "agitated" when people come into our building wanting to use it because it will "look so beautiful in the pictures".  (IT is a stunningly beautiful sanctuary) 

They often have no understanding of Presbyterian traditions, and merely want a lovely backdrop for what they see as a theatrical production rather than a spiritual wedding ceremony.

I think you're right to find a different venue for your wedding.  If the church wedding doesn't mean anything to you and your FI, then don't let your mom pressure into it because it's what SHE wants. 

If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to say "Mom, I know you'd prefer that we get married in the church, but it's just not right for us and not fair to the church to use it falsely.  We hope you'll understand, because we're not chaging our minds on this."

Quick story:  as I said, I'm an organist in a church.  When my DD and SIL got engaged, they came to me and told me that they didn't want to get married in our church.  They wanted an outdoor ceremony, with our minister officiating.  I took, literally 15 seconds to absorb this info, and then said "Great, do you have any location in mijnd, or do you want help researching?"

I hope your mom will do the same.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • There is a song called "Breathe" as sung by Jaime Jamgochian . She's a Christian artist and if your church allows your procession to be a religios song with lyrics, it is the most beautiful song I've heard in a long while. We'll be walking down the aisle to it :)
  • Thanks girls!  I feel better about this... I totally felt guilty for what I said!  Because he's such a good man and I was just upset. Anyway, I'm looking into non-denominational officiants, but I totally feel like a jerk because I was raised Catholic and even though I'm not religious now, no one wants to reject a priest!! 
    Anyway, sorry emv5013... my little drama has totally hijacked your post! I hope you can find some beautiful music for your reception.  Canon in D is truly gorgeous and you can't really beat that.   A hope you all have wonderful weddings and best of luck to all of you.
  • Hey Girls! 

Thanks for all your help. I am really excited to get married in our church, however we aren't allowed to use Canon in D, and we're not using an organist... we're having an acoustic guitar player. So that's the challenge, I was hoping maybe someone had some suggestions that weren't classical pieces but were recent Christian artists songs? We're using Brandon Heath's song "love never fails" as a part of our mass but I'm trying to find something along those lines for my entrance? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here's the general rule on liturgical music (including weddings) in the church: the purpose of music is to inspire to prayer.  Many refer to the "law of association" in determining whether it is appropriate or not.  This does not mean you need to choose a "Christian artist" or use a traditional hymn.  Classical music, whether instrumental or with a religious theme (Ave Maria, Sanctus, Alleluia, Te Deum, etc) is generally acceptable.  The rule of association asks this: What do most people think of when they hear the song.  If it makes them think of a movie, a famous singer, or some other secular thing, it is generally not permissable.  If, on the other hand, it is simply beautiful and inspires any appropriate emotion (praise, thanksgiving, reflection, etc) you are good to go.  Most churches have a liturgical planner who should be able to give you ideas.  There are a ton of online resources to help you pick as well.  (Just mind the rule: Ode to joy=yes, Wind Beneath My Wings=no.)
  • You can try Gathered in the Love of Christ (Pachelbel's Canon in D).  

We found it on http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/catholic-wedding-music-list.htm

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholic-wedding-mass-entrance-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:37f78c40-58e0-4fd3-a1e9-32cf8c96dc17Post:2eb7e33f-d314-4a24-b2af-c3bbb1f01c38">Re: Catholic Wedding Mass - Entrance Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can try Gathered in the Love of Christ (Pachelbel's Canon in D).   We found it on <a href="http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/catholic-wedding-music-list.htm" rel="nofollow">http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/catholic-wedding-music-list.htm</a>
    Posted by Dominoorders[/QUOTE]

<div>Hey! So I recently played at a wedding where the Bride walked out to "Set Me as a Seal" by Matt Maher, which went beautiful with the more contemporary choir that was there. It can easily be done on the guitar. PLUS, the verses are almost straight from the Song of Songs... Hard to say no to walking out to verses from the Bible :) Anyhow, definitely take a listen and consider it.</div>
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/catholic-wedding-music-list.htm

As PP's have mentioned, music played at a Catholic ceremony must be liturgically approved.  However, there are some beautiful and contemporary pieces that are included within this category.

In addition, each parish and/or musical ministry will often have some flexibility in what they are willing to allow.  Your best bet is to make an appointment with someone from the music ministry.  They will often have an extensive list of music options.  Share with them the type of music you like and I am sure they will be able to pair your taste to music appropriate to the sacrament.  

In our parish, for example, they will allow the song, "One Hand, One Heart", commonly known from "West Side Story".  It makes a beautiful accompaniment if you make an offering to the BVM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards