Michigan-Detroit

Wedding DJ? Is it necessary?

Hello,

My fiancee and I were thinking of skipping the DJ at our wedding and just making a pre-made playlist for all of the necessary music and having one of our family members or friends do the announcing/MC-ing throughout the night.  Our venue has a sound system, so that is taken care of.  Has anyone done this before?  How has it turned out?  Any tips?  Or does anyone know of a SUPER affordable DJ??  I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars for someone to play music for a few hours...

Re: Wedding DJ? Is it necessary?

• I hope you got my PM about my DJ. If you decide to do a playlist I would recommend paying a non guest to keep track of the playlist. A guest may get distracted or tipsy. Plus it is kind of a hassle for them to have to "work" during the wedding. You could probably go on Craigslist and pay someone a small fee to do that. Or if you use a day of coordinator that may be something they can do. My officiant stayed during most of the wedding and offered to help out after the ceremony so some officiants may also be willing to do that especially if your announcements will be earlier in the day and then the play list can go on auto pilot during the later part of the evening. 
  • I agree with PP - I wouldn't ask a family member or guest to do something like that. They want to be able to enjoy the day. I don't know what SUPER affordable is to you, but our DJ was only $700 for the night.
  • I debated on this for a long time until I remembered one of my good friends who got married just created a playlist on their ipod and like NO ONE danced. They just had a friend manage the ipod, but the timing was just all off and it just didnt work. i'm sure it could work out, but it seems super stressful to have to worry about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards