May 2014 Weddings
Options

Haint Blue and other Questions

Okay so, FI and I got an apartment (yay!!!) that is able to be moved into in March. If I get a job up there (where FI lives/works), we'll move in together but if I don't have a job up there by then he'll move in alone until in find a job.

So I'm super excited about decorating...and one of the things is I want to paint our bedroom ceiling haint blue. My bedroom I've had since I was a baby has the ceiling painted that color, as is all the bedrooms in our house...however, no one in my family knows what "paint store color" it is. So...I'm asking y'all...do you know what paint I should get that's the right haint blue? It's just tradition, I guess, to have it...and so I wanna make sure it's "right."

Also, I feel so behind the times...we haven't planned our menu yet or picked out songs for anything...am I that behind or am I stressing for no reason? I am not a planner and so this is all beyond my comfort zone anyways. Haha! :)
Anniversary

Re: Haint Blue and other Questions

• Options
    Congrats its really exicting! We got a place back in July and I also had to move 2 hours away to  but I made sure I had a job first (his job was up here and my old job was 2 hours a way) we pretty much decided I would quit mine because he makes more then I did but yeha  and why not move in and look for a job up there aslong as one of you have a income it would be easier on gas too just a thought (:

I have no clue about the paint color ( I bet its pretty) but I do know if you are renting youll most likely have to paint it back white or pay a fee when y'all  move

As far as the planning goes think about your fav food hehe we have the food and all we have not made the dj playlist of picked out flowers so dont stress girl aslong as its done before the wedding that what matters weather  it be last min or not (: Enjoy the time planning because you only plan a wedding once (:

• Options
    Is there any way you can get a little piece of the paint color? Almost any paint place can match it. If not, I would just get a whole bunch of blue paint strips from the store and take them to and hold them up to the ceilings in your house and find the closest match. 

I don't think you're behind. We haven't finalized our menu or even booked any musicians yet, let alone picked out songs :) I just plan on spending the next few weekends focused on all things wedding to get it done.
  • Options
    I work at Lowes in the paint department.  Like @tammym1001 said, you can take a paint chip into the store to color match.  Make sure it is at least the size of a dime so the machine can read it.  Otherwise, because you know the paint color, go into your local Lowes (cause I know they have the system and they have the paint matching system too) and ask them to look up the color.  They may have the formula already in the system.  That would be the most ideal thing, otherwise like I said, a paint chip from the ceiling will work.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and updates!

I'll try to do the "paint chip" tactic...the thing is, haint blue isn't really a color name (like "sunshine yellow" or "grass" or whatever) from a store. It's an old southern thing...you put the color on your porch or bedroom ceilings to keep "haints" (spirits) away. So I guess y'all are right, it's not a "specific" color...idk, I'm rambling at this point. haha!

Either way, thanks for the advice...and I'm glad that we're not "behind," as I was beginning to freak out about it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sherwin-Williams recommends a couple of their colours for haint blue at the end of this article: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/color/education/sw-article-pro-thewhysbehind.html

• Options
    @pumpkinsandturkeys you're awesome! I haven't seen that article before...it's informative and great! I really appreciate it!

It seems kinda silly but having the ceiling painted "haint blue" is kinda a tradition/something that ties me to my family, that I'm very close to!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think I read the same article that @pumpkinsandturkeys posted, and it was very interesting about the history and everything.  I can see how it became a tradition for you, @klc09d as it seems to be a tradition with a lot of people :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards