Snarky Brides
Options

Nightmare PPD story

After enough time spent on these message boards I feel its time to share my PPD nightmare story. A good friend of mine told me he met a girl and within 3 months they were engaged. The live in a different state so my FI and I went to visit so I could meet her. While visiting my friend expressed how happy it would make him for us to attend their wedding and making a second trip. I told him we would be happy to. A month or so after our trip I got an email from his FI telling me I had to get to DB to get my bridesmaid dress before X date to be sure I got it in time. I was totally shocked, not once did either of them actually ASK me to be in the wedding. I went along with it because I felt bad since he and I have known eachother for so long. So after conversing with him I agreed to be in the wedding. After I ordered my dress the other bridesmaids expressed they could not afford dresses and eventually the bride had to change the color because there wasnt enough time for the rest of the girls to get the right dress. I had to call DB and change my order and got charged a fee which the bride told me she just could not compensate for since funding was low for them. Fast forward to wedding weekend. My FI and I show up only to be split up for a hen party the night before the wedding which I was not financially prepared for. While at the party the Bride was telling me she and my friend had gotten married 2 months prior for insurance reasons. I WAS TAKING PART IN A PPD THAT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT!!!!!!!!! I pretty much ignored her and her friends the rest of the night and bit my tongue to get through the rest of the weekend. On top of all that I never received any sort of gift of thanks for being in the wedding and we never received a thank you for our gift to them and our time and money to travel to their stupid PPD. Pretty sure it ruined my relationship with them forever!

Re: Nightmare PPD story

• Options
    That royally sucks. I'm sorry they pulled the rug out from under you like that. That would be one relationship I'd have fall to the wayside and die slowly.
  • Options
    Ugh that sounds horrible. Beyond tacky. Btw- what is a hen party?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I believe it's like a bridal party/ close female friend slumber party that usually takes place before the wedding day and the next morning the ladies get ready together.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a bachelorette party.
  • Options
    That sounds terrible.  I just came around in my Netflix to the episode of Say Yes to the Dress with the two married women doing PPDs (one of whom wanted a $10k ballgown).  I got so hot under the collar just watching it I had to skip it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    After enough time spent on these message boards I feel its time to share my PPD nightmare story. A good friend of mine told me he met a girl and within 3 months they were engaged. The live in a different state so my FI and I went to visit so I could meet her. While visiting my friend expressed how happy it would make him for us to attend their wedding and making a second trip. I told him we would be happy to. A month or so after our trip I got an email from his FI telling me I had to get to DB to get my bridesmaid dress before X date to be sure I got it in time. I was totally shocked, not once did either of them actually ASK me to be in the wedding. I went along with it because I felt bad since he and I have known eachother for so long. So after conversing with him I agreed to be in the wedding. After I ordered my dress the other bridesmaids expressed they could not afford dresses and eventually the bride had to change the color because there wasnt enough time for the rest of the girls to get the right dress. I had to call DB and change my order and got charged a fee which the bride told me she just could not compensate for since funding was low for them. Fast forward to wedding weekend. My FI and I show up only to be split up for a hen party the night before the wedding which I was not financially prepared for. While at the party the Bride was telling me she and my friend had gotten married 2 months prior for insurance reasons. I WAS TAKING PART IN A PPD THAT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT!!!!!!!!! I pretty much ignored her and her friends the rest of the night and bit my tongue to get through the rest of the weekend. On top of all that I never received any sort of gift of thanks for being in the wedding and we never received a thank you for our gift to them and our time and money to travel to their stupid PPD. Pretty sure it ruined my relationship with them forever!

You are a better person than me.  I'm not sure I could hold my tongue on such blatant lying and manipulation.  To the bolded......this comes as no surprise to me whatsoever.  For anyone that has such a lack of consideration and ease in ability to lie, it would come as no surprise that rudeness and classlessness would carry over in all other aspects of their life.
  • Options
    You know what strikes me about the whole thing...it's not like they were exactly hiding it.  They just didn't know that what they were doing was so controversial! 

Ignorance is not always bliss...
  • Options
    well I wouldn't necessarily say they were open about it. I spoke with each of them several times before the wedding and knew nothing about it. I think she was just too full of shots to realize what she said to me lol. Oh and yes a Hen party is a bachelorette party.
  • Options
    Were you ever close to this bride? I imagine it might have added to the awkwardness if you barely knew this woman.
  • Options
    The night before the wedding was the second time I ever saw her. Prior to that my FI and I spent maybe 3 hours max with them on our first visit. After the whole bridesmaid issue I spoke with her a handful of times about the wedding and what was needed. So yes it was definitely awkward especially because I was putting so much time and effort into my own wedding and thought it wasn't fair that I was patient with my wedding and becoming a wife after knowing my FI for 8 years and she just kinda ran into it all full steam ahead after only a few months and got her PPD
  • Options
    That's awful! 
  • Options
    Wow what a peach she must be... Sorry for the awkwardness u had to endure!
  • Options
    But they deserve s big party donchaknow?!
  • Options
    uuugh! That whole thing sucks and I can't believe she wouldn't even pay to change the dress! The worst part is that your friends with the guy, not her, and since he's a dude I'm sure he has no idea what a faux-pas the PPD is!! She probably just told him it's common and he said ok sure. 

One of my friends told me about a week before her wedding (after I had attended the shower and bachelorette party) that she had gotten married 3 months prior for insurance reasons. I felt super cheated and weird being at their wedding....as if that's not bad enough...she cheated on him and got divorced 9 months later. And then married the other guy at the courthouse and didn't tell any of us friends again for 4 months! People are such nutcases lol 
  • Options
    A: If she changed the dress she should have refunded you
    B: anyone who becomes a bridesmaid is ASKED DIRECTLY. it is a financial commitment to those who arent close to the bride(as you said your FH was friends with the FH)
    C: Secret PPDs are stupid. Everyone knows my PPD is a PPD they all know! Ahead of time! 
  • Options
    pinkcow13 said:

Ugh that sounds horrible. Beyond tacky. Btw- what is a hen party?

@pinkcow13

A hen party is when the bride and all her girl friends (although men are slowly becoming more accepted as it's much more common is for women to have close male friends) go out for the day/night/weekend/whatever. Typically involves "I'm the bride" sashes/hats/et cetera, drinking, and some kind of male stripper event, although in no way has to. It could be a morning ice skating followed by a nice lunch at the local cafe, or whatever, really.
    I believe it's our English word for your bachelorette party.

The men go on a "stag do". This is in no way related to your "stag party" money-grab thingies. A stag do is a hen party for the groom and his friends.

And that's what we have in the UK (as far as I know). Showers, stag-or-hen, wedding.
    No money/buy-a-ticket/raffle/donate-to-honeymoon or other party.

It weirded me out when I first read on here about "buck and does" or whatever they're called.

• Options
    Anaelsea said:
    B: anyone who becomes a bridesmaid is ASKED DIRECTLY. it is a financial commitment to those who arent close to the bride(as you said your FH was friends with the FH)
    C: Secret PPDs are stupid. Everyone knows my PPD is a PPD they all know! Ahead of time! 
    *face palm*
  • Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Anaelsea said:
    *face palm*
    My thoughts exactly.

Also secret or not a PPD is in poor taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards