December 2014 Weddings

Planning around holidays?

We are still tentative on the date, but December is what I really want. My big concern though is that where we live will be kind of like a destination wedding for many of the guests, so I'm worried about putting it right in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Has anyone else run into possible problems with that, such as people you really want to be there possibly not being able to because of holiday commitments, travel being more difficult, etc?

Re: Planning around holidays?

• My fiance and I chose December the 5th, and our worry was that people wouldn't be able to take time off to come (it's during the week, and we have a lot of non-English guests), but we have spoken to most of them, and they have all said that yes, they will be able to take time off. If your wedding is actually during people's time off, then I shouldn't see what the problem with the dates is. People won't be busy the entire holidays, and I'm sure most people would take a day off family for a wedding.
  • We have chosen 12/27/14 and since it is right after Christmas that was my concern. But since I just recently graduated college and a lot of our friends frm high shool may still live ut of town, we figured hey may already be in town for Christmas so they won't have to make a separate trip.

• Most of our guests are in town but the few from out of town have decided to make the wedding their big vacation for the year or extend the holidays out. My family decided to come up early and my uncle planned his vacation accordingly. My fiances family is coming from out of country and they arranged to just stay for Christmas. People will make it work if they know far enough out.
  • eg72 said:

We have chosen 12/27/14 and since it is right after Christmas that was my concern. But since I just recently graduated college and a lot of our friends frm high shool may still live ut of town, we figured hey may already be in town for Christmas so they won't have to make a separate trip.

Same- we're 12/26.  The vast majority of our out of town guests are either from the area and will be "home" for the holidays, or family who will come visit for the holidays.  It's tough but no date is going to be convenient for everyone.  Plus, it's the time of year where we already have several days off work- yeah long honeymoon! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going with 12/30/14, as it's after Christmas but before New Years (and many take time off during that week), and for the younger crowd, school is out. We thought that it would give people enough time to travel after Christmas, although my FI and his family will be spending Christmas with us. 

Granted, it's not in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as you had mentioned, but it might help to reduce some of the stress leading up to Christmas. 
  • We are getting married December 27 as well.  It works for most people since they will be home for the holidays, but some cant come.

Just curious what your color schemes are and what you are doing for a rehearsal dinner since it's the day after Christmas?!?!

Thanks!

• @jboneall I wanted to stay away from "Christmas" colors because I don't want it to be Christmas themed. I know another  bride is doing an al out Christmas themed wedding, so it really needs to cater toward your needs.

I'm going with a very neutral palette. Girls in a blush pink, guys in navy, decorations are ivory and gold.

RD is going to be Italian food.

• We are having our rehearsal dinner on December 23rd.  I'm so excited- last day of work for 3 weeks, and get to kick off all the fun right away :).  A bigger "problem" for us is where to spend the wedding night, for some reason I don't really feel like spending Christmas night alone in a hotel!  I sleep much better with FI, but we also kind of want to spend the night apart?  No big deal though, we have time to figure it out.

We don't really have colors, just using 20's/30's as style inspiration, but are kind of gravitating toward gold and deep moody colors.  Like this bouquet is my favorite.

Keep in mind that there's a good chance your venue will have some sort of holiday decorations up!  Might be nice to find out, it could either clash with your scheme or be beautiful and save you lots of money on decorations :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards