Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Alternative wedding band?

So I had my wedding band pretty much picked out- just a simple yellow gold band with some small diamonds- but then I came across these rings today and thought they could be kinda sweet for an alternative look.

The thing is, I haven't been able to find a lot of info about them online. They're made out of resin, which is apparently pretty durable, but I don't know if they'd be considered durable enough for an everyday band. Has anyone else looked into these, or does anyone know anything about resin rings and how they hold up?

Also, are there any other "alternative" band styles/materials you know of or have yourself? I looked into ceramic rings a little bit too, because I really love the look of a white ceramic band, but I couldn't find any that were as thin as I would want. My e-ring itself is pretty small/thin so I don't want anything too overpowering.

Re: Alternative wedding band?

• Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2014
    @brittanyerink

I know nothing about those rings. I always just looked at the typical / standard metals for my wedding band (until I found out I am getting my grandmother's wedding band).

Anyway, I am not sure if they make women's rings but my fiance's wedding band is made from Tungsten.

Also, since your engagement ring is pretty small / thin, have you looked at getting a wrap for it instead of a new ring?
  • Options
    I would be concerned about their long-term durability, especially for something that thin that you would wear on your hands.  I have friends who cast jewelry out of resin, but resin cures hard but brittle.  I've had resin pieces break after accidentally dropping them when fumbling to put them on before.  
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    flutterbride2b, that's what I was worried about. I definitely read that about the ceramic rings (which makes a lot of sense), but was hoping it wouldn't be the case with resin. Darn!

hivonb, I thought about the wrap but I think I'd like to leave my e-ring and band separate- my e-ring is an antique with some side decoration that I don't want to cover up! (I attached a photo.) Makes it a little difficult to find something that complements it rather than takes away from it. I'd like to keep the band thin and simple, ideally no bigger than 2.0mm. Might just end up going with the simple thin yellow gold after all.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Resin = plastic.  Do you really want a plastic wedding ring?  I don't think this is a good idea at all!
    I  have worn a simple, thin band of yellow gold for 37+ years and it still looks great.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I would message the seller and ask them.
  • Options
    Another thing to keep in mind with "non traditional" jewelry materials is often they cannot be resized, have limited sizeability or can be difficult to cut off in the event of an emergency.
  • Options
    Your ring is beautiful!

I have a friend who casts resin, and while she's not online to ask, I believe resin is going to be less durable then most metals rings are typically made of.

If you're looking on Etsy, there are definitely non traditional gold rings on there

Anniversary
  • Options
    flutterbride2b, that's what I was worried about. I definitely read that about the ceramic rings (which makes a lot of sense), but was hoping it wouldn't be the case with resin. Darn!

hivonb, I thought about the wrap but I think I'd like to leave my e-ring and band separate- my e-ring is an antique with some side decoration that I don't want to cover up! (I attached a photo.) Makes it a little difficult to find something that complements it rather than takes away from it. I'd like to keep the band thin and simple, ideally no bigger than 2.0mm. Might just end up going with the simple thin yellow gold after all.
    @brittanyerink

That is a pretty ring. I think a yellow gold band would be perfect!
  • Options
    I have a blue with gold flakes resin ring. While I love it, it's not going to take the place on my wedding band. The ring is durable but I don't wear it daily. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards