Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony Decorations

My fiance and I are getting married October 2014...yay 10 months away!!  We are TRYING very hard to keep to a budget, but the more we plan, the further that budget seems to slip away.

My question is, is it absolutely necessary to decorate the church for the ceremony?  If the answer is "OF COURSE", I would greatly appreciate some inexpensive/DIY ideas.

THANKS!

Re: Ceremony Decorations

• Nope, not necessary at all! 

But if you feel like you need something, ask the church if they have any decorations (or at least pew hooks) you could borrow. Anything made with tulle will also be pretty darn cheap.
  • Not at all. I despise tulle, but it definitely is a good, inexpensive option if you feel you need something, especially since churches can be strict on what they allow you to use. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Not necessary at all. We had no ceremony decoration, other than my bouquet, and I wasn't even going to do that. 
  • No, you don't have to do anything if you like the look of your church. I got married in an old church from the 1800's which stained glass windows and an amazing alter statue, the church didn't need any decorations, they would have gotten lost with the decor of the church.

If you feel that you need to add something to the church to add something you can always do alter flowers, or put a few pew bows on the first few pews, maybe even alternating the rows. Talk to your church, sometimes they have decorations available for use. They may be decorations they use for that time of the year or donations from past wedding that would work with your taste and colors. Never hurts to ask.

• You can do as much or as little (none) as your budget allows.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Thank you everyone for the responses.  I know feel better about our decision of minimal to no decorations!

I will definitely ask the church and see what they have to offer.  Thanks again!!
  • Nope. Decorating is completely up to you. 

If you do decide to decorate on a limited budget, I'd recommend candles and minimal flowers. Candles are super cheap and look beautiful!
  • We're going to do almost nothing to decorate the church.  It's a really old stone church with huge stained glass windows... 

I think that this area is a great place to cut costs that you'd rather spend elsewhere.  Unless someone does something really extravagant, I don't think any guests really remembers ceremony decorations.
  • Depends on you I guess.

This is our church: http://www.cathedralic.com/interiorphotos.htm

and we see no reason to decorate it since it's beautiful all on it's own. So no it's not necessary if you think so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope. Most churches have pew bows that they already use, I would talk to yours

• mimiphin said:
    Nope. Most churches have pew bows that they already use, I would talk to yours
    Or candles. Our church doesn't exactly have these but they have something similar that they use for mass and such to decorate the church. Inquire about options via the church?

http://www.immlutheran.org/images/church_life-milestones_weddings_Photos__chapel%20aisle%20decorated%20for%20wedding.jpg
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the PP's.  Most churches have inherent beauty to them.  The majority of your guests will be looking at the bride, groom, and bridal party.  When it comes to ceremony decor, I definitely think less is more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards