Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Decisions

So I'm trying to decide between two hair and make-up options, and I'm leaning in one direction, but I'd like to get some opinions first. We are spending quite a bit on photography, so I've decided these aren't things I want to DIY. Option #1 comes highly recommened by our DOC and does airbrush make-up. From what the DOC says, it's going to run about $350. Option #2 is her third recommendation (second rec is almost as much as no. 1, so while they're still an option if the other two are booked, I'm mainly focused on the two options listed here). They use a make-up called nouba and they are only around $200. Both are on her preferred vendors list and she also mentioned them both by name at our first meeting. Still, she really seems sold on her first rec. Can I go wrong with the cheaper place or is aurbrush really worth it? Edit: typo

Re: Decisions

• Airbrush is awesome, take it from someone who owns one!  Whenever I apply it, wether to myself or a friend, it doesn't budge until I use makeup remover to take it off.  It will last beautifully all day, and it looks very natural and flawless.  
    Although it would also be a good idea to do a trial with each make up artist before you decide.  
  • How much makeup do you normally wear? I don't wear any so for me a face full of airbrush seems very unappealing. I'm just doing regular makeup. But if you're someone who wears it normally and maybe has less than perfect skin then it might be worth it.

• I've never used an airbrush system or had it done, but I've used the spray can stuff, and it can be lighter than other make up. You get better coverage with less. I definitely think it's worth it, but is it $150 more worth it?
  • They also have a 6 service minimum that I'm just now hearing about, meaning my 2 BMs would also need to get their hair/make-up done at 175 each.
  • Blergbot said:
    They also have a 6 service minimum that I'm just now hearing about, meaning my 2 BMs would also need to get their hair/make-up done at 175 each.
    This would be a deal breaker for me, since I'm having my bridesmaids do their own makeup.  I do think that if you can afford the extra $150 without putting strain on your budget and having to cut other things, the airbrush can be worth it, but having to shell out an extra $175 each per bridesmaid is a bit much, unless they wanted to cover their own costs- not because you make it mandatory, of course, you'd have to kinda just be like "Hey this lady is doing airbrush makeup, you guys interested in getting yours done too?" and if they're not book the other makeup artist.  

Again, though, I really think you should go in for a trial with each makeup artist before you decide, especially since you've never had airbrush done on you before- try it out and see how you like it before you decide.
  • @HaileyDancingbear Yeah...apparently in Santa Barbara everyone charges for trials (about 80% of what they charge day of). I asked our DOC and she says this is standard. I'm leaning toward my cheaper option.
  • Blergbot said:
    @HaileyDancingbear Yeah...apparently in Santa Barbara everyone charges for trials (about 80% of what they charge day of). I asked our DOC and she says this is standard. I'm leaning toward my cheaper option.
    It is standard, when I was taking my course to get certified  my teacher was talking about what makeup artists usually charge and teaching us about the business, and he said that while trials should be cheaper, you still have to charge for them because you're using your makeup and time.  The place I'm applying to does half price for trials. 
  • Yeah. I get why that would be the case. But it is definitely making me consider the cheaper option. Though I guess it's more the 6 service minimum that's getting to me.
  • I thought for sure I was going to have airbrush because of all the hype I've heard about it.  Then I had a trial and hated it!  I did another trial with traditional and loved it so much more...it was more natural.  And, it still lasted all day until I finally went to bed around 3am.  Whatever you decide, make sure you have a trial first!  If I didn't have that original trial, I would've been very upset the day of my wedding.
  • I love airbrush because it feels lighter on my skin to me. Bride airbrush in the NY area runs around $150-200, bridesmaids $75-100. So in my case, I would never pay $350 for airbrush; is this standard for your area? I would shop around first before getting a trial. I've never heard anyone using the other type of makeup. Around here it's either airbrush or MAC traditional makeup really. Good luck!
  • @AshleyNicole1218 I'm getting married in Santa Barbara. It's one of the most expensive places in the country. $350 was the higher end, so I don't know that it's typical, but I'm sure that there are even more expensive salons, too.
  • I would see if you can do a trail with the airbrush a few weeks before your wedding, heck maybe a few months even, just in case you end up being allergic to the product that they use. It won't matter how good you look if you end up having a reaction. I was glad I did that because I did end up being allergic to the brand my salon uses (and it's a big name brand). I was breaking out within hours of my trail appointment. I still had the same person do my makeup, but we just used products that I already owned that I knew my skin was ok with.
  • Thanks @Erikan73. I do have a lot of skin sensitivities.
  • Don't forget to have some photos taken after the trial.  It's helpful to see how you look, not just what you see in the mirror.
  • Yowza, definitely seems on the high side but IMO, airbrush is totally worth it. A friend is a pro photographer and she absolutely agrees. We used it for a boudoir shoot I did a couple years ago. There's not as much editing required on the back end because it makes everyone look flawless with no glare/oily spots, but still looks natural. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards