Wedding Woes

Ugh...Hipsters

Dear Prudence,
How far should a hostess go to accommodate the dietary choices of her guests? I'm not talking about EpiPen-requiring allergies. My husband and I are having a small Super Bowl party. He is suggesting to go with the lowest common denominator and make most everything vegan. I can do that, but I find that meat and dairy substitutes are just poor substitutes. It seems that vegetarians/vegans are so morally superior that we should all sacrifice our omnivore diets to their choices. I live in a part of the country where being vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free is super hip and widespread, which doesn’t help me with the pervasive feeling that I get that I should feel guilty for enjoying animal products. 

—The Amoral Hostess

Re: Ugh...Hipsters

• As if the Super Bowl is going to be acceptable entertainment for a morally superior hipster douche?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This is getting ridiculous.

It doesn't even sound like she's asked anyone if they care, talked to anyone about bringing dishes, etc.  Her husband is a douche for suggesting they just make everything vegan.  It's farkin' Super Bowl party, not a damn 5 course meal.  

I have one friend who is a vegan.  We had a damn fine time cooking and planning a pretty big dinner party with her restrictions.  NOT b/c she even asked or even knew but b/c I want my FRIENDS to be comfortable and have a good time in MY HOME.

I'm kind of getting tired of attitude lately.  Just don't effin' invite them if it's such a damn bother for you to treat your friends with some respect.
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2014

she's kind of a moron if she doesn't understand that you don't have to use vegan cheese substitute to make a proper vegan food choice. i doubt anyone of superior intelligence would be in her company anyway, so she could just blow things up with her velveeta and bagel bite spread.

i don't think she really knows what "vegan" is.

• I've accidentally fed gelatin to a vegetarian (once)--they knew it was a genuine accident and didn't yell at me.  I knew it was an assy thing to do so felt bad.

Isn't that how these things work?  I make sure that I"m a good hostess--that there's something for them to eat.  They make sure they're a good guest--by not being smarmy about my my hostessing and act grateful that I feed them.
    And that's why we're friends, no?
  • The both sounds strange.  Makes me wonder how they have friends to invite.

Superbowl= tons of different things.  How hard is it to really make sure there is enough for everyone to have a full belly?  Then again I'd have to think about an entire vegan spread. 

• If I have someone coming over that has dietary restrictions, I always make sure there's at least a couple things they can eat. But I'm not going to make an entirely vegan meal.  Ever.  My husband doesn't eat CHEESE FFS!  People always have something without cheese and he just accomodates to what's available. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't even understand her problem. It's super easy to have a few vegan dishes, a few vegetarian dishes, and stuff with meat in it. Or just do everything vegan, because there's a ton of options. Like for a Super Bowl party, you're looking at dips and sides, maybe some pizza and wings. Hummus, salsa, guacamole, bean dip (if it doesn't have lard), baba ganoush if you're feeling adventurous, salads, veggie platters, fruit plates, many forms of desserts- vegans covered. Cheese dips, sour cream based dips- vegetarians covered. That buffalo wing thing I found on Pinterest- carnivores. This is literally a non issue. I do this for my friends and it doesn't put anyone out to eat vegan dishes (I say this as a solid omnivore, eating pepperoni pizza). Avoiding gluten, also, has been getting easy, especially if you're in an area where it's popular. Our grocery literally has tags under the price tags that say Gluten Free! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2014
    i just don't see why she feels that she has a secret friend in her group that is a morally superior vegan. and off the top of my head, i can think of a ton of food choices that are vegan and also eaten by amoral omnivores. sorry, i just cannot get over the fact that she thinks that all her guests will eat everything she puts out except for the secret vegan. not everyone will eat everything anyway. and her husband is a dink for thinking they have to be all vegan. as if their friend doesn't know they eat non vegan foods (if there even is this secret vegan).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards