Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

475.00 for a chaplain?

I am getting married at my reception hall.  It is on a Sunday in the afternoon.  I called a chaplain that was reccommended to me by a friend.  He quoted me $475.00.  Is that a reasonable price?  I was surprised. 

Thanks!

Re: 475.00 for a chaplain?

• I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect for just the chaplain.

My church charges $500 for parishoners and $750 for non-parishoners to get married in the church and provide the priest (coordinator/musicans are extra)
  • Is your officiant helping you to creat your ceremony so that it's personal to you and your FI?  Is he meeting with you in advance of wedding day for any purpose?  Will he be at your rehearsal and run that?  And then there's your wedding day.

Your wedding isn't just the 15 minute ceremony.  If he's meeting with you ahead of time, there's the potential for a couple of hours of pre-wedding meeting, a couple of hours on rehearsal night.  Then he'll probably be at your ceremony an hour ahead of time.  So yes, there's time that he should be paid for that's outside of the ceremony proper.

And think of it this way as well.  I have a leaky pipe.  I call in a plumber and he fixes it in 15 minutes and charges me $300.  The least part of his bill is the 15 minutes that it took for fix it.  The greatest part of his bill is that he's licensed, and that he has the expertise to look at my leaky pipe, know how to do what he needs to do, has the experience to do it well, and does it.

In NJ,  $475 might be a little high but everything is more expensive here in NJ.  Someone from Topeka is probably going to tell you that her officiant is charging $80.  But I'll also bet that their pp cost for reception is a lot less, and her flowers are a lot less, and that her dj is a lot less.....you get the idea.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • My rabbi costs $850 and I was surprised about that.  Check your budget and if it doesn't work then try to find someone else.  I was not happy about spending nearly $1k on my officiate, but he's awesome, so I couldn't say no.

• um for just the officiant he quoted me $75.00.  He will be meeting with me and FI a few times before then.  I think that is steep for just the officiant.  Here our church for a wedding of a member is 500.00 thats for the curch the pastor the organist and the wedding coordinator
    wedding countdown
  • I was quoted $475 by one.  No pre-wedding meeting, no rehearsal, just show up and do the ceremony.  I have been quoted $200 for 1 pre-wedding, the rehearsal and the wedding, I was also quoted $50 for just the wedding.  I think you should look around and get more quotes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Is it a religious ceremony or a civil one?
    Mine is civil & we've decided to have a good friend get ordained & marry us (think Joey marrying Monica & Chandler on FRIENDS). Anyone can become ordained on www.universalministries.com, just make sure your state recognizes it (some don't).
  • Our pastor is doing it for FREE cuz he loves us...I have no idea. It sounds like a lot to me. :(
  • I think that is quite high, but depending on your area.  Our area is about $50.00 to 100.00 and the church is free if you attend there but most people give a donation to the church of the electric.  But I am getting married in Vegas and our officant is only $60.00 bucks so I would definitly look and ask for other quotes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards