Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

When should I book hair/make-up and trials?

My wedding is in mid-November. I will have my usual stylist do my hair, although I'm still looking for a make-up artist. Although I've had my hair done for events in the past, I've never booked a trial before, and I also can't remember how far in advance I booked appointments to have my hair done for stuff like prom.

When should I book my hair trial and wedding day hair (as in, when should I call up the salon and say, "I'd like to make an appointment")? And when should I book my hair trial for (as in, "I'd like to do my trial on X date")?

As for make-up, same questions. Thanks!
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: When should I book hair/make-up and trials?

• You can call them now but make the appointment for about 1 month before your wedding. We're getting married July 26 and my trial is June 28
  • You want to make your trial about 4-6 weeks out from your wedding just in case you decide you want to make any changes.
  • I did my trials early.  By me, good makeup artists book up early.   And if you want to book them, you often need to leave a deposit.  I wasn't going to leave a deposit unless I knew for sure I wanted them.  So I did my trial early.  Good thing, because I hated my first trial and actually went out and found someone new.  I would've been upset and stressed if I only had a month or two before the wedding to find someone new.  Many people were already booked and I was calling 8 months before the wedding.
  • I knew what salon I want to use so I actually called them the other day an asked just this. I said my wedding is in Sept, when do people typically make appointments/ reservations and when do they get a trial? She reserved my wedding day immediately but told me that I shouldn't do a trial until 2 weeks before because if I do it too soon I might see a style online that I like better between now and then. Eh, I don't really buy that, I know how I want it for sure so I'm going to do the trial probably a good 3 months out just to make sure I have time to find another if need be.

• I was told that good stylists can book up early.  So, if you know who you want, start early.  I booked my hair/makeup stylist about 8 months before my wedding.  I had heard such good things about them and didn't want to risk them being booked up.  Unfortunately, I'm doing DW so I can't do a trial until week of my wedding.  But, they've sent photos of their work and based on recommendations I've received, I'm confident that it will be okay.  But, when to do trial really depends on your situation. If there is someone you really want and think it will work out, you could do trial closer to wedding.  If you are still shopping around and not sure who you want, do trials early so you have time to try and book other stylists.

• My wedding is in September, but I'm doing my consult next week to be sure I want to use her. I want to have time to find someone else if it doesn't seem like a good fit. IMO, even if you change your mind on the exact style, if you've chosen someone who "fits" your style/vision and is talented, they can roll with the punches and come up with something you'll love even if it's different from your trial run. Once I know I want to use her, I'll book her ASAP so it's one less thing to worry about later!

• I don't really understand the point in a trial. Unless I'm doing something elaborate (I'm not) I guess I just don't see the benefit in it. Can anyone explain the perk?

When I got my make up done for prom I just made a regular hair appointment and got my hair done then. Presto. No trial or anything.

*shrugs*
  • @Jennycolada Two major reasons, I've been told, to get a trial:

1) To make sure that the stylist knows the way you like your make-up done. My future sister-in-law didn't do a trial, and she was not happy with how heavily the make-up artist did her eyeliner (she normally doesn't wear any, and certainly not any on her lower lid). When I asked her about it, she told me that if she could do it again, she'd have done a trial (either to work with the stylist to make sure the make-up was done the way she--the bride--wanted it, or to say, "No thanks" and find another make-up artist).

2) To reduce the amount of time make-up takes on your wedding day. The trial gives you and the make-up artist a chance to work out the details of your make-up, which is a lot more trial-and-error than it would be on your wedding day. From what I've heard, good make-up artists will take notes about the products they used for your trial, and the way they did your make-up. I'm planning on having photos taken after my trial so that I can show them to the stylist as a reminder.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • My wedding is in September and I am doing my trials this Saturday, March 8th. I've arranged both trials for the same day so I can get an idea of the overall look. 

I'm using my trial to see if I indeed want to book that particular person. If I am happy with my look or want small changes I probably won't do another trial. If there are big changes I'll book another trial close to the wedding, and if I don't like that particular stylist I'll have plenty of time to find someone else.

Trying to cover all the bases!
  • I did mine about 1-2 months out. I had a night out that I knew was coming up & scheduled to do trial in the morning so I would be all done up for going out.
  • September.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards