Chit Chat
Options

Recipe Thursday: Chili Edition

Good afternoon, everyone!

Since many of us love recipes, let's use this thread to share our favorite chili recipes! (I'd go first, but I left my recipe sitting on the coffee table at home.) So, Knotties, what's in YOUR chili?

~*~*~*~*~

Re: Recipe Thursday: Chili Edition

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Mine it at home! It's really good. I'll have to post it later. 
  • Options

Here is my FI's Cincinnati chili recipe:

Ingredients

2 pounds lean ground beef

1 quart water

2 onions finely chopped

1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce

2 tablespoons of vinegar

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

4 cloves minced garlic

1 ounce square of unsweetened chocolate

1/4 cup chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

5 whole cloves

5 whole allspice berries

1 bay leaf

Directions:

1. Place the ground beef in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, stirring and breaking up beef with a fork (for some reason it is super important to use a fork). Slowly boil until the meat is thoroughly cooked (about half a hour) then remove from heat and refrigerate overnight.

2. Skim the fat from the top of the pan and discard it. place the beef mixture over medium heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook stirring occasionally for 3 hours.

It is awesome. My FI makes it every year for the Super bowl.

• Options
    What type of vinegar would you use for this? White/distilled?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yep. White vinegar. Sorry forgot to put what type.
  • Options
    No worries, I just wanted to make sure because I saw a chili recipe that uses balsamic. Totally different flavor profiles!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

I made a great turkey chili a few weeks ago, very simple:

1 lb Turkey Sausage (half sweet/half hot)
    Large Jar of Picante Sauce -medium (or salsa will work if you like chunky veggies)
    2 Cans of White Beans (Cannaloni or Navy)
    Tastefully Simple Wahoo Chili Seasoning.

Brown meat.  Drain the liquid from the cans of beans.  Add beans and Picante Sauce.  Season to taste with the Chili Seasoning.  Simmer for 10 mins to fuse the flavors and done!  I also make a beef variation, but use red beans for it. 

• Options
    firebabe6519firebabe6519 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    2 onions (one red and one white)
    2 lbs. ground meat (we prefer venison or elk as FI hunts and keeps our freezer well stocked but you can use beef or turkey too)
    1 tsp. Chopped garlic
    1 tbsp. Olive oil
    2 tbsp. Chili powder
    1/2 tsp. Cumin
    Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
    1/2 tsp. Ground Serrano
    1 jalapeño (skinned and diced)
    2 cans kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    1 tsp. Brown sugar
    1 can tomato paste
    1 fresh tomato diced
    Garlic powder (to taste)
    1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
    1/2 can chipotle peppers

On medium heat, brown onions and garlic in the olive oil. Then add meat and brown. (If desired you can drain the grease after this.)

In a separate bowl, add chipotle peppers, brown sugar and spices. Muddle the mixture and stir in tomato paste. Add this mixture to the cooked meat along with jalapeño, beans, and diced tomato.

Heat on high until boiling, and then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes. (For better flavor, leave it overnight.)

I like some heat to my chili, but the brown sugar gives it a smooth finish. Enjoy!

(Forgot to add... I usually just keep the bean juice in the chili since it contains most of the nutrients from the beans. So if you prefer to drain / rinse the beans, you may need to add water.)
  • Options
    This is a dear friend's recipe that I am absolutely in love with. It was actually used on one of the competition shows on the Food Network. And yes, it's vegetarian.

Ultimate Veggie Chili (Serves 8)
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs olive oil
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    14 oz extra firm tofu, frozen then thawed
    2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
    2-14 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1-14 oz can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 C frozen corn
    1/2 C whole roasted cashews
    salt & pepper

In a large stockpot, saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat until onion starts to soften. Stir in spices. Crumble the thawed tofu into the mixture and saute 5 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, corn and cashews; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with additional cashew, if desired. (For a spicier, smokier version, add 1/2 tsp chipotle powder and/or 4 oz can of diced jalapeno or green chiles.)
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yay, fun thread! I remember we mentioned posting recipes. All these recipes sound yummy, I can't wait to try them all! Here is my recipe - I do not measure things when I cook, therefore I would say adjust the ingredients to your liking.

Ingredients:
    Lean Ground Beef - or Ground Turkey
    2 tsp crushed garlic (I like the trader joe's kind, b/c the price is right)
    1 Packet Goya Sazon
    Goya Adobo
    Garlic Powder
    Ground Black Pepper
    Oregano
    1 Can Tomato Sauce
    1 Can Goya red/pink beans [or any other beans you prefer]
    Hot Sauce (optional)
    *Optional* TP's Sofrito [My nickname is TP and this is my personal Sofrito recipe - directions below]
    Olive Oil [Again, whatever you prefer. I prefer Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic olive oil]

Sofrito Recipe  - 
    1 Spanish Onion
    1 Green Pepper (seeds removed)
    3 Jalapenos [this is optional. It does not make the food super spicy, just adds a nice subtle kick]
    1 batch of fresh oregano leaves
    1 Garlic Head
    About 1/2 cup of white cooking wine

Throw all the above in the blender/food processor, and then store it away in tupperware, or some sort of container to use for future dishes. The recipe above can be divided by 2 in case you want a smaller amount. 

For anyone that is not familiar with Sofrito, this is a Latin American marinade that is used to season anything from meats, to fish, to stews. I try to make a batch and save it for when I cook, but I only use this in my dishes when I have the time and energy to make it. Once I run out of the stuff I season my food with everything but the Sofrito. This is my personal recipe, and not the standard recipe for Sofrito.

Directions:
    Place about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot. Throw in the 2 tsp of crushed garlic, and mix around for about 20-30 secs. Throw in the beef, mix it around. Then, season the meat with the adobo, sazon, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. If using my Sofrito recipe, throw in 2-3 tablespoons. Mix around until brown. Add the beans, tomato sauce, hot sauce, and mix. Cover, and let simmer on low to medium heat about 20 minutes or so, or until ready, serve and enjoy!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    So my mom used to make this recipe from one of her diet books that around the house, the three of us girls started calling the "Magical Fat-Blasting Chile."  It's super low-cal and delicious.  I'm pretty sure I found the recipe from the diet book she used to use (Precision Body Sculpting).  This is the website I got it from: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com.  Have not actually made it from this version, but it sounds exactly like what my mom used to make.  And now I want turkey chile.

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
    • 1 large red onion, chopped
    • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    • 6 cloves garlic, diced
    • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey meat
    • 4 tablespoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 3 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
    • 1 vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 1 cup of water (gluten free if needed)
    • 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
    • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
    • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, no sugar added (optional)

Directions:

1. In a large soup pot, sauté the red onion, bell pepper and garlic cloves in the oil.
    2. Once the onions are translucent, stir in the turkey meat. Continue to stir until the meat is cooked.
    3. Stir in cumin, coriander and chili powder.
    4. Pour in the water with the dissolved bouillon cube.
    5. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
    6. Keep at a low and steady boil for about 5-10 minutes to allow the spices to really absorb.
    7. If you find the chili is too thick or dry, add the can of tomato sauce.
    8. Cool and serve.

My mom used to put whatever chopped up vegetables she could find into this, especially corn when we had it around the house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards