Attire & Accessories Forum

BM dress help!! 10 year age difference b/w bridesmaids!

My bridesmaids are between the ages of 14 and 24 and I am having a REALLY hard time deciding on a dress for them! I want them to match as much as possible and I prefer floor length dresses made of chiffon. Our colors are navy and light pink.

The problem is that all of my girls are SO different. My maid of honor is 22 and loves dressing sexy. My two cousins are 18 and 14. My other friend is quite conservative. I don't know to make one dress work for everyone without giving into the mismatch dress trend or drastically exceeding the budget.

Any ideas? thanks!!

Re: BM dress help!! 10 year age difference b/w bridesmaids!

• My bridesmaids are between the ages of 14 and 24 and I am having a REALLY hard time deciding on a dress for them! I want them to match as much as possible and I prefer floor length dresses made of chiffon. Our colors are navy and light pink.

The problem is that all of my girls are SO different. My maid of honor is 22 and loves dressing sexy. My two cousins are 18 and 14. My other friend is quite conservative. I don't know to make one dress work for everyone without giving into the mismatch dress trend or drastically exceeding the budget.

Any ideas? thanks!!
    I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd just let them pick out their own dresses in the color and length you want.

Beyond that, try to find a dress style or two that looks flattering on all of them.  If that means your MOH doesn't get to have her ass or boobs hanging out, oh well. KWIM?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I was very against the different dresses until I watched some of my ladies start to try on different dresses and saw how different their tastes were (My range is 23 to 34) and how different dresses were flattering on different figures, that I gave into it. It was honestly one of the best wedding decisions I've made so far. In the end, people wont remember the dresses except for me and the bridesmaids who had to buy them.

At the end of the day, I'd rather them look good in their dresses and be happy with their dresses than them all be the same. I have 5 dresses that hang in my closet that I will never wear again. image
    Really, if you look up pictures of ladies in the same color, designer, fabric, it's not a big deal. They are still very clearly bridesmaids. 

Otherwise, I think you're just going to have to go find one dress that's age appropriate for a 14 year old that your older ladies can live with and your MOH will have to get over. That's the way it goes when they all wear the same dress - someone will love it and someone will hate it. They all agreed to be BM's with the understanding that you would be picking their attire within their budgets.  
  • Something my BMs and I are considering is something like the Diva Wrap Dress. That way, they'll all be the exact same color and material (and one size fits most!), but each lady can make it look how they want. It's not chiffon though!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/289497082268581020
  • I don't mind that dress....The only thing that has caught my eye is how deep the neckline plunges....Might be good for the "sexy" friend, but what about the younger BM? Could that dress be adjusted with a different neck line? Or could a pin or a brooch be put there to button it ?
  • Those convertible wrap dresses are seldom flattering on most body types. I agree with PDKH.  Just let them choose their own dress, that suits their body and age.    I would recommend picking a designer and the color, fabric and just letting them decide what they prefer.  I let both of my BMs pick their own dresses, that they felt beautiful in, in the color I picked from davids bridal.  

they turned beautiful and very complimentary to each other.

Here are a couple of photos, hopefully it helps.

• My girls are between 14 and 34, so I know where you are coming from. Luckily, there are lots of options that are flattering and appropriate for both. First, have you asked their budgets? Long chiffon dresses are expensive. Like $200+. So, that's where you have to start.

For a style, I suggest an illusion neckline. You get coverage, but also some skin. It's a great compromise between them.

Jim Hjelm Occasions

Jim Hjelm Occasions (2)

Or a higher neckline dress. You don't have to show a lot of skin to be sexy.

ML Monique Lhuillier

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I'm in the "let them pick what they want" camp too. If you have one friend that really prefers to be conservative, I wouldn't want to try to get her into something that's not, because she'd be uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to make your friend who likes a sexier look feel too confined either. I also think it's hard dressing a 14 year old to match a 24 year old. So many of them don't have the same shape yet (I know I didn't). 

IF you decide that you must have the same dress, I would look for something with a high neckline and find a shrug/bolero type thing too (I'm just thinking of my conservative dressing friends who don't allow their shoulders to be exposed, I'm not sure if that applies to your friend). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have chosen a floor-length style as well for my ladies. It is strapless, but has the option for spaghetti straps for those who would feel more comfortable. There is a short version of the same dress as well and the wedding will be in the summer so if the short dress happens to look great and a few girls prefer it I am open to having both. So really, if you choose the same basic shape or style of dress in the same colors, you could allow your BM's to customize straps/neckline, and potentially even length. Also for your more conservative friend, have you considered adding a wrap or covering the shoulders with a matching shoulder jacket of some kind?
  • Thanks for all of your suggestions! The wedding is a year and a half away still so I have plenty of time to keep looking :)

• My sister (40) and my niece (13) are my MOH and BM respectively. We decided on a color and a fabric and they got to choose the dress they wanted. My sister is wearing a lovely floor length with ruffles down the back and my niece is wearing this darling strapless knee length with a flowy skirt. They both look amazing and most of all they are comfortable with their age appropriate style choice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There are 4 girls in our WP with varying tastes and builds.  The youngest is 15 and the oldest is 28.  I gave them basic guidelines and they get to pick their own.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • edited February 2014
    I'm on the different dresses bandwagon, but that's also a personal taste thing of mine- I really don't care much about what they wear, TBH.  I think if you have them all buy from the same store, in the same color, length, and material, such as saying "Get a floor length chiffon dress in the color midnight at david's bridal" (not sure if midnight is a color there, just throwing out a random example)  they'll match perfectly and just have different necklines.

If you're super set on picking the same dress for all of them, prioritize a dress that makes your conservative friend comfortable and is appropriate for your younger bridesmaids- it's better to have them feel comfortable and have your MOH in something less "Sexy" than she'd like than to make your friend feel uncomfortable and potentially piss off the parents of your younger bridesmaids trying to satisfy your MOH's need for a "sexy" look.  Covering your tatas is kind of a "Suck it up" thing, but forcing someone to show more skin than they're comfortable with just isn't ok.  Ask your conservative friend, and the parents of the younger bridesmaids, what the most skin they're comfortable with is- strapless ok, or shoulders covered, etc.  for a guideline on what you should look for in a dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards