Snarky Brides

S/O: What is the rudest comment someone has made about your wedding?

Re: S/O: What is the rudest comment someone has made about your wedding?

• APDSS22

I never wear heels ever! The couple times that I've worn them too an event, as soon as humanly possible I've kicked them off and put on the flats I've stowed in my purse. I'm also clumsy as all heck so it just seems very risky to me to wear heels on an important day. I'm all about comfort! I am also really short (5 feet) so I think some people would assume that I have some complex about it and want to look taller for my wedding. But I love my height. I love the height discrepancy between my FI and I (he's 6 foot 1). And i'm totally planning on bringing a stool or something to step up on for pics.

I definitely learned my lesson about telling MIL about 'non-traditional' elements we want to incorporate. She's a lovely woman but she definitely has a picture in her mind about what a wedding 'should' look like. I will not be mentioning the Doctor Who cake topper. Or the Lego Candy favours....
    If we hadn't had custom made penguin cake toppers we probably would have found Dr. Who cake toppers.  :)
  • I haven't had any super awful rude things, just some that ticked me off, like:

One of my bridesmaids, who I only asked because I needed an extra person: "You better not pick an ugly or real expensive dress for me to wear!!"

Uh, no one is twisting your arm making you do this.

And, 

Lots of my FI friends: "Why are you gonna spend all that money when you can spend $35 and get married at the courthouse?"

Because fuck you, that's why. 
    Anniversary

• lynze425 said:
    I haven't had any super awful rude things, just some that ticked me off, like:

One of my bridesmaids, who I only asked because I needed an extra person: "You better not pick an ugly or real expensive dress for me to wear!!"

And, 

Lots of my FI friends: "Why are you gonna spend all that money when you can spend $35 and get married at the courthouse?"

You asked someone to be your BM because you needed an extra person?
    I did. I like this woman, but I only have a few close friends, and my FI has lots (8, to be exact) close friends and I liked her enough to ask rather than have uneven sides. And I still like her, that comment just got under my skin. 
    Anniversary

• lynze425 said:
    lynze425 said:

And, 

I did. I like this woman, but I only have a few close friends, and my FI has lots (8, to be exact) close friends and I liked her enough to ask rather than have uneven sides. And I still like her, that comment just got under my skin. 
    Oh honey noooo. No no no. Uneven sides is not a big deal.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    lynze425 said:
    lynze425 said:

And, 

Oh I know. Lord, how I know. Unfortunately I didn't think this through before asking people, so now I have a huge wedding party. And even my FI says he wishes he hadn't asked so many people. But there's nothing we can do now, I'm not going to take people out of the wedding party because that's the most rude thing I've ever heard of and I'd rather suck it up and deal with it than be rude :(
    Anniversary

• lynze425 said:
    beethery said:
    lynze425 said:
    lynze425 said:

And, 

Oh I know. Lord, how I know. Unfortunately I didn't think this through before asking people, so now I have a huge wedding party. And even my FI says he wishes he hadn't asked so many people. But there's nothing we can do now, I'm not going to take people out of the wedding party because that's the most rude thing I've ever heard of and I'd rather suck it up and deal with it than be rude :(
    alright PHEW good, we are on the same page. Best of luck boo :)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Lowell14Lowell14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014
    I've not had rude comments (none come to mind atm) BUT, FIs former MIL makes terrible comments to my lovely FMIL when then run into each other at the store. FMIL tries to avoid her or says nothing to her provocations.

Things ex MIL says -
    * it's it so sad about Peter and Naomi? I wish he'd reconsider (its been 5 years and she hated FI when he and his ex were married...)
    * when is she due? Um...what?
    * when is Peter marrying his whore? (his ex also loves that pet name for me...)
    * Sophie will always be his favourite child. (um...what about FIs son...you know, your grandson?!)

Of course, after her own granddaughter was born, FI former MIL said 'look at her leg! I think the Dr will have to amputate it.' it was a rash...stupid woman...

On a lighter note, MIL won't let FI wear his converse...ill sneak them in for the reception :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    When my FI and I announced our engagement to his family at the dinner table, people started applauding and my FFIL started crying out of happiness saying, "Ay mija, welcome to the family!  I love you so much.  I couldn't be happier."  My FMIL five seconds later started crying saying, "Why are you doing this to me?  How did I deserve this? You're not right with Christ (as in, I'm not a fundamental Baptist and gasp! my I'm related to Catholics) and my grandchildren will burn in hell.  How could you make my babies burn in hell?  Don't you have any feelings at all?"

Yeah...so that put a bit of a damper on things.  She went on for about five minutes until she realized that every single person was staring open-mouthed at her because she was going off the deep end.  Then she just got up and went to her room, adding on: "My son isn't ready for marriage.  He doesn't understand what it means to get married.  He's not mature enough yet.  Don't blame me when everything falls apart."

FFS...the man is 36.
  • We currently have company for the weekend whose wedding we attended about 6 weeks ago. We're in the planning process for next year. She asked where we're going for our honeymoon. I told her we hadn't figured that out yet, and that it may need to be the following year as an anniversary trip or we may just skip it.
    Her: Oh you have to have a honeymoon! It's the best part about getting married!
    Me: I thought being married is the best part of getting married.
    Her: (laughs) oh honey, that's because you're 25. When you get to be my age, you'll learn.

Excuuuuuuuse me??? I played nice and kept my mouth shut. 
    Also, I'm still waiting for my thank-you card for the cash gift we gave for their non-registered, Sunday afternoon OOT cash bar wedding. 

She also told me my wedding dress is "age appropriate" WTH does that mean? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was trying on my dress recently and my mother saw that I had on a pretty aggressive bustier and commented, "Oh, good! I was going to say you should get some Spanx."

I've had more than one person imply that I'm only working out to get in shape for the wedding. I guess the three half marathons and the marathon before getting engaged were just for shits and grins.

We got engaged on New Years, are marrying in October. When we set the date, my MIL commented that it was a long engagement, and why is that?? Um, not really, and because weddings cost MONEY.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenbaer16 said:
    We currently have company for the weekend whose wedding we attended about 6 weeks ago. We're in the planning process for next year. She asked where we're going for our honeymoon. I told her we hadn't figured that out yet, and that it may need to be the following year as an anniversary trip or we may just skip it.
    Her: (laughs) oh honey, that's because you're 25. When you get to be my age, you'll learn.

Also, I'm still waiting for my thank-you card for the cash gift we gave for their non-registered, Sunday afternoon OOT cash bar wedding. 

It means she's got an age complex and is jealous that you're younger and apparently happier than her.
  • APDSS22 said:

jenbaer16 said:

We currently have company for the weekend whose wedding we attended about 6 weeks ago. We're in the planning process for next year. She asked where we're going for our honeymoon. I told her we hadn't figured that out yet, and that it may need to be the following year as an anniversary trip or we may just skip it.

It means she's got an age complex and is jealous that you're younger and apparently happier than her.

I started to get that sense after the 6th age related comment in one evening. It's not cute, it's condescending.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live two provinces over from my family, and we're getting married where we're living now.  I mentioned this to one of my family members (even before we were engaged and just talking about it), and she got all worried "what are you going to do if the weather is bad?  Will you have a reception here at home for the people who can't make it?"

First of all - you don't know WHEN the wedding is, so planning a snow date is a little much.
    Second of all - this is Manitoba.  It can snow in June.
    Third of all - I only have money and energy for ONE kick ass party this year.  Wait and see if it actually storms, and then plan accordingly.

@SoontobeMrsKlein - J's cufflinks say 'Bowties are cool'.  My garter has a TARDIS charm.  We're walking out to the theme song.  Whovians FTW!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • People are very upset that we have chosen to have a Friday wedding. I know that it may be difficult to get off work for some people; and I'm sympathetic to those who are traveling, but this is the date that my fiance and I wanted. I plan on sending out the save the dates well enough in advance so that people can make arrangements. And realistically, the people who have to travel far may not even attend because of the travel, not because of the Friday wedding. We are also very tight on our guest list due to having large families and budget constraints. Several people have commented that it is "rude" to not allow my single guests to have a plus one. I would love to accommodate everyone, but its simply not in the budget :(
  • I was trying on my dress recently and my mother saw that I had on a pretty aggressive bustier and commented, "Oh, good! I was going to say you should get some Spanx." I've had more than one person imply that I'm only working out to get in shape for the wedding. I guess the three half marathons and the marathon before getting engaged were just for shits and grins. We got engaged on New Years, are marrying in October. When we set the date, my MIL commented that it was a long engagement, and why is that?? Um, not really, and because weddings cost MONEY.
        I get this too! I am actually fine with my weight, I'm currently toning up because there's a part in a musical that auditions in a year that I want to go out for. The character is a fitness instructor (Brooke in 'Legally Blonde" the musical) and , while my weight is good, I need to tone up. As a professional dancer/singer I have worked on my weight for most of my adult life. 

Now that I'm getting married, people think that could be the only possible reason I'm exercising and maintaining my weight! I even get comments "aren't you glad you kept yourself thin all these years so you look good on your wedding" Um, I actually maintained my weight my whole life for dancing. I guess after the wedding I can 'let myself go', since apparently getting married is the only good reason to stay thin. 
  • Fairyjen1 said:
    I was trying on my dress recently and my mother saw that I had on a pretty aggressive bustier and commented, "Oh, good! I was going to say you should get some Spanx." I've had more than one person imply that I'm only working out to get in shape for the wedding. I guess the three half marathons and the marathon before getting engaged were just for shits and grins. We got engaged on New Years, are marrying in October. When we set the date, my MIL commented that it was a long engagement, and why is that?? Um, not really, and because weddings cost MONEY.
        I get this too! I am actually fine with my weight, I'm currently toning up because there's a part in a musical that auditions in a year that I want to go out for. The character is a fitness instructor (Brooke in 'Legally Blonde" the musical) and , while my weight is good, I need to tone up. As a professional dancer/singer I have worked on my weight for most of my adult life. 

Now that I'm getting married, people think that could be the only possible reason I'm exercising and maintaining my weight! I even get comments "aren't you glad you kept yourself thin all these years so you look good on your wedding" Um, I actually maintained my weight my whole life for dancing. I guess after the wedding I can 'let myself go', since apparently getting married is the only good reason to stay thin. 
    Exactly! My FI jokes about it a lot because he has several friends who "let themselves go" after the wedding, and his philosophy toward it is more like... shouldn't you want to try harder for that person once you have them? And I've dropped a ton of weight on my own long before I ever met him, so it's not as if I had a wedding in my midst at that point in my life. I just think it's so incredibly rude, and I feel like it's really infantilizing to women to basically say, "Hey, this is the only day in your life that's ever going to matter." OF COURSE it matters, but I will have other amazing days, too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It wasn't rude really but H's uncle asked at the reception, so did your parents pay for all of this? I said nope we did ( & we did). 

Who would ask that??  I felt a bit insulted, that he was somehow implying we couldn't possibly host such a nice event on our own (but guess what we can and we did!!!)  

Anniversary

• izza2izza2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My future FIL's first response was to ask if I was pregnant. He's very much so against weddings.

Aside from that it's just people complaining that we're not providing them with alcohol. Which I can live with. :)
  • Obnoxious Girl, after seeing my ring for the first time: "So, John, where'd you get it? Wait. I shouldn't ask that in front of Jen! Haha! You know, in case she doesn't know! Haha!"

John: "Oh, no, I mean, she knows where I got it. It's from Tiffany."

[Long pause.]

OG: "Oh. Well that's... unexpected."

• Also these gems:

While attending another friend's wedding: "I hope your wedding will be this fun. We'll see."

"I hope you are registering at Bed Bath & Beyond so I can use my 20% off coupon."

• Oh! And this one.

Coworker was complaining to me about a work happy hour type event that we were asked to attend, but to which we could not bring guests. He was very upset by this. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I think it's just supposed to be a teambuilding thing. Or they want to keep costs down." He replied, "It's rude. You'll understand when you're finally married."

As if, immediately upon my wedding date, I will suddenly become insanely codependent and unable to attend work functions without the man I've been dating for the past 5 years.

• Oh god! They are all coming back to me now.

Same Obnoxious Girl (my fiance's coworker), said to my fiance, about our wedding, right in front of me: "It kind of sucks going to weddings where you are only friends with one half of the couple."

• jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Last one, I promise. The not one, but two, different jewelers we went to when shopping for wedding bands, who, after looking at my engagement ring (which I think is the most beautiful, sparkly, wonderful ring on the entire planet and which I love more than anything else I own) made comments like, "I guess it's ok, but you should have come to us!" I get that they think it's funny, but how about just a nice, "Beautiful ring. Let's see what we have to go with it." Why start off our relationship with a dig at my engagement ring? Also, one jeweler explained to me that my "mass produced" Tiffany ring is probably full of "tiny air bubbles" (???) and that over time these air bubbles will cause my ring to "just completely fall apart." I mean, WHAT? Also, she said this in front of my wonderful fiance, you know, that guy that actually picked out and forked over the dough to buy my ring. Ugh. So rude.
  • jenijoyk said:
    Last one, I promise. The not one, but two, different jewelers we went to when shopping for wedding bands, who, after looking at my engagement ring (which I think is the most beautiful, sparkly, wonderful ring on the entire planet and which I love more than anything else I own) made comments like, "I guess it's ok, but you should have come to us!" I get that they think it's funny, but how about just a nice, "Beautiful ring. Let's see what we have to go with it." Why start off our relationship with a dig at my engagement ring? Also, one jeweler explained to me that my "mass produced" Tiffany ring is probably full of "tiny air bubbles" (???) and that over time these air bubbles will cause my ring to "just completely fall apart." I mean, WHAT? Also, she said this in front of my wonderful fiance, you know, that guy that actually picked out and forked over the dough to buy my ring. Ugh. So rude.

SITB

That's really bad customer service!  That's not going to be good for business if they keep doing that.  Unless it actually works for them and they convince girls to give up the ring that their FI proposed with to upgrade?  Because that's sad.

• jenijoyk said:

Oh! And this one.

Coworker was complaining to me about a work happy hour type event that we were asked to attend, but to which we could not bring guests. He was very upset by this. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I think it's just supposed to be a teambuilding thing. Or they want to keep costs down." He replied, "It's rude. You'll understand when you're finally married."

As if, immediately upon my wedding date, I will suddenly become insanely codependent and unable to attend work functions without the man I've been dating for the past 5 years.

This happened two years ago for my company's holiday party.  I guess people used to get plus ones but they decided to cut back on expenses by only inviting employees without guests.  However, they also hosted the party at 3 pm or something like that so you could leave at the normal time and get home to spend time with your spouse, kids, etc.  

One guy in the payroll department blew a gasket contemplating attending a social event without his wife.  I thought it was a little sweet but also kind of codependent- besides, who really wants to hang out with their spouse's co-workers?  My husband was relieved to hear that he couldn't go!
  • danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

My wedding was in my in-laws home, and there was ceremony, food, camaraderie. A co-worker of mine said it was rude not to have music and dancing and drinking.

Because, you have to show your guests a good time, that is why they buy you a gift.

Is this true? Or is it a commonly held belief?

• I have a co-worker in a higher position than me who is in her mid 30s and has a boyfriend though wants to be engaged. Very cynical about "young brides" like me who give into the "wedding money machine." I'm honestly not that much younger than her anyway.

She asked what my budget was when I first got engaged which I found highly rude. And since then has been emailing me cheesy articles about "cutting wedding costs," "saving money on your wedding dress," etc. I find it incredibly insulting that she assumes I don't have much money just because I'm in a lower position than her at work. My FI works very hard and we have been doing a fantastic job saving for our big day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    She asked what my budget was when I first got engaged which I found highly rude. And since then has been emailing me cheesy articles about "cutting wedding costs," "saving money on your wedding dress," etc. I find it incredibly insulting that she assumes I don't have much money just because I'm in a lower position than her at work. My FI works very hard and we have been doing a fantastic job saving for our big day.
    My FMIL did / is doing this!  She even bought me books on how to save money for a wedding / how to decorate on a budget / how to DIY everything under the sun....  It comes off as very awkward. She & FFIL have told us they're helping contribute for our wedding, but come on!  We did not ask for it, we weren't expecting it, and for the love of God - if you don't want to contribute - don't! 

ETA: FI and I are indeed paying for a lot of our wedding, so it's not like it's all on them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Upon seeing a photo of my wedding gown: "I can see now why you're trying to lose weight!" WHAAAAT.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards