Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Church Opinion

It is important for us to have a church wedding.  Many ceremonies on Saturday start at 2p.  I am concerned because our cocktail hour would not start till 5:30.  We would be out of the church by 3p and then our guest would have a 20 minute drive into Boston.  Have to park there cars.  Do you think this is just to early to start the ceremony? I have an alternative church in the city, but it is going to be more expensive.  

Thanks for your opinion.  

Re: Church Opinion

• Options
    You're looking at people showing up possibly by 3:30 which would mean a two hour gap between wedding and reception. You want to minimize the opportunity for a gap so I would say go with the more expensive church so that your guests don't have to figure out what to do for two hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I keep seeing a lot of posts around TK about this issue which confuses me because every Catholic mass wedding I've attended didn't start until at least 4:30. 
    With a 2pm ceremony having a gap really stinks in my opinion as a guest.

• Options
    I must have searched ten churches and they all start at 1:30-3 sometime.  I agree.  We found another city church, but we will just have to get transportation for guest to it.  We waited two hours during a cocktail hour before and I was bored to death.
  • Options
    It is important for us to have a church wedding.  Many ceremonies on Saturday start at 2p.  I am concerned because our cocktail hour would not start till 5:30.  We would be out of the church by 3p and then our guest would have a 20 minute drive into Boston.  Have to park there cars.  Do you think this is just to early to start the ceremony? I have an alternative church in the city, but it is going to be more expensive.  

Thanks for your opinion.  

You need to consider your guests' comfort. Either use the more expensive church or find a reception venue where you can start earlier. There should not be an unhosted gap at all. A cocktail hour is fine as long as it's hosted and really an hour or less. There's nothing worse than a long, unhosted gap.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Thanks! Yea we decided to do it at the city church that starts at 4p hopefully.   I was hearing from a lot of my older relatives that this was the normal "back in the day".  Their wedding was similar.  Times changed I figured.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards