Louisiana-New Orleans

OOT BUDGET BRIDES: Did you hire a planner?!

Okay, so both myself and my fiancé are OOT and 100% of our guests will be OOT and traveling from all over (some internationally).  We are estimating about 100 will show up (but it might go up to 125).  Our total budget is approximately 15k.  My dress and invitations are paid for by our parents.  We've looked into some venues and done a lot of research already but our big question is  SHOULD WE HIRE A PLANNER?

We'd ideally like to hire a planner because we aren't there, however I haven't been quoted for less than $2,200 (while others actually had the gall to quote me at 10k knowing my budget was 15k!).  We are concerned that while having a planner is probably a great idea, if its the difference between us having a better experience for our guests or a planner we are unsure what to do.

So what do you think?  Planner or not?  THANKS!!

Re: OOT BUDGET BRIDES: Did you hire a planner?!

• I think with your budget, it definitely makes sense to hire a day of coordinator who will give you some advice.  Mine gave me some vendor recommendations and gave me some tips for getting things done in New Orleans.  Some vendors just run on a different time frame, and it's helpful to have a coordinator at the end to wrangle them together.  I'm not sure what the going rate is, but you would likely still need to pay $1,500-2,000 for this service.  You'll just have to decide if you can fit it into your budget.
  • Having a day of coordinator was worth it to me. I was worried about trying to enjoy the day and coordinate chairs, musicians, etc., and I was able to plan everything myself then turn the information over to a DOC who handled it.  She also helped me with recommendations for some of our vendors. We paid less than a thousand, and it allowed me to really focus on being the bride and not a party planner!
  • I think having at least a day of coordinator is well worth it so that you are actually able to enjoy the big day!  These two ladies are a little more cost effective (still between $1300-$1600 for month of services).

These are pretty competitive costs for these services, so if you decide to go with a planner, I wouldn't expect to pay less than this for month of.  Congrats and best of luck with your decision!
  • edited January 2014
    Depending on your venue you may get a day of coordinator. We went with Southern Oaks Plantation and they have one. We only have to choose our cake, transportation, flowers, and favors. They have vendor recommendations which made things really easy.
  • Actually, I may disagree with the suggestions above. I know the coordinator for NolaBash (who does beautiful work) and she mentioned with my budget of 12k I was better off asking a family friend (NOT a sister or mother) to handle the day of events for me. Piece of mind is great but with a budget of 12k, 2k is a big chunk. If you don't have a family friend or a venue that provides someone go to Craigslist, I know it's crazy but sometime people are looking to build a pro folio and will offer free or cheap planning services. 
  • I would say if you can - hire a day of coordinator.  Honestly, one of the best investments we made (and in truth we stretched the budget a little just to allow for this).  It gave me added peace of mind on what was a pretty hectic day to know that someone other than me (or my mom or my maid of honor) was handling any potential snafu (like the groom's cake arriving with the wrong college mascot on it), confirming music selections, dealing with transportation, handing out tips, etc. the day/night of.  
    dml
  • I'm in the same situation than you, we are both OOT and we are doing everything online.
    When you think YES OR NO for a planner, I think it depends on the time you have available more than how far you are, it does help to be near the location your getting married but if that's not the case, there are so many options online, so many websites to look into. But like I said it depends on your time, it requires dedication, hours on the phone asking or email going back and forth with vendors.

Also being organized and if your fiancé is willing to help; we split "responsibilities" he was in charge of music, officiant and photos.we also made a list of venues and split to email them. It took us some time but I think we did ok. Now we are only thinking on a day of wedding so we can enjoy that day. Our budget is $10k for 35 people and that saved us some money to spend in other details we care about.

Good luck with what ever you decide and if you wish PM me if you want me to send you the information and prices we found =)

• My review of my day of coordinator is here.  I can't recommend her enough.  I am a corporate event planner for a living and I thought I could do it all until 2 weeks out and I realized I needed someone to execute my vision so I can enjoy it.  Next to my second line, it was the best money I spent!  http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1005267/vendor-reviews-from-november-9th-wedding#latest

• Thank you guys.  We did a lot of work ourselves over the holidays.  But still decided that because we're pretty far away from Nola we should hire someone.  I interviewed a TON of coordinators and decided to get a month of + design package (PM me for details!). The weight that lifted off my shoulders is probably worth the price and she hasn't even done anything for us yet!  Now it's learning how not to feel bad about being annoying... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards