Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Please HELP regarding dress size

I have a question. I'm trying to figure out if the bridal store is trying to rip me off lol. I have decided on a dress. They had the sample dress in two sizes...a 10 and a 6. The 6 zipped up on me but was tight. It caused some creasing across the hip area and I couldn't have sat down in it. The 10 fit fine but was looser than necessary all over. So to my mind, it makes sense that they'd order an 8. They want to order a 12!!!!!!!! The 6 zipped up...it was just tight. I'd think one size up would fix the issue. Not THREE! Heck, even two sizes up I could understand. Are they just trying to make sure TONS of alterations are necessary? I don't care what the size label on the dress says...an 8 or 20...what I do care about is that the integrity of the dress isn't unnecessarily compromised by massive amounts of alterations.

So what do you all think? Am I way off base and do bridal dresses just work differently?

I want to add that this is a very reputable store with great reviews and I had an amazing experience picking out the dress with them. They were very patient, helpful and knowledgeable throughout. But I just don't understand the rationale behind this? I could ask them to explain their reasoning but I don't want them to feel like I'm insisting on ordering an 8/10 if they know better (which likely they do know better). Yet I don't want to be taken for a fool either. I'd really appreciate some feedback!

Re: Please HELP regarding dress size

• Options
    did they take your measurements?  Each designer usually has a size chart - can you check online for the size chart for your perticular dress and see if matches up with your measurements?  
  • Options
    Did you try the dress on with the undergarments you're planning on wearing? That can make a huge difference. I tried on my dress at a size 12, and it seemed like it was too tight. However when I tried it on with the undergarments I was planning on wearing, I dropped to an 8.
    No, I didn't. I don't really know what undergarments I'll be wearing because so much depends on the dress I would end up with. So I was wearing a regular old bra and panties lol. The dress has built in boning on the torso so I won't need anything additional there but I suppose I could wear spanx on my bottom half which could affect the size. The issue is that it was a dress from a trunk show so I can't go in there and try it on again with spanx. Thanks for your input! I just have a feeling they want to order this WAY too big...
    jenni1221 said:
    did they take your measurements?  Each designer usually has a size chart - can you check online for the size chart for your perticular dress and see if matches up with your measurements?  
    They did take my measurements. Good point on checking a size chart online. I'll have to measure myself and try to see if I can find the information online. Thank you!
  • Options
    It is possible that the largest measurement they took on you (based on your description probably hips?) was consistent with that particular dress in a size 12. That could be why they ordered it like that, so that you would fit properly(comfortably) and then they can alter the other parts of the dress to be smaller. It is much easier to alter and go smaller than it is to go larger. It would be irresponsible for them to order an 8 if there were parts they would need to make larger and they were not sure they could without compromising the integrity of the dress. Perhaps this is the process they go by, it would make sense. Also keep in mind the sample gowns have probably been tried on many times by brides of many different sizes, and have likely been 'worn' or stretched a bit from their original shape.
  • Options
    It is possible that the largest measurement they took on you (based on your description probably hips?) was consistent with that particular dress in a size 12. That could be why they ordered it like that, so that you would fit properly(comfortably) and then they can alter the other parts of the dress to be smaller. It is much easier to alter and go smaller than it is to go larger. It would be irresponsible for them to order an 8 if there were parts they would need to make larger and they were not sure they could without compromising the integrity of the dress. Perhaps this is the process they go by, it would make sense. Also keep in mind the sample gowns have probably been tried on many times by brides of many different sizes, and have likely been 'worn' or stretched a bit from their original shape.
    This is a really really good point. My sister bought her dress in a size 8 because the sample size in her gown was an 8 and fit her absolutely perfectly at the salon. When her dress came in they couldn't even get it zipped up. Thankfully there was just enough fabric that the alterations lady was able to take the dress out but it was a still a very tight fit and she worked out like crazy up until her wedding day to make sure her dress zipped up without any problems. It was a really stressful experience for her.

• Options
    The bolded is why I am thinking that a size 12 is the appropriate size for you.

When I ordered my dress the size chart said I was a 10 but the salon was like "oh but you fit into the sample which is an 8 and it was slightly big on you" so we all decided that an 8 would be perfect.  Well the dress came in and low and behold it didn't fit (wouldn't zip about 6 inches). Granted I had gained about 3 pounds but that wouldn't have caused it to be that small on me.

Have you ever watched a dress show?  Have you noticed that the sample dresses are put on girls who are much larger then those sizes?  By doing this over and over and over again that dress gets stretched out a lot so the 10 that you tried on is most likely a 12 by now because of the stretching of the material.

• Options
    You make a good point actually. This gown was from a trunk show and she told me that I was actually the first person to be trying the dress on. Not sure if the stretching out theory still applies to trunk show dresses? Do these dresses make the rounds from store to store hence still get stretched out? I guess the best way would be to compare my measurements with a size chart from the designer. 
    This is a really really good point. My sister bought her dress in a size 8 because the sample size in her gown was an 8 and fit her absolutely perfectly at the salon. When her dress came in they couldn't even get it zipped up. Thankfully there was just enough fabric that the alterations lady was able to take the dress out but it was a still a very tight fit and she worked out like crazy up until her wedding day to make sure her dress zipped up without any problems. It was a really stressful experience for her.
    OMG I can't even imagine how stressful that would be :( I actually just googled this about them and found a number of complaints from other brides that they ordered their dress two sizes too big and charged them $$$ for alterations. I haven't ordered the dress from them yet nor have I paid anything. Getting a bad feeling reading these reviews now (mind you there are a LOT of good reviews about them also).
    The bolded is why I am thinking that a size 12 is the appropriate size for you.

When I ordered my dress the size chart said I was a 10 but the salon was like "oh but you fit into the sample which is an 8 and it was slightly big on you" so we all decided that an 8 would be perfect.  Well the dress came in and low and behold it didn't fit (wouldn't zip about 6 inches). Granted I had gained about 3 pounds but that wouldn't have caused it to be that small on me.

Have you ever watched a dress show?  Have you noticed that the sample dresses are put on girls who are much larger then those sizes?  By doing this over and over and over again that dress gets stretched out a lot so the 10 that you tried on is most likely a 12 by now because of the stretching of the material.
    No, I've not watched a lot of shows related to weddings etc. This was a dress that was in a trunk show, so would the stretching out theory still apply? She told me I was the first to try on those dresses that day because they had just come in.
  • Options

No, I've not watched a lot of shows related to weddings etc. This was a dress that was in a trunk show, so would the stretching out theory still apply? She told me I was the first to try on those dresses that day because they had just come in.
    Yes, because even though you were the first to try them on that day doesn't mean that many others hadn't tried them on at other salons. Trunk shows are basically when bridal salons feature a certain designer and if you buy during that time then you may get a discount. Those dresses travel from salon to salon to salon so hundreds of brides try them on.

• Options

Yes, because even though you were the first to try them on that day doesn't mean that many others hadn't tried them on at other salons. Trunk shows are basically when bridal salons feature a certain designer and if you buy during that time then you may get a discount. Those dresses travel from salon to salon to salon so hundreds of brides try them on.
    Ah ok! Thanks for explaining that. I wasn't sure :-)
  • Options

No problem!  IMO I would rather go by the sizing chart and have my dress be a bit too big then not go by it and have my dress come in too small.  I didn't go by the sizing chart and my dress came in to small but I was lucky and was able to lose a good chunk of weight.  My friend on the other hand.  Didn't go by the sizing chart and her dress came it where even if she lost a lot of weight it still wouldn't have fit because her actual bone structure was what the issue really was so they had to rush and get her a whole new dress.  She was lucky that they were able to do this because if they weren't able to she would have been stuck with a too small dress that would not have been able to be let out.

• Options

No problem!  IMO I would rather go by the sizing chart and have my dress be a bit too big then not go by it and have my dress come in too small.  I didn't go by the sizing chart and my dress came in to small but I was lucky and was able to lose a good chunk of weight.  My friend on the other hand.  Didn't go by the sizing chart and her dress came it where even if she lost a lot of weight it still wouldn't have fit because her actual bone structure was what the issue really was so they had to rush and get her a whole new dress.  She was lucky that they were able to do this because if they weren't able to she would have been stuck with a too small dress that would not have been able to be let out.
    Oh absolutely! I have no problem if the sizing chart confirms it's a 12 for me. The dress just has so much fine detail and beading on it that I want to be sure they aren't creating alteration work for themselves. I read a few reviews about them that also mentioned them having ordered dresses that were two sizes too big. So now I'm extra paranoid lol. 
  • Options
    @valencienne - you could always go back and have them remeasure you just to make sure that they have their numbers right.  Heck you could ask if 2 or 3 people can measure you so you know that the numbers are right.  And ask to see the sizing chart as well so you can confirm that the size they are suggesting is the size that correlates with your measurements.

From what you have said about the shop I don't think they would try to pull a fast one on you.  Also the girls that made those reviews may have lost weight and didn't take that into account when their dresses came in huge.  Also there could have been a size mix up a long the way.  But if it is a reputable store with a lot more positive reviews then negative I would go ahead and trust their judgement.

• Options
    Is there anything forcing you to use the store's alteration department?  I know one of the stores I looked at only offered 'packages' and they were extremely overpriced.  After reading reviews, most girls would buy their dress from the store but use a different seamstress.

Anniversary
  • Options
    OP, the other thing to consider is that it's generally MUCH easier to take in a dress than to let it out.  If the likely-stretched-out 10 fit you perfectly - there's a chance (especially if you diet/exercise before the wedding) that they'll need to take it in, but that is generally easier and less expensive than to let a dress out.

My measurements were all over the place (bust and waist at a size 2, hips/butt at a size 10...) so we ordered the 10 and are planning on taking in the top - at my bridal shop, those alterations will be between $60-80 depending on how much is needed.
  • Options
    @valencienne - you could always go back and have them remeasure you just to make sure that they have their numbers right.  Heck you could ask if 2 or 3 people can measure you so you know that the numbers are right.  And ask to see the sizing chart as well so you can confirm that the size they are suggesting is the size that correlates with your measurements.

From what you have said about the shop I don't think they would try to pull a fast one on you.  Also the girls that made those reviews may have lost weight and didn't take that into account when their dresses came in huge.  Also there could have been a size mix up a long the way.  But if it is a reputable store with a lot more positive reviews then negative I would go ahead and trust their judgement.
    It does have a lot more positive reviews than negative. But the negatives there ARE happen to be about sizing and alterations so that's why I'm wary. I will just email her later today and ask for the measurements she took of me as well as the size chart.

Is there anything forcing you to use the store's alteration department?  I know one of the stores I looked at only offered 'packages' and they were extremely overpriced.  After reading reviews, most girls would buy their dress from the store but use a different seamstress.
    No, not at all. I plan to take the dress to another seamstress. But I hadn't mentioned this to the store (didn't see a need to at this point) so I wondered if they're botching up the sizing because they're assuming I'd be paying THEM for alterations.
  • Options
    the sample dress i tried on for my gown was a 22 i am a 20-22 in street clothes the 22 was 5 inches to tight i could not get the top to fully lay right on me and the back would not totally lace up. when she measured me i measured 3 sizes larger but there was only a 5 inch difference between me and the sample size in the hips. so we ordered a 26 my dress came in and the bottom fits like a glove she laced me up very tight and the top in the bust area is big. i am  a 44b so the only alterations i need are the bust to be taken in on the sides i also have straps, the length of my gown hemmed i am 5'0 but plan on wearing 3inch heals, and they are constructing a jacket for me beacuse i need to be covered up during ceremony at church
  • Options

My measurements were all over the place (bust and waist at a size 2, hips/butt at a size 10...) so we ordered the 10 and are planning on taking in the top - at my bridal shop, those alterations will be between $60-80 depending on how much is needed.
    I feel soooo much better knowing I am not the only one with extreme sizing issues! I measured one inch under a 14 in the butt area, and right under 8 in the chest, and I felt so weirdly proportioned.
  • Options
    I am with the other ladies. I wear a 6 in street clothes. The dress I tried on was an 8 and it zipped (barely). When they measured me my bust was in a 10, waist a 4, and hips a 12. So we went with the 12. It can be taken in so much easier!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards