Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Just some live and learn advice...

I recently had my wedding, and I would like to just put it out there that brides-to-be do not dismiss getting a videographer. I thought I would never watch my wedding video, it was a stupid waste of money, that pictures would capture the day, ect ect. I was SO wrong.

The second after our wedding ended I regretted not having a videographer, and if I had a time machine I would go back and get one. Yes, I have gorgeous pictures, but I will never be able to listen to my dad's or brother's speech, I won't be able to watch our ceremony and hear our vows...or when I had to correct the priest because he skipped a section and kept forgetting my name lol. I won't be able to see our first dance or my dance with my father. Everything is in memory and memories fade...and pictures only tell so much, but they don't capture words.

So, if you are having a wedding and doing the whole shebang, get a videographer. If you are having a minimalist wedding or keeping things small then maybe this advice isn't for you. But for me, with all the money that was spent I should have just bucked up to pay a videographer. Such a beautiful wedding but I stupidly decided to cheap out on just one aspect I wrongly assumed I would never want. Even my husband, who doesn't usually care about such details and issues, wishes we got a videographer. So ladies, if you are on the fence, hire a videographer, if you decided against it, re-evaluate because you can't get a do-over.

Re: Just some live and learn advice...

• I recently had my wedding, and I would like to just put it out there that brides-to-be do not dismiss getting a videographer. I thought I would never watch my wedding video, it was a stupid waste of money, that pictures would capture the day, ect ect. I was SO wrong.

The second after our wedding ended I regretted not having a videographer, and if I had a time machine I would go back and get one. Yes, I have gorgeous pictures, but I will never be able to listen to my dad's or brother's speech, I won't be able to watch our ceremony and hear our vows...or when I had to correct the priest because he skipped a section and kept forgetting my name lol. I won't be able to see our first dance or my dance with my father. Everything is in memory and memories fade...and pictures only tell so much, but they don't capture words.

So, if you are having a wedding and doing the whole shebang, get a videographer. If you are having a minimalist wedding or keeping things small then maybe this advice isn't for you. But for me, with all the money that was spent I should have just bucked up to pay a videographer. Such a beautiful wedding but I stupidly decided to cheap out on just one aspect I wrongly assumed I would never want. Even my husband, who doesn't usually care about such details and issues, wishes we got a videographer. So ladies, if you are on the fence, hire a videographer, if you decided against it, re-evaluate because you can't get a do-over.

I don't think the size or type of wedding determines if you should have a videographer or not.

I still think it's a personal decision.  If I had to go back and do it again, I probably would hire one.  But I'm not kicking myself for our decision.  I found that the weeks and months immediately following our wedding I was very sentimental for the day and wanted to do it over because I loved our wedding day.  It gets better the longer time has elapsed since your wedding!  I'm content with photos.....I know I would've watched the video once or twice and that would've been it.
  • I also wish I had gotten a videographer especially since my photos turned out TERRIBLE.

• While I wasn't planning to have a videographer in the beginning of the whole planning process, I noticed that I would probably end up regreting the decision my wedding day is over. The whole day goes by so fast and you probably don't even notice half the things going on.

FIs cousin offered to film, but we'd have to edit the whole thing ourselves but neither do we have the resources to edit multiple hours of HD coverage nor would I want FIs cousin to spend our entire wedding day behind a camera (her kids are in the wedding).
    We found a videographer on a wedding show and are meeting with him next week to discuss timeline, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards