Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invitation Wording? HELP/AYUDAME !?!

I am not even certain if this is the best board to be posting on. anyhow here it goes...

My fiancee and are are set to wed June of 2014, and are over our capacity for the "reception" Our guest list is at 175ppl, in which we do not want to cut any of our guest, however the reception hall will only seat 120ppl. We have decided to invite everyone to the Ceremony which in my opinion, is the MOST IMPORTANT part of this day which we want these individuals to share w/us, as it seats 200ppl.

The dining portion we can only seat 120ppl which will be for our family, therefor we will now have two wedding invitations one which states due to limited seating etc etc, we are unable to have everyone to join us for the dining portion of the reception; however invite those who would like to return at such and such time to join us in the "after party"... This has seemed to be the most difficult part for us, as we are unsure how to word the invitations, and we are aware this is certainly different from many wedding experiences, and want to create as little confusion/frustration as possible... 

We indeed are aware that some feelings may be hurt, and that in reality we are unable to please everyone.

Re: Invitation Wording? HELP/AYUDAME !?!

• Options

No, don't do this.  Either cut your list for the entire wedding (ceremony and reception) to 120 (including people's significant others, of course) or find a reception new venue that can host everyone you want to invite.

• Options
    Thank You all for your advice and input. My fiancee and I very open to suggestions and what have you... Though some of the responses have taken me by surprise, and left it a tad bit uneasy to not feel attacked, when being informed that this Idea is rude and or bad. 

Yet you all are entitled to your own opinions which i do indeed need and want to hear...

I may have worded my post entirely wrong, and if so that is my fault. A change a venue will not work in my case, as I have suggested with our families, on the available options for dining to include everyone, yet have been struck down...This goes in stating " we cannot please everyone" which is a fact in any situation...IE having to cut our guest list, will not satisfy us, as many will be excluded including family and friends. 

Am I wrong in stating that the Ceremony is the most important part to witness & be apart of? I feel this way being that I feel honored when invited to weddings, as it is something so intimate & personal, that I would not feel any frustration or anger if only invited to the CEREMONY and Later Part of the reception..

Would it be better if we had no "DINNER RECEPTION" at all, and simply had a "Mock-tail" hour after the ceremony to allow for photos etc, and then have our "Partying portion" of the reception?

I suppose that what I see is a wedding in three parts:
    1. Ceremony
    2. Dinning 
    3. After Party  (Generally grouped as one and known to be the reception)

The only thing that some would not be part of is the Dinning w/our families.
    Or would it be best if none of this was stated, and we  simply sent our invitations, and invite EVERYONE all 175 to the "Reception" at a designated time?
  • Options
    Maybe OP already signed a contract for the venue?  

You need to invite everyone to all parts of your wedding.  Switch your reception to be a cocktail/dancing reception or a buffet reception with heavy apps and desserts.  You don't have to have formal tables then but can have smaller cocktail tables, so hopefully more people can fit.  Just make sure you have a seat for every butt.
  • Options
    You get one guest list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you CAN'T change venues, and you CAN'T cut your guestlist, you need to do something like @crazycatlady3 said, change your plated dinner reception into a cake and punch / cocktail apps/dessert reception at a non meal time. You also should have the reception at a non-meal time if you are not able to serve enough apps to make up for a meal.

Best of luck to you

Anniversary
  • Options
    If you already have a signed contract for your reception site, then your guest list cannot go over 120 people...for the ENTIRE event. Period. The only other option is to forfeit your deposit for the site and find another one. Why did you book a venue that didn't have enough room for all your guests? That should have been your first consideration after budget - is it big enough for everyone? That's where you made your first mistake. The 'perfect site' isn't perfect if everyone can't be there. If your family won't 'let' you change your venue, and they're paying, then decline their money and plan and pay for your own wedding where everyone is included equally. I'm sorry you felt attacked, but the only appropriate thing is for you to include all your invited guests in the entire event. You can't find the words to do it because you know those words will be rude. Yes, the ceremony is the most important part, but the reception is out of appreciation for those who came to the reception. Your after-party is the same event as the ceremony and reception. If you don't invite the ceremony guests to the reception, you're saying that you really don't care that they attended at all and that you don't appreciate them making the effort. I know you don't feel that way.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    And yes, a ceremony only invite is seen as a direct insult by a lot of people I know. It is entirely possible that your friends and family will not 'understand', and it will affect your relationship with them forever...if it survives at all.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Effing DP. Again.
  • Options
    I am not even certain if this is the best board to be posting on. anyhow here it goes...

My fiancee and are are set to wed June of 2014, and are over our capacity for the "reception" Our guest list is at 175ppl, in which we do not want to cut any of our guest, however the reception hall will only seat 120ppl. We have decided to invite everyone to the Ceremony which in my opinion, is the MOST IMPORTANT part of this day which we want these individuals to share w/us, as it seats 200ppl.

The dining portion we can only seat 120ppl which will be for our family, therefor we will now have two wedding invitations one which states due to limited seating etc etc, we are unable to have everyone to join us for the dining portion of the reception; however invite those who would like to return at such and such time to join us in the "after party"... This has seemed to be the most difficult part for us, as we are unsure how to word the invitations, and we are aware this is certainly different from many wedding experiences, and want to create as little confusion/frustration as possible... 

We indeed are aware that some feelings may be hurt, and that in reality we are unable to please everyone.
    This is an awful, awful, horrible, no good, really bad idea.  Incredibly rude.  DO NOT invite people to the ceremony and not the full reception.  It shouldn't even be an option in your mind.

• Options
    There is no acceptable way to do what you want to do, so we can't help you with wording something that is rude.

There are no "three parts" of the wedding. There is the ceremony, where the couple marry, and the reception. (a.k.a. dinner) that thanks the ceremony guests. Despite the fact that it "will not satisfy" you, your only options are to cut your guest list or change venues. You're old enough to get married, so you're old enough to make adult decisions about your wedding, including paying for it if your families don't like those decisions. It is the only right thing to do.
  • Options

Why in the world did you book a venue that only seats 120 when your guest list is 175?  
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    If you already signed the contract/paid a deposit on your venue, you need to cut your guest list to 120 people.  There is no other option.

Otherwise, find a venue that holds 175 people.

While you're not able or required to please everyone, deliberately making an inappropriate choice while knowing that it will hurt feelings and shrugging it off with "We indeed are aware that some feelings may be hurt, and that in reality we are unable to please everyone" is reprehensible.  Good hosting means taking into account the feelings of those you are inviting and not being dismissive of their needs.
  • Options
    If you already have a signed contract for your reception site, then your guest list cannot go over 120 people...for the ENTIRE event. Period. The only other option is to forfeit your deposit for the site and find another one. Why did you book a venue that didn't have enough room for all your guests? That should have been your first consideration after budget - is it big enough for everyone? That's where you made your first mistake. The 'perfect site' isn't perfect if everyone can't be there. If your family won't 'let' you change your venue, and they're paying, then decline their money and plan and pay for your own wedding where everyone is included equally. I'm sorry you felt attacked, but the only appropriate thing is for you to include all your invited guests in the entire event. You can't find the words to do it because you know those words will be rude. Yes, the ceremony is the most important part, but the reception is out of appreciation for those who came to the reception. Your after-party is the same event as the ceremony and reception. If you don't invite the ceremony guests to the reception, you're saying that you really don't care that they attended at all and that you don't appreciate them making the effort. I know you don't feel that way.
    For some venues, they can hold a certain amount for sit-down dinner seating, and another amount for cocktail seating.  That's why there might be two capacities.  My venue was like this .

Of course, she still needs to make sure that if she does cocktail seating that there are physically enough seats for every butt.  But just clarifying that this may not be a contractual problem.

SaveSave
  • Options
    You have received good advice from everyone here.  Your wedding and reception (including any dinner you serve) are ONE event, not three.  Once you invite someone to the wedding you must host them for the entire event.

• Options
    It's just plain not okay to rank your guests. You knew from the start that this is a hurtful thing. Why would you hurt people you claim to care about?
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:

This is an awful, awful, horrible, no good, really bad idea.  Incredibly rude.  DO NOT invite people to the ceremony and not the full reception.  It shouldn't even be an option in your mind.

Viczaesar I was just talking to FI about this book the other day! It was one of my favorites as a child.

(Also, I hope thats what your intentions were, if not then just ignore this.)

• Options

I couldn't read the rest of your post after reading the first bold section. I felt like it wasn't going to end well.

If you want 175 ppl at your wedding, find a venue that seats that or cut the list. You NEVER invite people only to the ceremony. That's like saying (and Im not sure if anyone has already posted this since I havent read through the comments yet) "You're totally important to me and I want you to see me get married, but I don't want to feed you."
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    If you CAN'T change venues, and you CAN'T cut your guestlist, you need to do something like @crazycatlady3 said, change your plated dinner reception into a cake and punch / cocktail apps/dessert reception at a non meal time. You also should have the reception at a non-meal time if you are not able to serve enough apps to make up for a meal.

Best of luck to you
    DH had a friend who did this. That couple just wanted a quick wedding type situation and not a big shindig at all. They didn't want to spend that much money but wanted everyone invited. So cake and punch it was. It wasn't personally a wedding my DH at the time wanted to really go to, but now in hindsight we can see why they did that. Perhaps if he was the age he's at now he would have appreciated it more. He was just looking to get drunk basically. 
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    For some venues, they can hold a certain amount for sit-down dinner seating, and another amount for cocktail seating.  That's why there might be two capacities.  My venue was like this .

Of course, she still needs to make sure that if she does cocktail seating that there are physically enough seats for every butt.  But just clarifying that this may not be a contractual problem.
    This.  My venue holds 85 for sit down dinner reception w/ dance floor or 150 for a cocktail reception.  If she switches to a cocktail reception she should probably be able to keep the venue.  If she serves enough heavy apps to constitute a meal she also won't have to change the timing.
  • Options
    Re: Invitation Wording? HELP/AYUDAME !?!....What does ayudame signify?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards