Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for non housegoods

Me and my FI have been together for 8 years and have been living together for most of it. While there are a few items that we can register that might be on your normal registry we have mostly everything we need for our house. A friend of mine suggested that we register at REI because we live in a mountain town where people do a lot outdoor activities, and we are doing a backpacking trip for our honeymoon. One of my BMs said it's inappropriate to ask for "stuff just for ourselves", but I see it as stuff we need. Should I forget about REI?

Re: Registering for non housegoods

• It's perfectly fine to register for outdoor and sports equipment.  It's best to choose things that you would use together rather than something that's just for one of you.  
  • In my opinion, I think it is okay to include some of that stuff.  If it is something that can contribute to your relationship and spending time together, or something that you will both use, I think it is fine. And I would rather buy someone non-household items that they would actually use than something that they don't really need.

But I wouldn't let that be your entire registry... some people may be put off by that. 

People can always use new sheets or towels, so you could probably add some of those.  Or upgrades to some of the household goods that you already have, like a better coffee pot or toaster.  I am the same way, we are older and have been living together 5 years, but we looked around and decided that our pots & pans are getting kind of old.  I buy new sheet sets about once a year anyway, so might as well add those to my list.  And we have a couple large bath sheet towels, but it is always good to have a few more.  And some of our kitchen utensils, like measuring cups, are getting old and worn out, so it may not be bad to replace those. We also added some artwork that we have been looking at for a while, but hadn't gotten around to buying.

But, I think its okay to include non-household stuff as an option, as long as you also provide options for more traditional items for people that would prefer to go that route.  But, I see it as a registry to help start your lives together, and if your lives involve hiking together, why shouldn't you include it?

• I think it is fine to register there and only there if you choose. It's the same as having a small registry or none at all - people can still opt to buy you more traditional wedding presents if they choose.  If you do not register for some of the more traditional (i.e. housewares, bedding, serving ware) you risk getting thinks you don't want or multiple of the same item. You might want to do this especially if you plan on having any showers.

Either way I think it beats a honeymoon registry.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• As long as both you and your FI will use it, its fine to register for outdoor and sports equipment.

I would recommend having a registry with household items as well, so you can lessen your chance of getting duplicates/things you don't like.

Anniversary
  • jlaven27 said:
    Me and my FI have been together for 8 years and have been living together for most of it. While there are a few items that we can register that might be on your normal registry we have mostly everything we need for our house. A friend of mine suggested that we register at REI because we live in a mountain town where people do a lot outdoor activities, and we are doing a backpacking trip for our honeymoon. One of my BMs said it's inappropriate to ask for "stuff just for ourselves", but I see it as stuff we need. Should I forget about REI?
    I don't get this statement.  Wouldn't household items be just for you too?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I plan on registering at more conventional places as well. I just know that I need don't to replace many things other than things like towels and sheets. 

Either way I think it beats a honeymoon registry.
    I had a friend that did a honeyfund and it didn't turn out the way she wanted. So I knew not to go that route.
  • I offered to do a REI registry because FI loves that store, and we are going on safari for the honeymoon so we do need some gear.  He declined.  He would rather just go out and buy the stuff himself than have someone else do it for him, which is fair. 

But an REI registry makes complete sense for a lot of people (especialy if you camp, etc - a tent or sleepig bag is basically the same as a comforter or sheets if you ask me).  Go ahead!

• A friend of mine many years ago registered at Walmart for things from kitchen stuff to lots of camping stuff, they love to camp. When my husband I registered we included things like a wine fridge, outdoor games, a basketball hoop & ball, stuff all over the board. It's stuff we wanted or could use so I figured isn't that what gift giving is about? Giving people stuff they want or can use? A registery just helps people know what that items are.

• I think that is a fun idea-- just have a "regular" registry in addition to REI for people who prefer to give the more traditional gifts.  I am sure you can find a few upgrades. And then have friends/family spread the word that you "need" the REI stuff--people will get the hint when the see the small registry.  We had camping and golf equipment on our BBB registry and we got all of those things. 

Anniversary
  • thanks for the input ladies!
  • We're registered at REI in addition to other places. Camping and hiking will continue to be a big part of our lives, but we only put on items that we'd use together (tent, air mattress, camp furniture and cook supplies...). I feel like that's totally registry appropriate! On the other hand, I wouldn't feel as comfortable registering for, like, new shoes or a swimsuit or something. Which someone could theoretically do at Macy's as well...
  • We're doing Bed Bath & Beyond for household stuff, REI for camping stuff (FI's responsibility to update), and Amazon, mostly for board games, because we could host game nights without having to ask people to bring all the games. My FI's coworker registered for camping stuff, and their whole office went in on a bunch of it. They liked it, because they got to buy something they knew their coworker (the groom) would appreciate. I've received positive comments about the board games too, mostly from people who would benefit from us having them. :-)
  • I love when couples do REI registries, especially if I know they are outdoorsy. I end up just getting an REI gift card, so they can just get what they really really want in the end
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards