June 2014 Weddings
Options

Oh, How I've Grown To Hate Wedding Vendors...

muenginerdmuenginerd member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in June 2014 Weddings

FI and I went to a wedding show this weekend hoping to find a florist and a baker.  I was amazed at how so many vendors made the show about how good they are and didn't even listen to what we are looking for.

We didn't really have success with bakers.  I found a cake that we loved and I asked the baker if they could do wedding cupcakes for us.  He then began to give me a lecture that our wedding was a special event and people deserve cake at weddings, cupcakes are meant for childrens birthday parties and have no place in weddings.  After I picked my jaw off the floor, I politely explained that we have many relatives with glueten or lactose issues and I like that we can provide alternatives.  Also, I along with some other do not like cake and we like that we can bring cheesecake in along with cupcakes as an alternative.  I thanked him for his time and moved on...still can't believe the rudeness.  We found another top known bakery and their cheesecake is to die for.  We were talking with their rep as she passed me the price lists.  I did notice that their prices were $2.00 more per slice then what I walk into their bakery and buy off the shelf at.  We inquired about the difference and she told us weddings are special order prices and the charges are what they charge.  So out of principal we ruled them out.  We have leads on a little bakers friends have used in the past and will be checking up on them this month...

The florists drove me crazy for the most part.  We really want to use Hops as part of our flowers.  My frist question to every vendor is "have you worked with hops before?"  Almost all the vendors looked at me like I was crazy, some tried to talk me out of it, and one even told me I was going to make my wedding look trashy and we might as well put beer bottles on the table.  To which I told him we were, that's the table numbering scheme.  My FI is very big into the craft beer movement and we are using the craft beers special to us.  Now normally I would blow this off to an odd request, but we live in a major brewing city.  Everything around here is focused on brewing, and I know I've been to charity events and seen hops used.  I would expect local florist to atleast know what the plant is!... Thankfully, we did find two florists who are very familar with hops and loved my ideas.  So I am setting up meetings with both of them.

These were the pictures I was trying to show florist I wanted to do and most of them were completely lost!

Re: Oh, How I've Grown To Hate Wedding Vendors...

• Options
    I love the pictures with the hops, it's very unique and very elegant. I can't believe vendors would be so outright rude with someone about what they want for their wedding. Good for you for sticking to your guns. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow I can't believe how rude some of the vendors want, just because you want something different or something they consider non traditional doesn't mean they should be rude or talk you out of it.  I hope you find someone who does want you want.  I like the idea of hops in the centerpieces your ideas are really cute!

Anniversary

• Options
    Ugh! I hate rude venders. Luckily the people I'm dealing with for flowers and cake own their own business and know how to treat people.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We are going to use hops in our wedding too! My fiance loves to brew so we are making beer as our wedding favors for the 21+ and root beer for the under 21! We're also planning to use hops in the centerpieces as well :-)

I'm sorry that you had to deal with such rude vendors... they're the worst! I think it's awesome that you're so thoughtful and mindful of the dietary restrictions of your guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards