Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photography HELP!!

Is anybody else completely shocked at the price of photographers. I can't believe how expensive they are! It seems most charge at least $2,500!!! We found a wonderful photographer. He specializes in outdoor weddings and his packages with amazing in price. After a e-mail, a voicemail, and a promise to call me a week ago we decided to change! I just can see paying something that much money to take pictures! Does anybody know of a cheaper one? Our location is Rockmart, Ga. 

Re: Photography HELP!!

• Options
    I wasn't shocked because I frequently work with photographers and I know how much they put into their work. Here's a good explanation of why it's so expensive (LINK). If you want advice on inexpensive photographers in your area, you might want to check your local board.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Check your local board. But realize you get what you pay for…which if you only need s couple of good shots you will probably be very happy with saving money and cheaper option. 

I am a photographer (not weddings) and I wasn't willing to pay over $2,500 even though the ones I wanted, bc they were the best, started at $3,500. I didn't want to pay $2,500 - who does??? But I knew that I needed to spend money to get the images i wanted. You can't redo them. So think it over carefully - if you love this guy's work, it might be worth the splurge. Especially since you said he had amazing prices for his packages.

It's very hard to get someone with any experience for less than $1,000. So you're still gonna shell out a chunk of change either way. You just have to decide if you will regret not spending the extra.

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Is anybody else completely shocked at the price of photographers. I can't believe how expensive they are! It seems most charge at least $2,500!!! We found a wonderful photographer. He specializes in outdoor weddings and his packages with amazing in price. After a e-mail, a voicemail, and a promise to call me a week ago we decided to change! I just can see paying something that much money to take pictures! Does anybody know of a cheaper one? Our location is Rockmart, Ga. 
    I was shocked.  I wasn't familiar with photographers or their prices before our wedding, so when I first heard a photographer say his packages start at 4k I nearly fell over.  Fortunately, that was the only price shock I had. 

I agree with others though, you get what you pay for.  A friend of mine went with a chain and paid much less than I did, but she was very upset with the quality of photos she received.  
  • Options
    Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Check your local board. But realize you get what you pay for…which if you only need s couple of good shots you will probably be very happy with saving money and cheaper option. 

I am a photographer (not weddings) and I wasn't willing to pay over $2,500 even though the ones I wanted, bc they were the best, started at $3,500. I didn't want to pay $2,500 - who does??? But I knew that I needed to spend money to get the images i wanted. You can't redo them. So think it over carefully - if you love this guy's work, it might be worth the splurge. Especially since you said he had amazing prices for his packages.

It's very hard to get someone with any experience for less than $1,000. So you're still gonna shell out a chunk of change either way. You just have to decide if you will regret not spending the extra.

GL! :)
    I agree. When we looked for photographers, we did end up paying Over $1,000 for our photographer. You just have to think, you do get what you pay for. Our company is a larger one, and I am hoping that I DO get what I paid for as that is still a lot of money. If not, though, that would be my fault because I skimped a bit and decided to go with them instead of a more expensive (but probably better quality) company. Good luck OP and hope you find a good deal!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I definitely think their prices are outrageous. Pictures are really important to me (just like most people) and I wanted to make sure I got someone with the style I like. I go some cheap quotes from photographers and their pictures looked horrible- literally prom type poses, no lighting effects, no creativity, nothing special. 
    I'm a tight budget (8,000) so I literally could not spend 2k on photos, it would just be way too much of the budget. So luckily I have a really close friend who does wedding photography. She lives 2,000 miles away so we cut a deal where I bought her flight, accommodations, and will give her some cash which comes to a total of about $800. I am very happy with my decision because I know how good she does. 
    And she's including an album and everything...I seriously can't believe they charge 2,500 and that doesn't even include albums! I mean I realize you're talented but $400 an hour talented?? Come on. 

• Options
    I agree the prices are high...but it's not really $400 an hour. You need to factor in the time spent editing, not to mention equipment cost and taxes.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    It didn't hit my brain that these pictures are really important. I don't want cheap pictures. I found a wonderful girl who is charging me 1500 for unlimited time, a second photographer, an engagement session, and rehearsal dinner, 1 year of photo images online, and $25 print credit. Her prices are super cheap on prints! Thanks for all the feed back!!!!
  • Options
    The good news is that there are wedding photographers of all different price points - all the way from free (really) up to $10k.  There are many caveats involved though, and you'll almost always need to spend at least $2000 to get someone decent.  The rest is up to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards