Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

"tasting" vs. sampling...

Hi all, 

I know -- weird question. But I've just set up a date with my vendor to sample foods. My package calls for one item under app and one item under soup/salad. I've been asked to pick one item to taste for each. Is that typical? I thought the point of a tasting (for an already booked vendor) was to sample a couple options to know which you like best, not to check the quality of the food in general...but maybe I'm wrong. Is there something else I'm supposed to be observing? 

Many thanks in advance!

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

Re: "tasting" vs. sampling...

• Every venue is different. With my venue they offered five apps and three entrees to try.

I think, especially for apps, you would want to try a variety of options since you will most likely be serving more then one appetizer.

If you are concerned then I would call up your vendor and ask them about their policy.

• Hi all, 

I know -- weird question. But I've just set up a date with my vendor to sample foods. My package calls for one item under app and one item under soup/salad. I've been asked to pick one item to taste for each. Is that typical? I thought the point of a tasting (for an already booked vendor) was to sample a couple options to know which you like best, not to check the quality of the food in general...but maybe I'm wrong. Is there something else I'm supposed to be observing? 

Many thanks in advance!
    @levieenrose

It is a little strange but it is not unheard of. I agree with @Maggie0829 and that I would call the venue / vendor and ask them about it. If you have to pay a little extra to try a couple more than you might want to consider it - especially since there is a risk that you may not like the 1 appetizer that you originally pick out to try.
  • @levieenrose my venue is the same... we narrowed down our menu to what we want, and now we get to do a complimentary tasting of those items. If we don't like what we've chosen, we can set up another tasting, for a fee. Just depends on your venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • this is what our venue did as well.  I got to select something like 4 hors d'evours (even though we will be getting 7 for the wedding) 1 app, 1 salad and 2 dinner options.  I had narrowed down options and picked stuff I think I'd want at the wedding, but we ended up choosing two dinner options that we didn't even try.   it at least gave us an idea of how their food is presented and the chef came out to introduce himself and served us, which was nice.  

• For ours, we picked out what we would like for our menu, and then they made everything we wanted on the menu and let us try it. We were allowed to modify things and Chef was extremely kind about it all. He made sure we felt comfortable and knew that we were not stuck on "his" vision of the food.
  • Our caterer had us decide on a menu first, then we went in for a tasting where we had the chance to try everything that we were gong to serve.  The menu was not finalized until after the tasting though, so for a fee we could change our minds and try different items on a different day.  Like other pp's we also got to meet the chef that is going to be at our wedding (assuming no illness or change in staff before then.)
  • Thank you all for the input! 

Yes, it ended up that we would have had the opportunity to try other things--but it's just as well that they limited it. Everything was so good, it would have ended up being more overwhelming to have more options. 

Thanks again! :) 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards