Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Light In the Box dresses?

So my MIL and a few other people have mentioned something about a site called Lightinthebox.com and they have wedding dresses for a very.. very.. VERY good deal. They've got the kind dresses that you pin about. However, I have this feeling that the site is too good to be true and I figured someone on The Knot has had some kind of experience with them. So is it too good to be true or is it worth working with?

Just can't wait til July 11th, 2015!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Light In the Box dresses?

• A quick google adventure revealed this gem:

http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/newsreviewsinterviews/fr/Review-Of-Light-In-The-Box-Online-Store.htm

Take a look, see what you think. It's ultimately up to you, but if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. The reviewer said the sewing was good, but the fabric sub-par and the wrong size. So I would say go to a charity wedding dress show/shop or something like that if you're worried about cost, because to me it just isn't worth the stress and risk.
  • I bought a dress from them a few years ago (not a wedding dress; wore it as a guest to a wedding and to my FI's holiday party) and LOVED IT. The measurement was spot on, fabric quality and construction were both great, it arrived exactly when promised, the beading was beautiful and colors were exactly what I expected. Whenever I buy anything like that though I ask myself "is this a good enough deal to totally write off if it's a bust?" Would you be comfortable wasting that much money if it's not what you expected? If it's not, don't take the risk. I would also have your measurements taken by a professional seamstress, because I feel that oftentimes the problems a lot of people have can be attributed to taking your own measurements improperly. It can make a big difference! Good luck!

• rose0068 said:
    So my MIL and a few other people have mentioned something about a site called Lightinthebox.com and they have wedding dresses for a very.. very.. VERY good deal. They've got the kind dresses that you pin about. However, I have this feeling that the site is too good to be true and I figured someone on The Knot has had some kind of experience with them. So is it too good to be true or is it worth working with?
    They are very good deals because they are Chinese knockoffs.  I would never waste my money on this crap.  The odds are against you.  Come over to the Attire & Accessories board and do a search and you'll see heartbroken ladies who have horror stories.  

There was just recently a girl who posted an unboxing from this company.  She seemed happy with what she received, however the measurements were really off on the bust and many people think she will need to get the entire dress recut.  That's not cheap!
  • JoanE2012 said:
    rose0068 said:
    They are very good deals because they are Chinese knockoffs.  I would never waste my money on this crap.  The odds are against you.  Come over to the Attire & Accessories board and do a search and you'll see heartbroken ladies who have horror stories.  

There was just recently a girl who posted an unboxing from this company.  She seemed happy with what she received, however the measurements were really off on the bust and many people think she will need to get the entire dress recut.  That's not cheap!
    She seemed so happy I didn't really have the heart to comment, but from what I could see it looked like the gathering on the skirt was weird and some seams were a bit bunchy- Maybe I just noticed because I've made gowns before and am even making my own gown, so I have kind of an eagle-eye for sewing uh-ohs.  It wasn't super bad, but I definitely could tell that it wasn't the same quality you'd get from the actual designer of the dress.  I think she lucked out a bit because she chose a simple design that was easy to make, but I imagine if someone were to order a more elaborate gown, the sewing errors and sub-par material would be a lot more obvious.  

Also I've noted a lot of these sites claim the dresses are handmade to your custom measurements…  And they ship from China…  And they're super cheap…  I can't help but think the range of good and bad reviews depends completely on which disgustingly underpaid worker in a sweatshop made the dress, I guess some are better at sewing than others.  

OP, I wouldn't recommend buying any dress from sites like this.  Find the original dress, look at the designer's official site, and see their list of authorized retailers.  Don't buy from any site not listed there.
  • I ordered my flowergirl dress on there and my veils and they were perfect
  • I've used them for wedding decor a.k.a. stuff that I don't want to pay a lot of money for because it's hard to reuse. I've been pretty happy with them, but I was skeptical at first as well. I usually steer clear of buying garments from Chinese companies just because you never really know what you're getting. However, I know a bride who bought her dress from here, and she is very pleased with it. Ultimately, I think it's all about you and how comfortable you feel with it.
  • edited January 2014
    If you want authentic dresses marked down, checkout mydreamdress.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards