Chit Chat

Plated Vs. Buffet

2»

Re: Plated Vs. Buffet

• cruffino said:
    for dinner i prefer a plated meal, but since you're doing lunch i think a buffet will be nice. i also really like buffet brunch. i just feel that for hot food with dinner i'd rather be served a plate than walking around, and it feels too casual for dinner to me. 

one thing i really don't like is when tables are released because by the time the last table goes, the first is finished eating. it messes up the flow of eating and dancing. can they just have more lines so everyone can eat at the same time?
    I'm so glad that you said this because we are doing a brunch buffet!!  It is completely foreign to our friends & family, and we are excited to do something DIFFERENT!  and the food is amazing :)
    give me a nice brunch any day of the week! its my favorite meal and i love that its socially acceptable to drink cocktails with it. hello mimosa.
  • I love the idea of a brunch buffet too! I wonder if they could do that for me. Hmm. 
    do it if you can! i love getting french toast and carving station roast beef...with a few mimosas thrown in.
  • My favorite restaurant's brunch buffet has a ham carving station. Which works out really well for when I go to the omlette or waffle station first and have them plop a slice or two of ham on top, then smother it in gravy.

Dammit, now I just made myself hungry!

~*~*~*~*~

• We are having the same dilemma. I like the variety of a buffet but I like the formality of the plated. We will probably decide when we sit down with the caterer

All of the weddings I have been to have been plated

• I used to work at a venue that did weddings. From that experience I would do buffet anytime. Some of the food was professionally served, think carving stations, lasagna, messy things but most of it was self serve with an attendant. A staff member released the tables two at a time with he goal of getting the entire line through with Minimal waits. Aside from 250+ people wedding there were rarely waits.

Plated meals are harder to keep warm. If an extra person shows up there is no option for them to eat. I found people waited longer because if everyone was not at their right seat plates got messed up. And there was always a lot of food wasted.
  • Senecaf said:
    I used to work at a venue that did weddings. From that experience I would do buffet anytime. Some of the food was professionally served, think carving stations, lasagna, messy things but most of it was self serve with an attendant. A staff member released the tables two at a time with he goal of getting the entire line through with Minimal waits. Aside from 250+ people wedding there were rarely waits. 

Plated meals are harder to keep warm. If an extra person shows up there is no option for them to eat. I found people waited longer because if everyone was not at their right seat plates got messed up. And there was always a lot of food wasted.
    Not if you have good caterer and/or venue.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We are doing a combo. Plated first two courses - fruit and salad. Then buffet for entree, starch, and vegetable.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • If done correctly, with a good caterer, buffets can be great. I do like plated meals but like PP have said, buffets can allow for more variety. I have had both at weddings and have had also had good and bad experiences with both. It really depends on the caterer. I think that buffets are great for a small group. FI and I are having one for our reception and have been working closely with the restaurant to provide a nice variety of foods that can please everyone. FI and I are a bit more adventurous with foods than a lot of our friends so we wanted a nice mix. I'm not sure of the size of your wedding, but since ours will be on the smaller side and we don't quite meet the minimum amount of people, we were able to upgrade a few of the options for the same price.    
  • We're inviting around 130 people. Our venue is a well known mountain resort that's been in business for many years. So I guess I shouldn't worry too much. It's just hard not to second guess myself. 
  • We're doing "pasta stations" where each guest can pick their pasta, meat/veggies, and sauce, and a server will sauté them all together to mix & warm it up.  This should be awesome and please just about everyone - but it takes about one minute per person.  So we're having four stations and having salad and bread on each table (plus appetizers out where we'll dance later) so the last people to go through won't be stuck without food.

In general, I prefer buffets because I'm picky and often would rather have more control over my portions... but both are great as long as the food is warm and the wait for most people is managed well.
  • I really dislike buffets at weddings.  I hate waiting in line all dressed up and having to carry my food across the room to my table.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've only been to weddings that have buffets and the food has never been cold and the lines have never been long. I think if a buffet is done right it's a great option. Also, I'm a pretty picky eater and I like being able to decide what's going on my plate and how much of it.

• I think of buffets as more casual and plated as more formal.  

I don't like waiting in long lines in heels worry about spilling food (or being spilled on).

One cousin's wedding had passed appetizers and plated service.  The food was hot and delicious.

Another cousin's wedding had a buffet and the food was so-so but ran out (apparently she had a lot of people who just "showed up" without RSVPing yes so not really the venue's fault.)

I prefer the idea of plated over buffets, but also really like stations as an alternative.  
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Unless I'm getting steak and lobster I prefer buffet. I like to be able to choose. That way I don't have to eat something I don't like when I could have had double potatoes :-9
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards