Wedding Reception Forum

Video/ Slideshow at Wedding Reception

My fiance and I are getting married in August (eep!!).  At our reception we want to show a slideshow/ video of us growing up, how we met and ending with the proposal/ engagement pictures.

I'm the lucky one who gets to put this together (because I'm a control freak) and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to organize the video?  If we should go by year? Or have pictures of me growing up, then him, then us together?

Re: Video/ Slideshow at Wedding Reception

• I just want to say I hope this will just be played in the background somewhere and not part of some sort of presentation that the guests are forced to sit and watch. Many people find this kind of thing awkward to sit through. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would not recommend you stopping the reception to show the pictures.  It is an energy drain on the party.  Guests will be forced to stop mingling, eating, drinking to watch, what will seem like, an endless run of pictures.  People will get bored.

I would recommend playing in the background on a loop so people can come and go as they please. In the times that I have done this for an event, I have mixed up the years.  A couple young pics, then 2-3 old pics, then young, etc.  Whatever you decide, have it play on a monitor in a corner so if guests don't want to watch them, they are not forced to do so.

ROCK IS KING!!
  • Don't play this in a way that the guests become a captive audience.

If you put it on a loop that gets played in the background, that's fine.  But don't do anything that prevents your guests from eating, drinking, and socializing while the video or slideshow is playing.

As you are already the center of attention, forcing your guests to watch it comes off as AWish and could cause them to tune out.
  • I agree with PPs that many guests will not enjoy this.  Perhaps show it in the background during the dance party section of the party, so that those who aren't dancing can take a look.  Or as Jen said, do it without sound, just put it on a loop in the background.

As for ordering the photos, I think you could do either of the two ways you suggested.  It might be nice to use photos of both of you throughout.  I would also suggest adding as many pics as you can find of your friends and guests into the slideshow.  It's always more interesting to watch a slideshow that the guests might find themselves in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• The only time I ever enjoyed this was at my best friends wedding because I was thoroughly interested to watch it since she was my best friend and we grew up together; and I recall majority of people talking/ not paying attention.  Other weddings, I was definitely one of the guests not paying attention.

We ended up doing something of this nature but I just uploaded the pictures onto to one of those digital frames and we had it displayed on the guestbook table. So if people wanted to watch it they could, but did not force people to sit there and watch it. The pictures just looped, we had maybe 50 pics total so it was not overkill.  We had a few pics of me growing up; a few of H growing up and then pics from throughout our relationship.  I think maybe 2 or 3 people mentioned how cute our pictures were. 

Anniversary
  • I'm doing one that will play with music. I am not going to try to go perfectly chronological when it comes to the order. It would be too hard. I think it won't matter, but I can understand if you wanted to do baby, then toddler, school age, and adult pictures in careful order.
  • I'm doing one that will play with music. I am not going to try to go perfectly chronological when it comes to the order. It would be too hard. I think it won't matter, but I can understand if you wanted to do baby, then toddler, school age, and adult pictures in careful order.
    As PPs have mentioned, I hope you don't stop the party to show this to all the guests.
  • JoanE2012 said:

I'm doing one that will play with music. I am not going to try to go perfectly chronological when it comes to the order. It would be too hard. I think it won't matter, but I can understand if you wanted to do baby, then toddler, school age, and adult pictures in careful order.

As PPs have mentioned, I hope you don't stop the party to show this to all the guests.

It'll play while we are taking pictures and while guests are having a chance to get some food. Just to have something going on. We also may play some clips of kids movies with songs while grown ups fill plates so that my little nieces and nephews can dance and stuff rather than deal with carrying plates if they are small.
    It'll play while we are taking pictures and while guests are having a chance to get some food. Just to have something going on. We also may play some clips of kids movies with songs while grown ups fill plates so that my little nieces and nephews can dance and stuff rather than deal with carrying plates if they are small.
    I wouldn't do this-they may still carry plates, and adults can't supervise them well while they're getting food; plus, they may get in the way of an adult who's carrying a plate, which could be very dangerous for all.  Play the clips during the dance portion of your reception.
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Jen4948 said:

JoanE2012 said:

I'm doing one that will play with music. I am not going to try to go perfectly chronological when it comes to the order. It would be too hard. I think it won't matter, but I can understand if you wanted to do baby, then toddler, school age, and adult pictures in careful order.

I wouldn't do this-they may still carry plates, and adults can't supervise them well while they're getting food; plus, they may get in the way of an adult who's carrying a plate, which could be very dangerous for all.  Play the clips during the dance portion of your reception.

...……...……...……...……

I think you misunderstood what I'm thinking of doing, if you see it as dangerous. It's hard to fully explain online without getting too wordy, but if I think things will be too chaotic, I will rearrange to better suit my guests.
    ...……...……...……...…… I think you misunderstood what I'm thinking of doing, if you see it as dangerous. It's hard to fully explain online without getting too wordy, but if I think things will be too chaotic, I will rearrange to better suit my guests.
    If you didn't explain it right, then yeah, posters are not going to understand it.  I still think it's not a good idea to play dance music for the kids while the adults who are supposed to be supervising them are filling plates.
    edited February 2014

While adults are getting food, children can be on the dance floor dancing while videos play. The venue is not big, so they won't be unsupervised. If any parent is not comfortable, he/she won't let her child be on his/her own. It's ok that you don't think it's a good idea, and I see where you're coming from.
  • While adults are getting food, children can be on the dance floor dancing while videos play. The venue is not big, so they won't be unsupervised. If any parent is not comfortable, he/she won't let her child be on his/her own. It's ok that you don't think it's a good idea, and I see where you're coming from.
    Thanks for recognizing this.  But I think many parents won't be comfortable with this, so it makes more sense to me to just have the videos play at a time when parents will be comfortable with letting their children dance, because they can actively supervise and even join in the dancing.  This assumes that dancing to the videos is something the children are going to want to do.
  • At a rehearsal dinner I went to once, the mother of the bride had made a video of photos set to music as a gift to the bride and groom. The "party" stopped as the guests were al held as a captive audience to watch the video. Because it was a smaller group of people who intimately knew the couple, and it was a rehearsal dinner and not a "party" like a wedding reception, it was fine. I would NEVER suggest doing this at a wedding reception, however. Talk about a buzzkill. If you want to have something in the background, then fine, but it shouldn't interrupt the flow of your event or the atmosphere. Anything with sound other than background music for the party is going to be a disaster.

Anyway, the way they did the video was so cute. They had title cards that I can't remember exactly how they were phrased, but first it was the bride. Pics of her in chronological order from childhood through college (when she met her groom). Then it was a title card for the groom, again with chronological pics from childhood through college. The bride's pics were set to one song, and the groom's pics were set to another song. And then there was a title card for the two of them together, and then pics of their life/relationship together. Set to a third song. 
  • I'm having videos that will play during certain times of the reception as part of the background. I also considering making a special one to play in the background during the first dance. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning toward it. That video will be pictures and videos of us as a couple, rather than us growing up.
  • MandyMost said:
    At a rehearsal dinner I went to once, the mother of the bride had made a video of photos set to music as a gift to the bride and groom. The "party" stopped as the guests were al held as a captive audience to watch the video. Because it was a smaller group of people who intimately knew the couple, and it was a rehearsal dinner and not a "party" like a wedding reception, it was fine. I would NEVER suggest doing this at a wedding reception, however. Talk about a buzzkill. If you want to have something in the background, then fine, but it shouldn't interrupt the flow of your event or the atmosphere. Anything with sound other than background music for the party is going to be a disaster.

Anyway, the way they did the video was so cute. They had title cards that I can't remember exactly how they were phrased, but first it was the bride. Pics of her in chronological order from childhood through college (when she met her groom). Then it was a title card for the groom, again with chronological pics from childhood through college. The bride's pics were set to one song, and the groom's pics were set to another song. And then there was a title card for the two of them together, and then pics of their life/relationship together. Set to a third song. 
    Even at a rehearsal dinner, I'd have to admit I'd be bored watching this as a member of a "captive audience."

The only time the guests should be a "captive audience" is during the ceremony and during any speeches or toasts, and that's why we tend to advocate keeping speeches and toasts short, limiting spotlight dances, and not to engage in "performances".  The rest of the time it should be totally up to the guests where their attention is focused. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    MandyMost said:
    At a rehearsal dinner I went to once, the mother of the bride had made a video of photos set to music as a gift to the bride and groom. The "party" stopped as the guests were al held as a captive audience to watch the video. Because it was a smaller group of people who intimately knew the couple, and it was a rehearsal dinner and not a "party" like a wedding reception, it was fine. I would NEVER suggest doing this at a wedding reception, however. Talk about a buzzkill. If you want to have something in the background, then fine, but it shouldn't interrupt the flow of your event or the atmosphere. Anything with sound other than background music for the party is going to be a disaster.

Even at a rehearsal dinner, I'd have to admit I'd be bored watching this as a member of a "captive audience."

The only time the guests should be a "captive audience" is during the ceremony and during any speeches or toasts, and that's why we tend to advocate keeping speeches and toasts short, limiting spotlight dances, and not to engage in "performances".  The rest of the time it should be totally up to the guests where their attention is focused. 
    If it was one of those big rehearsal dinners with a ton of guests invited, then yes, I totally agree it's inappropriate there as well. But if it's your immediate family and closest loved ones (the bridal party)? I think there are some different rules. These are people who really shouldn't be bored learning/reminiscing about you and your future husband's life for 5 minutes during one of your wedding events!
  • MandyMost said:
    Jen4948 said:
    MandyMost said:

If it was one of those big rehearsal dinners with a ton of guests invited, then yes, I totally agree it's inappropriate there as well. But if it's your immediate family and closest loved ones (the bridal party)? I think there are some different rules. These are people who really shouldn't be bored learning/reminiscing about you and your future husband's life for 5 minutes during one of your wedding events!
    The thing is, the people at my rehearsal dinner would already be familiar with our lives, so there'd be no need for a 5 minute video or slideshow.

• Tamdan said:
    I love the idea, and think it's very cute to have at the reception :) I have seen it be done and think it's a great look at the couple and the journey they have been on :) The guests are your friends and family I'm sure they will enjoy it as long as it's not too long :) like 3 minutes max maybe :) What song are ya thinking? The one i seen was Sunny and Cher I got you babe :) And it went from baby to engagement shots :)
    But not everyone else thinks that, and for them, even 3 minutes of being treated as a captive audience at the reception is annoying.  This isn't even a speech, a toast, or a spotlight dance, and even those get to be annoying if there are too many demands for undivided attention for too long.  Putting this on a loop and playing it in the background is fine, but forcing everyone to pay attention to it wouldn't be.

The "cuteness" of the idea doesn't make it a good one.
  • I'm having videos that will play during certain times of the reception as part of the background. I also considering making a special one to play in the background during the first dance. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning toward it. That video will be pictures and videos of us as a couple, rather than us growing up.
    If by certain times you mean cocktail hour and dinner, then sure.  Although I prefer to mingle, eat, drink, and talk with people during those times anyways.

I wouldn't play a video or show photos during your 1st dance.  The focus is already on your and your FI, and I will be watching you dance.  I don't want to be distracted by a video or photos on top of watching you dance.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

edited February 2014
    I'm having videos that will play during certain times of the reception as part of the background. I also considering making a special one to play in the background during the first dance. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning toward it. That video will be pictures and videos of us as a couple, rather than us growing up.
    If by certain times you mean cocktail hour and dinner, then sure.  Although I prefer to mingle, eat, drink, and talk with people during those times anyways.

I wouldn't play a video or show photos during your 1st dance.  The focus is already on your and your FI, and I will be watching you dance.  I don't want to be distracted by a video or photos on top of watching you dance.

I see what you mean, but I like the idea of not having everyone looking at us the whole time. Hmm, you give me something to reconsider.

I see what you mean, but I like the idea of not having everyone looking at us the whole time. Hmm, you give me something to reconsider.
    That's the entire point of a spotlight dance.  If you don;t want people looking at you, then don't do the dance.

But if you are going to dance, jut dance.  Don't have anything else cluttering up the background.  Having a slideshow during dance may even come off as AW.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards