Wedding Reception Forum

To Dance or Not to Dance?

My FI and I have envisioned our reception as a beautiful dinner party and that's what we've planned for as opposed to a dinner/dance reception.  Our main focus has been on the food (plated 5 course dinner) and a fully stocked open bar and we decided against a DJ and hired a guitar trio instead to play during dinner and through the night.  However, we of course want to have a first dance as well as the father/daughter and mother/son dances. 

We're expecting 100-120 guests and we're really hoping that they will enjoy themselves w/out dancing.  Or rather, w/out a DJ or full band.  Guests will be more then welcome to dance to the guitar trio, if they want. 

Has anyone ever been to a wedding like this?  If so, thoughts?

Re: To Dance or Not to Dance?

• I haven't been to a wedding like that, but it still sounds lovely.

From what I've heard from other women on the boards though, these receptions might not last as long.  People typically stay longer at receptions with dancing, or at least a more party-like atmosphere (guitar trio sound lovely, but not exactly party-like, you know?).

If you're fine with that, then go for it.  Go with what fits your personality.

SaveSave
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    It sounds lovely to me, but yes, be prepared that it may end earlier.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • katyqv said:
    My FI and I have envisioned our reception as a beautiful dinner party and that's what we've planned for as opposed to a dinner/dance reception.  Our main focus has been on the food (plated 5 course dinner) and a fully stocked open bar and we decided against a DJ and hired a guitar trio instead to play during dinner and through the night.  However, we of course want to have a first dance as well as the father/daughter and mother/son dances. 

We're expecting 100-120 guests and we're really hoping that they will enjoy themselves w/out dancing.  Or rather, w/out a DJ or full band.  Guests will be more then welcome to dance to the guitar trio, if they want. 

Dancing to the guitar trio will be fine; you don't have to have a DJ or full band.  But having first dances for yourselves but no dancing for anyone else would confuse guests at best and generate hostile reactions at worst.
  • Jen4948 said:
    katyqv said:

Dancing to the guitar trio will be fine; you don't have to have a DJ or full band.  But having first dances for yourselves but no dancing for anyone else would confuse guests at best and generate hostile reactions at worst.
    Yeah, I hear ya.  Guests are welcome to dance to the trio as well.  Should this be announced?
  • katyqv said:
    Jen4948 said:
    katyqv said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  Guests are welcome to dance to the trio as well.  Should this be announced?
    If you are having a few spotlight dances, they'll figure it out.
  • I attended a wedding like this last year and really enjoyed myself.  As you'd mentioned in your post, there was an abundance of food, and it was phenomenal, as well as a full open bar, also terrific.  There was a string quartet playing in the background.  The whole vibe was "relaxed and fun night out with friends at a great restaurant" (make sure you sit guests with people they know well).

The bride danced with her father which was nice, and there was a cake-cutting, also nice.  Both gave the evening a wedding-y touch ;)  We were there from about 7:30-10pm.  I think if it'd been any longer would've felt too long.  Happy planning!

• We are doing this for our wedding, but we aren't doing spot light dances. There will be live musicians and a dance floor so people are welcome to dance, but we are going more for a nice dinner out with friends feel. That's how we like to spend our nights out so that's what we wanted our wedding to be like. We are a little older also so our friends aren't huge dancing/partying people. Our wedding is going to be from 4-8:30 because I didn't think it would go real late without a DJ and a lot of dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards