Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer question

Do I go with a photographer I know does good work and I would get along with but is more expensive (being from a metro area) or go with a local, less expensive photographer I don't know well? The local photographer charges about 1K. They have a good portfolio and lots of experience with weddings. The photographer from the metro area did my sister's wedding and would charge about 3K. I'm on a tight budget and cutting costs where I can. Any thoughts?

Re: Photographer question

• Options
    Personally, I think photography is an area you shouldn't cut corners in.  Have you met with both of them?  Do you prefer the work of one over another?  It sounds like you're familiar with the more expensive one because of your sister's wedding, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better fit for you.  I would have a meeting with both of them and go with your gut on whoever will do the best job.
  • Options
    lunarx42 said:
    Do I go with a photographer I know does good work and I would get along with but is more expensive (being from a metro area) or go with a local, less expensive photographer I don't know well? The local photographer charges about 1K. They have a good portfolio and lots of experience with weddings. The photographer from the metro area did my sister's wedding and would charge about 3K. I'm on a tight budget and cutting costs where I can. Any thoughts?
    @lunarx42

I would never cut corners with photography. I would meet with both of them and then make a decision but from just what you have said here I would go with the more expensive one. Getting along with your photographer is a good part of the photography too. Cutting costs is good but not when it comes to the photographer.
  • Options
    lunarx42 said:
    Find other places to cut costs, but don't do it on photography.  You'll have those photos forever....you don't want to regret your decision days, weeks or years later.
  • Options
    Chris10Nicole - You cannot advertise here.  Who wants to hire a vendor that can't read the rules when they signed up?

@KnotPorscha - Vendor.  I beg for mods to be brought back. 
  • Options
    I was adamant that I wouldn't cheap out on photography because it's so important. But you know what, I am. We are fully paying for our wedding and when you're working with a 8k budget in New England there's just no way you can spend $2500 of that on photography (unless you want starving guests). A good friend of mine has done dozens of weddings and she discounted her rate for me to $800 since we're such good friends. Her work is great and she knows what she's doing, but yes there are better photographers in my area. It was a really hard decision but with the price and the budget I decided it's ok to have someone who's a B+ instead of an A. I wouldn't go with someone I thought was a D but I think one step below the best is still good enough for me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards