Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Budget Destination Wedding Photography

My fiance and I are doing a destination wedding to The Big Island this fall. We are already spending a lot on travel and accommodations we really want to keep everything minimal. Simple, elegant is my theme. If it's even a theme? We're doing the wedding at the hotel we'll be staying at. They have a wedding coordinator that's really helpful with the planning process so far. We did the most basic package but I am in the process of looking into a photographer. They have preferred photographers but their rates seem a little high. $650/hr. Or is this pretty standard? How long would you need them? I guess I'm looking for a way to save some money, but also not have to designate a guest to snap a few shots either.  I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Budget Destination Wedding Photography

• Options
    We are trying to plan a wedding for my sister (mine already happened and she's in the military and has way to much going on). We are torn between a destination wedding and a local wedding. We are leaning towards destination, but with the cost of photographers there, we've decided to bring our own from our wedding since the whole family loved her. A lot of photographers, like her, will shoot an 8 hour day for the cost of travel (we would be charged airfare and hotel only). That way we get a photographer for $2200 rather than $5700. We are going with Light Source Photography out of Wisconsin. However, we also looked into:
    Front Room Photography
    The McCartneys

It's a thought! I've read that you just absolutely have to make sure that they've traveled before for photography (knowledge of carryon limits etc). Hope this helps!

• Options
    We are getting married in Maui and are getting a photographer for $550 for 2 hrs. I had no idea if the was a reasonable price but after reading your comments I guess it is.
  • Options
    How much you pay for wedding photography really depends on how much you will value the service. The best way I can put it into perspective is people have no trouble spending $2,500.00 - $15,000.00 on a dress they will wear once and then pack up and never see again but complain about $500.00 for artwork that will hang on their walls and they will see everyday, and will evoke happy memories decades from their actual wedding date.

That being said, you can often find a photographer that has little to no experience to do the work for free in trade for them using your images in their portfolio. You can also pay $20,000.00+ for a high end wedding photographer. In photography, it has ALWAYS been my experience that you get what you pay for, and sometimes less.

This advice brought to you by a professional photographer. I specialize in Maternity and Newborns, so there's no conflict on the advice, but I am in the industry. Even on these boards people will post their photos raving about their photographer and I just shake my head and mutter, "no honey" to myself. They are happy clients of a bad or mediocre photographer, and I will not stand in the way of their happiness. So it's up to you, and really overall, what you'd be happy with. If you're planning on paying $500 for your wedding photos please head over to Craigslist and see what $500 wedding photography looks like - then decide if you'll be happy with that.

My biased two cents: you are going to be in a beautiful location. It is going to be stunning! You are (hopefully) going to feel and look the prettiest you've ever felt. Hire someone who is an EXPERT in composure, in lighting, in the settings of their equipment, in the artistic ability for capturing the best moments, as you will relive those feelings over and over again through these photos. Skimp on the cake, or the food, or any other item that only lasts that singular day. Your photographs will last a lifetime.
  • Options

I agree with the above, you get what you pay for. I'm also a professional photographer.

You need to look at the photographers work and make sure if something you like. take your time and shop around. But if the prices seem too good to be true, it probably is. Your wedding photos are for life, you do want to make sure you have something you are proud of.

best of luck with your search. If you have any photography related questions feel free to ask me and I will do my best to answer :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards