Flowers

Money saving tips on flowers

These served as a nice guideline for me so I thought I would share.

1. Select flowers that are in season and grown locally. They are much cheaper than those that are imported or hot house grown.

2. Don't use a florist who charges a consultation fee. Most are free.

3. Use a mix of silk and fresh flowers or all silk

Re: Money saving tips on flowers

• hlvonb said:

These served as a nice guideline for me so I thought I would share.

1. Select flowers that are in season and grown locally. They are much cheaper than those that are imported or hot house grown.

2. Don't use a florist who charges a consultation fee. Most are free.

3. Use a mix of silk and fresh flowers or all silk

I do not agree with the third statement at all.  Many times silks (if you want nice silks and not cheap looking ones) are just as much if not more then real flowers.

And IMO mixing silk and real flowers is just so very wrong.

• @Maggie0829

I didn't say I agreed with them all. Lol. They just served as a nice guideline for me and also got some of my creativity flowing

• Don't necessarily agree with #3 either. But we are using a mix (not my decision), because my mom wants to do my bouquets (*rolling eyes*), and she's doing them silk, and so I can keep mine I guess. Even though I'd rather them be real because I think real looks so much prettier, and my centerpieces will be real for sure. Plus I don't want to have extra stuff to shove in my already packed closet in my already small apartment...
  • for the #3 option, I could see using perhaps silk flowers to make the boutinerres for the guys and real flowers for centerpieces or the bride & BM. I think that may be a way to mix silk & real flowers.

• @hlvonb - well when you make a list of money saving tips and say that they were great guidelines for you then one is led to assume that you believe all of them is true.  If you don't believe that one of them is true then why even list it as a money saving tip?

• @hlvonb - well when you make a list of money saving tips and say that they were great guidelines for you then one is led to assume that you believe all of them is true.  If you don't believe that one of them is true then why even list it as a money saving tip?

@Maggie0829

Because it's a matter of opinion. I personally don't agree with it but someone else might like that idea / the way it looks.

• I would go with the third option that would be great you know at least you would have both covered up.
  • Choosing big flowers helps get the most impact for less money. When I was considering real flowers, I was looking at sunflowers. They're big, so you don't need as many of them to have a big bouquet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards