Wedding Woes
Options

All I want for Christmas is his two front teeth.

Dear Prudence,
I'm a single woman in my 30s. I met a guy a couple of months ago through an online dating website, and we hit it off and are spending a lot of time together. He is funny, smart, articulate, sensitive, talented, and seems to adore me. The catch is that he is missing several of his teeth. In the front. This completely threw me off on our first date (his profile pictures all featured closed-mouth smiles, obviously). But I kept seeing him because we got along so well. Now we're on the brink of entering a committed relationship. He has already introduced me to many of his friends and family members. My parents and most of my friends live in another state and, frankly, I would be embarrassed to introduce him to them because of his dental situation. He is in college and works part time, so I assume he doesn't have health insurance. I would temporarily go into debt to fill in any holes in my mouth if I had them, but obviously this isn't a priority for him. I need some perspective on whether this is something worth feeling hesitant about. I don’t know if I should even broach the subject with him. How would I suggest he consider cosmetic dentistry? We've been very open and honest in our communication on other sticky matters, but I just don't know if I can go there. Please help!

—He’s Great Otherwise

Re: All I want for Christmas is his two front teeth.

• Options
    She could present it as an employment detriment, which it will be. I assume his part-time job is something throwaway, minimum-wage like, where the teeth aren't an issue, but if he's pursuing a degree to better his chances at steady employment, he needs to consider getting some teeth. 

I'm amazed she held on this long. This guy must be awesome, because I just couldn't with the teeth. 
  • Options
    I would sign him up for the nearest dental school, and ask if he feels like this is something he wants to get done. He might not see it as a problem or it might be something he wants to do, but has never had the money.
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't want to go out with someone who was missing teeth and did nothing about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards