Illinois-Chicago

Need a DJ - specific requirements

We need a DJ in the Chicago area that has music that will appeal to both families. My side is Jewish but not religious, a bit proper, and has people ranging in age from toddlers to mid-90s. His side is Mexican Catholic, a little more religious very informal, and much younger- the oldest person being mid-50's.

Everyone is tolerant/open-minded, etc. but we want music that will get everyone on the dance floor and show respect for differing cultures. A little bit of classic, danceable rock for my parents and people of that generation, a little bit of 90's pop for our group of friends, Spanish-language pop for his family, and maybe a few old Mexican ballads for slow-dancing.

We're just starting to look at DJs but I'm not finding anyone who seems to be comfortable moving between genres. Somehow, no one seems to advertise music collections ranging from Van Morrison and Earth, Wind, and Fire to Juanes and Ace of Base (his request!). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Need a DJ - specific requirements

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Have you talked to Toast and Jam? I have been to several weddings that they played at, and had a wide range of music. Honestly I would think any DJ would be able to do this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You seem to know what you want played - make a playlist and have the DJ go off that specifically. We made our own playlist and just did an iPod and speaker system, but I understand people like having a DJ to make sure it goes okay and to announce cake cutting, dances, etc.
  • I'll check out Toast & Jam.

We want to go beyond just the mainstream Mexican music and it seems like when we talk to DJs, we just hear a lot about Shakira. I love her- don't get me wrong- but we don't want to stop there.

As for DIY, that was our original plan. I like the idea of having someone who can read the crowd, make announcements, etc but we were afraid we wanted something too specific. Sadly, our venue needs us to bring the equipment and we don't have any. We also don't own much music ourselves- and I stink at remembering song titles and artists!
  • The internet is an amazing place for music! ;)

It sounds like the Mexican music is the harder part to fit and not mainstream American, perhaps find a younger DJ that caters to the Mexican style. I just feel if the DJ is younger, he/she will have a better chance of having a hand in all kinds of music and can mix it up better.

I'd play Ace of Base.  Hell yeah, bad 90s music.
  • @hollycs- you're probably right. Really, I just want a DJ who knows how to read a crowd and play what gets people dancing. I want it to be a great party and make everyone feel loved!

We've already agreed to Ace of Base, Madonna, and, sadly, Kriss Kross!
  • Check with Jimmy at DJUJ. I'm not sure about the Mexican ballads, but he was great with mixing up our music for all ages.
  • I used Music By Design and they guarantee the songs. If they don't own it, they will buy it
  • I'll check them all. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards