Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Pokey Sand burrs , tents & flooring !

My fiancé & I are planning to get married at a river lot in march . When I went out there I discovered that the ground is completely covered with pokey burrs ! Obviously a problem for everyone in sandles/heels & even more the bottom of my dress ! Anyone have any ideas of how to mass remove these?

Also we are looking into getting some flooring & a big tent (since it will be outside & in the evening ) . Everywhere has to give me a specific quote for this . . . Does anyone have an approximate price for me that they paid ? Thank you for your help !

Ps - this bride would appreciate if you keep opinions of me changing my venue or telling me to go to an inside venue to yourself :)

Re: Pokey Sand burrs , tents & flooring !

• Options

I hadn't considered telling you to change venues until you told me I couldn't mention it, and now it is all I can think about. So theres that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to consider a large aisle runner if you have a train on your dress that could potentially pick up any burrs. I don't have any recommendations on how to remove large quantities of them but if they are large, maybe you can delegate a family member to help out the morning of the wedding by clearing out as many as possible. Laying something down underneath the chairs may also be a good idea.

• Options
    I can't really think of any way to remove grass burrs without a) treating the area with some heavy-duty weed killer (which your venue probably wouldn't allow) or b) removing each plant by hand (which would be a pain in several ways).

I guess courtski's idea of a large runner is probably your best bet, although I think you and your guests are just going to have to deal with picking burrs out of your clothes and shoes.  So yeah, good luck with that.
    Anniversary

• Options
    This is most definitely going to be a P&R. 

If it's a venue (and not a piece of property that you own) I would bring that up to them and get them to fix the issue.

Also, I have grass burrs in my yard and those things are a PAIN to get rid of. Lots of Weed-be-gone (I don't think that's what it's really called..but H says it is.) and you have to actually pick up the dead ones to prevent them from spreading and you have to treat consistantly. We've had our house for two years and we're just now getting to a point where we can mostly not worry about getting stuck with one.

Good luck!
  • Options

Why was I thinking these burr things are the little brown balls that fall from trees? Did this issue exist when you booked the venue or is it a recent development? It sounds like an unfortunate issue, but is definitely one of the pitfalls of an outdoor venue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards