Honeymoon Discussions
Options

3 Mexican honeymoon options

My future in laws are letting us use their timeshare for our honeymoon in August. The three options we are interested in are:

Cabo
Cozumel
Puerto Vallarta

Has anybody been to any of these three places? Do you have any information / opinions / experiences that would help us choose?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 3 Mexican honeymoon options

• Options
    What are you interested in? Beaches? Snorkeling? Great food? Nightlife?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gizmo813Gizmo813 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    tcnoble said:
    What are you interested in? Beaches? Snorkeling? Great food? Nightlife?
    Of those four, in this order.

Beaches
    Snorkeling (or other fun excursions)
    Great food (I'm a bit of a foodie)
    Nightlife - probably won't be taken advantage of a ton, as we're not really partiers. 

Basically, we want to relax on the beach, swim, drink, eat and experience different things. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We went to Cabo this summer. Based on other locations we have been, I wasn't impressed with the beaches. Sand is rougher and ocean is generally unswimmable. I don't know much about Peurto Vallarta but have heard Cozumel has beautiful beaches and lots of snorkeling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is there a time share option in Playa del Carmen? The beaches are beautiful there and there is good snorkeling. You can also take a day trip to Cozumel on the ferry. The nightlife is awesome and the town is really cute with a lot of restaurants.

If not: I have been to Cozumel only on cruises (so a day at a time). It is pretty but I am not sure if there is a ton to do to take up a whole week.

FI's dad lives in Cabo and I think it's stunning although the beaches are not as pretty as some other places. Cabo is the priciest place in Mexico if that matters to you. But there are lots of good restaurants.
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    We went to Cabo this summer. Based on other locations we have been, I wasn't impressed with the beaches. Sand is rougher and ocean is generally unswimmable. I don't know much about Peurto Vallarta but have heard Cozumel has beautiful beaches and lots of snorkeling.
    I agree about Cabo.  Had a great time because the resort we stayed at had 4 awesome pools so we mostly just rotated through the different pools each day.  Not all the beaches in Cabo are swimmable so you may not even be able to go in the water where you are staying.  The beach itself just wasn't the same as some other places I've been.  I thought the view was as pretty as other places but the beach wasn't huge and the sand was kind of gritty (this seems silly to mention but since beaches is your number 1 priority I figured I would mention it) and we couldn't swim.  We stayed at the RIU Santa Fe which was a really great resort but again not my favorite of all the all-inclusives I've been to.

I've only been to Cancun otherwise in Mexico, so I can't help you there.
  • Options
    I loved Cabo, and really didn't care for Puerto Vallarta. Cancun was beautiful but really boring, Americanized and touristy. Haven't been to cozumel so can't comment on that.
  • Options
    I went to Puetro Vallarta and loved it but me and my husband are not beach people. I don't swim and just lounged around on the beach. We loved the resort (Dreams Nuevo Vallarta) and hanging out on the Malecon (boardwalk). From the research I did online most people love the beaches and water in the Riviera Maya. I've heard that the waters are great for diving and snorkeling in Cozumel which is an island off of  the Riviera Maya. If you get bored in Cozumel I heard that the ferry ride to Playa del Carmen is fairly cheap and only takes about 30 min.  There is a lot of nightlife and restaurants in that Playa del Carmen.   
  • Options
    Cozumel has pretty great snorkeling, although I have only been on a day excursion. I went to the Riu Palace in Cabo last summer and it was great! The beach does have very hot sand that is a bit rough, so we didn't spend much time there, but excursions are fairly inexpensive. We went on one that took us snorkeling and included a boat tour. It was amazing. With that said, I would pick Cozumel if I were you. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I have been to Puerto Vallarta and it just was not as nice as the Cozumel area. 

Happy Honeymoon!
  • Options
    Thanks for your input everybody! 

We decided on Cozumel. So excited!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How fun! My ex stayed in Cozumel for a week for a SCUBA trip and he LOVED it. The travel was a bit pricey though (as it's kind of inconvenient to get to the area).
  • Options
    I think you have win win there.  Fun!  Great in-laws.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards