Not Engaged Yet

WR Questions

I'm asking here because I trust you guys and your opinions.  So I went to go visit my dress last night, the veil that I tried on with it, was $300.  I refuse to pay $300 for a veil, I plan to take off after the ceremony, so I've been looking around online.  I also wanted to find a barrett for my hair too, to match some of the beading. I going to try to search around online for one today, and may stop by David's Bridal.  For those who are married or getting married soon, where did you find your veil?

Did you have your veil and head pieces before your first hair trial? I'm also looking at hair and make up artists.  How far out did you do your hair and make up trials? Did you book before doing a trial or did you do a trial and then book based off of what they did.  I kind of wanted a trial first but I'm wondering if it's too early for one, but if I wait I worry some of the artists I'm looking at now may be booked.  I feel like it's the question which comes first the chicken or the egg. 

Thanks for the advice and help. 

Anniversary

Re: WR Questions

• How much are you willing to spend on a veil and hair piece?  The veil I liked at DBs was $189 which I thought was high for a beaded piece of Tulle!!  The hair piece I liked there was $149 - again thought it was high for something I'd wear once!  EBay had the veil I liked for $135 I think.  You may want to check out Etsy and if your crafty, I'm sure there's at least one youTube video on 'how to make your own veil' - I've heard of other brides making their own veil for under $40.

Anniversary
  • I had a fingertip veil with a pencil edge and I bought it from a shop on Etsy. The total cost after shipping was $47. Here's a link to the shop I used: CLICK. I also had a hair comb which I borrowed from a friend who got married the year before me. 

I had my veil and my hair comb for my hair trial which I did 5 weeks before my wedding. I've known my hair stylist since I was 10 so I didn't need to test her out prior to booking.

As for makeup, I did my (real) trial 5 weeks before (same day as hair). I booked my MUA a little under a year out and I did kind of a pre-trial with her for my e-pics and then booked her on the spot. 

The MUA I went with was actually my 2nd choice. My 1st choice was booked when I started contacting people 11 months out. You're in NJ also so that's just something to keep in mind. Shit here books SO early. 

• I wish I was craft enough to make my own veil. I can look on etsy tonight too.

Anniversary

• My veil was around $150 and I bought it at the boutique that I bought my dress from. I brought them to my first hair trial definitely. I wanted to make sure it looked good with the style I was picturing. I made the hair trial appointment a little early on because I wanted to make sure that if need be, I had time to make another appointment after that if I wanted to change it. So I made it about 3 months out for the fist one. I booked prior to my trial which probably wasn't the best decision now that you mention it. I didn't think they would even give me that option. Luckily, they ended up doing a fabulous job but if they hadn't then I would have been pissed.

• @swazzle it sucks that things book up so quickly around here! I'll definitely look at the etsy shop you used! thanks!

Anniversary

• My sister found a cathedral mantilla veil which are ridic expensive on eBay for like $40.  The lady hand made it. IT WAS GORGEOUS.
    Anniversary

• I found my veil at DB.  It was around $150, which was, hilariously, more expensive than my wedding dress.  I found the flower barrette that I wore in my hair at Claire's, believe it or not.  I had looked around, and MANY of the hair accessories I found in bridal salons were $50+…and I thought that was outrageous.  So I popped into Claire's, in a chance, and found the perfect hair flower, for $4.

I didn't have my hair flower or veil at the time of my hair trial, which was about 6 weeks before my wedding.  I did a trial at one place, hated it, found another place, did another trial, loved it, and then did my wedding hair off of trial #2.  I did my own makeup and the makeup of my entire BP, so I never booked a makeup artist.

•   @loves2shop4shoes thanks! I never thought to look in Claire's! Thanks for the idea.  If you weren't so far away I'd have you come do my make up!

Anniversary

• @Peaseblossom55 - Don't forget Charming Charlies if you have them in the area as well

Anniversary
  • @dignity100 I've heard of that store they probably don't have any near by...

Anniversary

• My sister and I are actually passing around my mother's veil. My sister took the cap off of it and it just has a hair comb. Something borrowed!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ahhh that reminds me I'm going to need to find a something borrowed!

Anniversary

• @peaseblossom55 I have no idea what I want to do for a veil, I do like the scattered crystal element so I know I want to go with that. I might try to DIY it, but if you're not crafty don't try it! If there's a Hobby Lobby in your area (I swear they should start paying me) they sell veils and sometimes their wedding tuff is 50% off. If there isn't one in your area and you're interested let me know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 - they sell veils there!?!  Way cool - I might take a stab and try making one myself!!  YAY!!

@Peaseblossom55 - I have NO idea on my something borrowed.  I don't even know what other girls have done.  My necklace will be my 'something old', hoping my shoes will be my 'something blue'... does the dress/veil/head piece count as the 'something new'??  Charming Charlie's has a website.  It's like an 'upscale Claire's' best way I can describe it.

Anniversary
  • @dignity100 they do! FWIW I've been doing my research and it doesn't seem too hard if you have the patience. I have so many craft stores around me too it helps to find the best deal on tulle, hair combs, crystals, etc.

@peaseblossom55 I've already figured out my something old (the diamond in my e-ring) something new (my dress) something borrowed (an old pendant that my mom has that was my great-great grandmother's) and something blue (an emerald cut double row aquamarine tennis bracelet)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddymom80 I do pass a Hobby Lobby on my way home from work I may go today. Thanks!

At this point my new is my dress.  My blue is a pair of underwear and my old... not sure yet.  I guess my underwear could count, the first time I wore them was yesterday... I need to figure out my wedding jewelry unfortunately there is no old heirloom jewlery in the family.

I kind of like this veil

http://www.lightinthebox.com/two-tier-fingertip-wedding-veil-with-applique-edge_p532771.html

it's cheap and pretty and even if it was awful, It's only $17, my though is that it has some pearls on it and my dress doesn't have any pearls

Anniversary

• I'm using my sisters veil. It's not really a veil but like a blusher? She got it from Her bridal salon and it was majorly expensive.

I'm not positive I'm wearing it but I think veil for ceremony and hairpiece for reception. I've found hairpieces I love on etsy but hobby lobby has super cheap ones. So we will see. I just need a little bling lol
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I skipped the veil altogether.  We didn't have a religious ceremony and I didn't feel the need to spend money on something I would be wearing for 25 min.   My hair comb, was from Nordstrom's bridal section.  I searched for months and couldn't find anything I liked. 

I did not have the comb at my hair trial, but my wedding hair was done by my regular stylist so we discussed using it at another appointment.

I got married in Chicago on a pretty popular weekend, so I booked my hair and makeup in April.  If I had waited any longer both my girls would've been booked.

Do you want to keep your pieces forever?  If you're open to it Rent the Runway has a bridal section with accessories.  I seriously looked at these as an option.  My sash was super delayed from an Etsy vendor ( like 8 weeks delayed) and I was afraid it wouldn't be here in time.  RTR had a sash I really liked and almost went with instead, plus some pretty great jewelry that would be very affordable for the day.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @suzie211 I didn't know RTR had rentals for bridal stuff!!!! Good to know!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @Blue I think I need to get to Hobby Lobby after work now! thanks!

I didn't think of Rent the Runway I'll have to check that out.  Not sure if I want to keep the pieces forever either, not sure when I would where them again honestly....

Anniversary

• Also, if you're looking to do a sash, you can MAKE it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

I had this EXACT sash on my dress:

And I bought the jeweled fabric bit from a shop in the Garment District in NYC for $30, and had my seamstress sew it into sash fabric and put it on my dress for another $15.
  • @buddymom80 I do pass a Hobby Lobby on my way home from work I may go today. Thanks!

At this point my new is my dress.  My blue is a pair of underwear and my old... not sure yet.  I guess my underwear could count, the first time I wore them was yesterday... I need to figure out my wedding jewelry unfortunately there is no old heirloom jewlery in the family.

I kind of like this veil

http://www.lightinthebox.com/two-tier-fingertip-wedding-veil-with-applique-edge_p532771.html

it's cheap and pretty and even if it was awful, It's only $17, my though is that it has some pearls on it and my dress doesn't have any pearls

@peaseblossom55, LITB is a known chinese scam site. I wouldn't order from them. 

As far as my hair goes, I did a trial 2.5 weeks out and used my regular hair guy. He did my wedding hair for a hella discount and even did @elle1036's hair for free. I like him a lot. If you have someone you usually go to, see if they do updo's and if you like their work.

As far as make up goes, I went to Sephora and it was fantastic! Is there one nearby that you might be able to inquire about? They just required a $50 purchase and I found some of my new favorite products that day. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • @audrewuh thanks! I actually ordered one off of etsy this weekend.  I love it and it was only $45.  

I will need someone to come to the hotel room most of my bridesmaids and  both mothers are getting hair done.

Anniversary

• edited January 2014
    For my first wedding I shopped a lot on Etsy. I got my veil for about $15. As well as most of my other accessories feel into this price point as well. I will probably do the same again just because I love finding handmade items that are unique and not run of the mill. Plus, it'll be my SO's first and I want a fresh start so I'm going to go all out and actually get the items I want :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards