Chit Chat
Options

NWR: I need some ideas

My FI's birthday is coming up in about 2 weeks, on the 24th.  I cannot think of ANYTHING to do. We are trying to save as much money as possible for the wedding so we have agreed that for all upcoming celebrations (birthdays, anniversary etc.) we won't be giving gifts. Rather we would spend the day together doing something fun.  For example: on my birthday we went on a dinner cruise, on our anniversary we went on a private sleigh ride. Both of those seem pricey but we found awesome deals and got them at about half price. I asked him what he would like to do and he suggested going to his favorite bar where they have $1 beers all day, everyday and then ending the night with Netflix.  While on any other night I would be totally down for this, since it is his birthday I would like to do something a little extra.  However, I am having such a hard time finding the awesome deals we found on the other things.  Any suggestions are much appreciated! 

Re: NWR: I need some ideas

• Options
    Can you do something wintery outside??  On one of our first dates, we did dinner and skating at a local pond.  I brought some hot chocolate in a thermos that we shared.  

What about festivals??  We've got a lot of ice carving winter stuff going on, but again, it depends on where you live.  Do you have local papers (usually free) that highlight things going on??  I'd check those too if you do.  Some of our best date nights have come from ideas or events we've read about in those papers

• Options
    mrsbananymrsbanany member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    @WinstonsGirl FI is the definition of uncoordinated. We went ice skating once and it was disastrous. He clung to the wall for dear life while 6 year olds were flying by before the date ended abruptly when he fell and sprained his wrist.  

There are a bunch of free things going on now but the only problem is that we have done pretty much all of them! 
  • Options
    Hmm.  Any special events??  Our movie theatres are re-showing popular movies voted on by the public for a cheaper price, and classic ones too.  I think at the moment for example, it's V for Vendetta and An Affair to Remember.  Maybe your local theatres are doing something similar??

I'd try Trip Advisor too.  Check out the local attractions for your city and perhaps there's something you've missed, or haven't done in a while.  It might give you some ideas.  

• Options
    What area do you live in?  My first stop would be Groupon or LivingSocial to find a nearby deal.

Ideas that come to mind that me/my Fi might like: a concert, local theater, cooking class, or an outdoor activity such as hiking/biking/boating/snowtubing/skiing/sledding depending on the climate where you live.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I live in Boston so it is pretty cold this time of year.  FI is a big outdoor person and I would love to go hiking or something but it might be too cold.  I have looked on living social and groupon and showed him some things but nothing seems to stand out to him. I think I might just have to buy something and make him go. 
  • Options
    I was also going to suggest checking out a groupon/livingsocial/travelzoo deal. A couple of years ago I got my FI a flight lesson on a small plane, and I got to come along also on the ride. He loved it, I hated it (but I am terrified of flying), so that might be an idea. I also got us a pizza making class with wine for an upcoming date night, I think that could be fun. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @hoppersgirl25 the Sam Adams brewery in Boston is free! Good call with that one. 
    I live in MA too and these are some of the things we like to do- 
    Worcester Sharks AHL hockey game- not exactly the Bruins but it's a fun night out for $20 per ticket.
    Dave & Busters- eat & play arcade games at Providence Mall. We also like to spend random romantic nights at the Omni Providence hotel which is attached to the P. Mall
    Plays at the Hanover Theater in Worcester are cheaper than the ones in Boston. 
    Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. 
    Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge- it's an old colonial village from like the 1600's with actual buildings from that time period and they all dress in the dress and show you how things were made back then such as blacksmith, pottery, butter churning. 
    Or just surprise him and pick up his favorite food and bring it home with dessert too. 

• Options
    Send him on a scavenger hunt.
  • Options
    What about something like a brewery tour?  Since he wants to drink beer all day anyway, you can go on a tour and they usually give you a tasting glass with so many samples you can get, and then you keep the glass.  FI and I have been to tons of wineries and breweries and I think it's his favorite kind of date.  And they're usually inexpensive, too.
    I was going to suggest this! It's the best! 
  • Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    I was also going to suggest checking out a groupon/livingsocial/travelzoo deal. A couple of years ago I got my FI a flight lesson on a small plane, and I got to come along also on the ride. He loved it, I hated it (but I am terrified of flying), so that might be an idea. I also got us a pizza making class with wine for an upcoming date night, I think that could be fun. 
    I like the pizza thing. That sounds fun. OP you could even just go get the fixings to make a pizza together at home. That might be fun and you will probably be hungry after a day of $1.00 beers. BTW that sounds like my kind of bar!
  • Options
    We have literally done everything that was suggested here! Well, except for Dave & Busters and the flight, FI is terrified of flying so that is probably not the best gift. We did the Sam Adams brewery tour in the fall and it was awesome, I didn't know this but they have a trolley that takes you to Doyle's after and you can get a free glass (actual glass, not the tasting one they give on the tour) with a beer.  He had such a good time on that one, maybe we could do Harpoon or one of the other breweries in the area, FI likes to think he is a beer expert.  

Thanks guys for the ideas, if we hadn't done them I would totally do them again.  I really want to do one of those paint bar things. You know where you go to a local bar and they have a painting class. It just might be a little too girly for him, I went to one before and there were 2 guys out of the 25 people there. 
  • Options
    oh I just remembered have you ever been to F1 in Braintree? It's go kart racing, it's a little pricey but super fun!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards