Favors

kicking myself

I wanted candles for my favors so my fiance and an I were going to order candles through walmart... they were a buck a piece and you can easily peel of the sticker and add your own custom sticker.... instead my DJ/Boss/Friend and his Roommate suggested the roommates spouse. Now he makes candles and was really willing to work with us and our budget for custom poured soy candles in our wedding colors and the exact fragrances we wanted... Our budget was originally $150 for 125 candles... then when he added the glasses he went up to $200, and now it just jumped again to $230 because the cost of oils went up right after the new year. I can't back out because we would lose the deposit, and it would really upset my DJ and his roommate who is assistant DJ.... I love my boss, he is fantastic, and he is a great DJ who gave me a great deal...
I just can't afford any other last minute changes.

Re: kicking myself

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    KD+AR said:
    I wanted candles for my favors so my fiance and an I were going to order candles through walmart... they were a buck a piece and you can easily peel of the sticker and add your own custom sticker.... instead my DJ/Boss/Friend and his Roommate suggested the roommates spouse. Now he makes candles and was really willing to work with us and our budget for custom poured soy candles in our wedding colors and the exact fragrances we wanted... Our budget was originally $150 for 125 candles... then when he added the glasses he went up to $200, and now it just jumped again to $230 because the cost of oils went up right after the new year. I can't back out because we would lose the deposit, and it would really upset my DJ and his roommate who is assistant DJ.... I love my boss, he is fantastic, and he is a great DJ who gave me a great deal...
    I just can't afford any other last minute changes.
    Sorry to hear this.  This is why it's usually not a good idea to mix business with family/friends.

ETA - How much of a deposit did you leave?  Because you're already up to $105 more than what you would have spent at Walmart.  If the deposit is less than that, I'd just say you can't afford it and lose the deposit.  Then, go buy them at Walmart.  I'd be afraid this guy would find something else that's going to drive up the cost even further.
  • Hes a good guy- really... I think he is still trying to make a profit on this when he told me originally he would do it for cost....

• KD+AR said:
    Hes a good guy- really... I think he is still trying to make a profit on this when he told me originally he would do it for cost....

Well.....if he were really a good guy, he'd do it for cost like he said and wouldn't be trying to make a profit.  Especially when he knows your original budget was $150.  If I were him, I'd even eat a loss to make sure my you got the product promised at the price agreed upon.  I'd feel horrible otherwise.
  • I'm guessing you don't have a contract if the price keeps changing. That was your first (and biggest) mistake. Personally, I would have told him to do them unscented if the oil was causing a price increase. More people would probably take/use an unscented candle anyhow. Your guests may not share your idea of a pleasant scent.
  • thats a good point Ven&Radio. I thought about it, just having the pretty color since he is custom pouring our wedding colors.
  • I would skip the scent if you still can. Scented candles often mess with people's allergies.
  • Already paid him, check is cashed and oils purchased. We won't be lighting them at the tables... they will be shrink wrapped and then wrapped in tulle and then tied with a ribbon.... so too late now.
     :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards