Honeymoon Discussions

Boston/Maine/New Brunswick/PEI

amakayebamakayeb member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
We have begun our honeymoon planning, and have decided to fly into Boston, rent a car, and then road trip up to Prince Edward Island. We have our hotels booked for the Maine half of the trip, but we still need to do the Canada ones. Also, any suggestions for things not to miss in that area? We've got the basics (Acadia National Park, Portland Head Lighthouse, etc.) covered with a couple good travel books, but any experienced insights are more than welcome! Thanks!

ETA: We will be there the beginning of July. :)

Re: Boston/Maine/New Brunswick/PEI

• I'm from MA- you should catch a Red Sox game :) 
    Check out Devereaux Beach in Marblehead it's about 15 min north of Boston. 

• PEI has a driving loop tour with "landmarks/points of interest." It took forever and really had nothing of substance. Definitely better ways to spend your time than with that driving loop. Can't remember where we went on a whale watching tour (I was a kid when we went) but that was definitely super cool! I'm sure the travel books will have good recommendations. As for food...stop at the little shack type places along the coast as you drive up...they usually have the best seafood!
    Vacation
  • It really wasn't that hot for us. We stayed in Portland for a few says - we loved Even Tide, it's a oyster bar. I didn't like oysters prior to it, so good. Also loves Saltwater Grille in South Portland - great view to look across the water at ships. They went down to the water and pulled my lobster out of the trap when I ordered. Didn't like Jay's, a local dive institution but no local food. Went to Portland Head lighthouse. Bought a cute print from a local artist who personalized it with our initials and wedding date.
    Had a lobster roll at Red's - we didn't think it was worth waiting an hour, but then we prefer our lobster hot and covered in butter. Cold with Mayo wasn't our thing.
    Stopped at Cold River Vodka for a tasting and tour - amazing blueberry vodka!
    Stayed in Camden at the Camden Inn. Went on the sunset cruise on a schooner - probably the highlight of the trip.
    I had the most amazing lobster Benedict at this adorable inn near a beach, but I can't think of the name right now.
    We went tot he Farnsworth Museum, but we like art - it wasn't the greatest, so I wouldn't recommend it on a quick visit. 
    We ended up buying Cuddledown pillows as a result of the trip - best pillows ever and made in Maine.
    I can't wait until we can go back :)
    Have fun!! GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We did a week on PEI a couple years ago and it was kind of disappointing. We had a nice day of sea-kayaking but for the most part we found there wasn't that much to do. We had planned on a lot of biking, but the "rails-to-trails" path was just a view of potato fields. The beach was nice but even in August it was too cold do do much swimming (and I'm used to the great lakes). We were camping in the northwest part of the Island, so you might find more to do in town, but we ended up leaving a day early. Might I suggest Nova Scotia instead? I hear amazing things about cape Breton. We really liked Halifax (lots of music and good food) and also really liked heading down to the bay of fundy. We did some awesome whalewatching there and the landscape was just a lot more interesting than PEI, which was pretty flat. Of course, the seafood was amazing everywhere.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We did this trip when I was a kid, driving from Connecticut, up the coast of Maine, all the way to PEI and back. I was 12, so I don't have many specific recommendations. But it is true that PEI isn't really a hoppin' spot. The beaches are really pretty, and we went to Green Gables (see: age 12), but it was the least fun part of the trip. 
  • Yeah, we thought it would be cute, quaint and quiet. We were right about the quiet part. I think our main disappointment was that we expected to do a lot of hiking and biking, but it was flat potato fields as far as the eye could see. Just not very stimulating, you know? Where we were in NS was also very quiet but it was so pleasant just being there that we had a blast.
  • We thought about Nova Scotia, but the ferry that runs from their to Portland would be REALLY expensive, and we weren't sure we wanted to add that much driving time. We're only spending a couple of days in each region/city. I'm a huge bookworm, so seeing Green Gables is a pretty exciting thing for me. I'll re-look at our plans, though. Thanks!
  • Portlander here-When are you planning to take your trip?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards