Pre-wedding Parties

Help me pick the shower menu!

I'm MoH for my sister's wedding and planning a shower for her at a winery in the Finger Lakes. I haven't been to many showers, and so I'd love some insights on what kind of food to have (I'm catering it; yes I can actually cook)...like if it's traditional to stay with more "girly" food or to do a more substantial meal. The bride is a foodie but will eat pretty much anything, and the shower is a lunch shower (11-2).
Here are my options (not going to do all of these; probably only 15 guests):

Savory
Assorted Cheeses (to go with the wine we'll be tasting)
Curried walnuts
Muhammara & hummus with veggies/pita
Pinwheel sandwiches
Caprese skewers
Crab in cucumber cups
Samosa stuffed twice baked potatoes
Pesto bread

Sweet

Pie
Blondies
Pumpkin whoopie pies
Fruit with marshmallow dip

What would you be excited to try?  What would you skip?  What's missing?  She wants the details to be a surprise which is why I'm not asking her. I need this stuff to survive a 45-minute car ride which is why there's nothing that delicate on here.

Re: Help me pick the shower menu!

• @mazilora

In my opinion, I would go with the savory since you're having it at a winery and some sweets may not go well with the wines you would be having. I think it's a safer bet to go with Savory.
  • Oh sorry, this wasn't meant as an either/or--i was just trying to enumerate which were sweet and which were savory. Any specific items that sound good or not good?
  • I like these menu ideas!  My suggestions are to do plain nuts or if there is flavoring go with something more mainstream than curried walnuts.  I know a lot of people that do not like curry.  A chocolate dessert might be a nice addition.  Some wines pair very nicely with chocolate.  Maybe mini cupcakes or a chocolate torte instead of the pie.  Twice baked potatoes sound delicious but maybe it is easier to leave those off since they may be better served hot and that will be one more thing for you to worry about?

• Fruit and pumpkin whoppie pies, cause pumpkin whoppie pies rule.

Anniversary
  • mazilora said:
    I'm MoH for my sister's wedding and planning a shower for her at a winery in the Finger Lakes. I haven't been to many showers, and so I'd love some insights on what kind of food to have (I'm catering it; yes I can actually cook)...like if it's traditional to stay with more "girly" food or to do a more substantial meal. The bride is a foodie but will eat pretty much anything, and the shower is a lunch shower (11-2).

Savory
    Curried walnuts
    Pinwheel sandwiches
    Caprese skewers
    Crab in cucumber cups
    Pesto bread

Sweet

Pie
    Blondies
    Pumpkin whoopie pies

What would you be excited to try?  What would you skip?  What's missing?  She wants the details to be a surprise which is why I'm not asking her. I need this stuff to survive a 45-minute car ride which is why there's nothing that delicate on here.
    I bolded the stuff I might be able to eat (I can't eat gluten) that I would enjoy.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    mazilora said:

Savory
    Curried walnuts
    Pinwheel sandwiches
    Caprese skewers
    Crab in cucumber cups
    Pesto bread

Sweet

Pie
    Blondies
    Pumpkin whoopie pies

I would be excited to try the cheeses, the caprese skewers, the crab cucumber cups and the samosa stuffed potatoes.   The potatoes do look a little out of place though, unless they are baby potatoes?

The only thing that I would try for the sweets is the fruit/dip.  
  • When I planned my sister's baby shower, I stuck with all foods that would be easy to eat one-handed without rolling onto the floor, so people could walk around and mingle if they wanted to. IMO, anything that needs to be eaten with a fork and knife (like the potatoes) is horribly inconvenient at a party. Maybe I'm just lazy though. ;) So maybe a tiny new potato that you could pick up and eat in 2 bites, or put the fruit/veggies on skewers standing in a little cup of the dip/hummus. Skewers travel well then you'd just assemble the cups when you get there.

Cheese always wins. And whoopie pies. Just make sure you have enough variety of flavors in the desserts - something lemon, something chocolate, etc.

• I like your savory suggestions.  Not totally sure about the sweets.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards