Snarky Brides

Saw a PPD Bride Today

I went to meet with a florist this afternoon for the first time and while I was going over my thoughts with her she had a bride come in to pick up a bouquet and a single boutonniere. The florist excused herself for a moment to assist the bride (which I had no problem with) and as the they said their goodbyes the florist said something along the lines of "hope to work with you again soon!" and the bride responded with "Oh of course, we'll contact you when we do the big wedding for real!".  After the bride left the florist mentioned to me how that bride was doing a private NYE ceremony tonight because she wanted to have a NYE anniversary and was planning to do a larger wedding sometime in 2014.  She wasn't promoting a PPD, but saw my confused look after the other bride's comment.

So apparently private weddings aren't "real" weddings.   

On a positive note, I loved the florist, so yay!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Saw a PPD Bride Today

• Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    How tacky. I never understood the thought behind that statement, "Real Weddings.." Pffft FFS, when you get married, That's a REAL wedding. You are officially married, not pretending and dressing up like a 6 year old with a pink boa and a "Princess Bride" banner draped around her. It's legal and therefore a REAL flipping wedding.

ETA: Glad you found a good florist though! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't understand people's obsession with the date of their wedding.

Your anniversary is special because it's the day you got married.  You don't need it to be 11/11/11 or 12/13/14 or New years eve or Valentines day or whatever.

I mean, if you can make it work on a cool day, then go for it.  But I just wouldn't compromise everything or have a freaking PPD just so that my anniversary could be a special date.

SaveSave
  • OK. They want to celebrate their anniversary on NYE. What is the point of a PPD on a different date? They clearly won't acknowledge it as their anniversary. I will never understand this mentality.
  • Apparently they weren't able to have a "real" NYE wedding, so they have to have it on a later date, and just have the legal one today.

I agree it makes no sense though.  Most PPD couples seem to celebrate their PPD ("real wedding") as their anniversary, not the ACTUAL legal date.

SaveSave
  • ugh...so what date do they put on legal paperwork???
    it just doesnt make sense.  Men have a hard enough time remembering one date let alone two!
  • That...is so...ridiculous.

I have some new meanings for PPD (Pretty Princess Day) in response to this:

People Prefer Drama
    Please Pretend Day
    Personal Party Day

• aefitz29 said:
    That...is so...ridiculous.

People Prefer Drama
    Please Pretend Day
    Personal Party Day

Pretend Party Day
    Princess Pampering Day
    Pathetic Priorities Day
    Pathetic Princess Day
    Perfectly Pompous Day

Oh I could go on...
  • I like Perfectly Pompous Day <3
  • I really don't understand why anyone even deals with the whole wedding planning thing anyway. If you get married to your best friend, believe me you just dodged a bullet there. You dodged MONTHS worth of other people peeing in your wedding plan cheerios. 

I would have just went to the JOP or, wore a princess dress and only invited the sane people I know of, sent out a mass text for all of them to be at this address for some food drinks and a good time. 
  • Lily9911 said:
    I really don't understand why anyone even deals with the whole wedding planning thing anyway. If you get married to your best friend, believe me you just dodged a bullet there. You dodged MONTHS worth of other people peeing in your wedding plan cheerios. 

I would have just went to the JOP or, wore a princess dress and only invited the sane people I know of, sent out a mass text for all of them to be at this address for some food drinks and a good time. 

No kidding.  I was dreading the wedding planning process.  I pushed the idea of JOP wedding, but FI wanted something a bit "more traditional".  So, we are doing a destination wedding (still in continental US), invited about 60 people but expect only about 30 will come. The wedding came as a package deal. They provide venue for ceremony & reception, officiate, DJ, flowers, cake, photographer, lunch, reception hors d'oeuvres, open bar, décor... everything.  We just need to get our clothes, apply for marriage license, and show up.  We are looking at a few things to personalize it a bit, but we really don't have to do anything, which I absolutely love.  I don't think I would WANT to go through all the PPD planning if I didn't have to.

• LDay2014 said:
    aefitz29 said:
    That...is so...ridiculous.

People Prefer Drama
    Please Pretend Day
    Personal Party Day

Pretend Party Day
    Princess Pampering Day
    Pathetic Priorities Day
    Pathetic Princess Day
    Perfectly Pompous Day

Oh I could go on...
    ooooh! I like Pathetic Princess Day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pretty Prince Day, because hes the one who wants a big family wedding
  • I'm confused- what constitutes a PPD day?
    A friend of mine (american) was living in Europe and needed a visa to stay with her bf or she would have been deported. They quickly eloped in Spain (with a strictly civil ceremony) and filed the paperwork. They then had a wedding with all their friends and family (along with a "real" religious ceremony). Does their wedding constitute a PPD or Fake wedding? The "real" wedding had nothing to do with a desire for a cheesy date but rather their desire for her not to be deported! 
  • I'm confused- what constitutes a PPD day?
    A friend of mine (american) was living in Europe and needed a visa to stay with her bf or she would have been deported. They quickly eloped in Spain (with a strictly civil ceremony) and filed the paperwork. They then had a wedding with all their friends and family (along with a "real" religious ceremony). Does their wedding constitute a PPD or Fake wedding? The "real" wedding had nothing to do with a desire for a cheesy date but rather their desire for her not to be deported! 
    First this is an old thread.  If you have a question then start a new discussion rather then dredge up a zombie thread.

Second, to me it constitutes a PPD.  They eloped because if they didn't then they would have been separated.  Basically, in my eyes, they abused the system to get what they wanted (her to stay with her BF).  A lot of couples are long distance and make it work.  Does it suck?  Sure.  But I think what they did was crap.  People need to learn to be grown ups and own their decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards