Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do we have to get a wedding gift if we were not invited?

My husband and I were married in September, and one of our guests declined but sent a check. This guest also recently got married but did not invite us to their wedding. So, do we have to get a wedding gift if we were not invited?

Thanks!

Re: Do we have to get a wedding gift if we were not invited?

• Only if you want to.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you want to, yes...but you were not invited to the wedding so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
  • You're never obligated to give a gift even when you are invited to an event. So if you weren't invited, then definitely don't feel like you need to give one.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • What do you think you should do?  What feels right?
  • I, personally, would feel really awkward/guilty receiving a wedding gift from someone I didn't bother to invite.
  • My husband and I were married in September, and one of our guests declined but sent a check. This guest also recently got married but did not invite us to their wedding. So, do we have to get a wedding gift if we were not invited?

Thanks!

Nope you don't need to at all. Only if you wanna be nice.... But really that would be very nice of you.

I've had plenty of people who were invited to my wedding, declined and didn't send a thing. Not that they had to but in that case it's good etiquette to send something (even if it's a thank you!)
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards