DC

Venue in the DC Area?

I recently got engaged and am in the process of looking for a venue in the DC area. I am open to Maryland and Virginia (even a couple hours away) as well. It seems like no matter how much I search, I can barely find anyone that can accommodate our needs within our budget.

We are looking at having approximately 180 guests - and would want to do the ceremony and reception in the same location. The bigger issue really is our budget. We pretty much need to be under the $22,000 mark (AT MOST!) for the space and catering. For $180 people - this seems to be really really difficult in this area given that we want a full open bar and cocktail hour as well. Not to mention, we of course picked a Saturday in June as our ideal date (not the most reasonable time to get married).

We do have a back up option, but the room is incredible long and narrow and I feel like we would barely be able to see our guests. It's really important to us that everyone has a good time and can dance the night away together! I'd love a venue that is a bit more visually appealing than what we currently have - doesn't have to be a grand ballroom - but I don't want it to feel like just "event space" either since we won't have tons of money to jazz it up with decorations.

I realize I might be looking for a needle in a hay stack, but any advice on possible venues that fit this criteria would be greatly appreciated

Re: Venue in the DC Area?

• Have you looked at hotels in Alexandria? Most hotels will let you do the ceremony and reception and the ones around the Old Town area were a lot better priced then the ones actually in DC. If you want something more outdoorsy check out some places in the Leesburg area, like Oatlands
  • PS Josephine Butler House is Italian Renaissance Revival and boats a nice ballroom- you can check it out at night when they have swing dancing classes on Tuesday evenings!
  • Are you looking for June 14 or 15? You probably wont be able to book anything for June 14, and you need to book super soon for June 15. Do you have any military friend's? The Fort Meyer's Officer Club would probably fit the bill for your price. It's in Arlington.
  • I am getting married at the Gaylord in May. It required a minimum of $15,000 in food and beverage. I am having my reception in one of the smaller rooms for about 130 people. Try the Kimpton hotel in Alexandria also, the Hilton McClean has a all Glass Atrium that is gorgeous. 
  • The per person price isn't what is going to make it hard to fit within your budget... its the fact that you need to account for 20% tips/gratuities (which are additional to the per person price and mandated by most venues in their contract) and 6% sales tax.  So two questions that may help us help you: 
    - Are you inviting 180 or inviting more and expecting 180?  
    - Someone else asked this too I think -- you are looking for a venue for June of 2015, right?  I booked my venue 15 months in advance and it was the last Friday of the season they had available.  Venues book up very quickly here.  You're on track if you're thinking June '15.

I would consider doing a Friday if you are set on June, although picking a different season would have a bigger impact on your budget probably.  We are getting married at Antrim 1844 up in Taneytown, MD on a Friday in October (October is considered peak season by them) and paying about $140 a guest with the gratuities and tax included.  June is also their peak season and with 180 guests that would put you about $3,000 over your budgeted amount--for a Friday or Sunday.  Much more for a Saturday.  It includes all of the food and beverage for a cocktail hour and a four hour reception, as well as an on-site coordinator and tables/chairs/place settings/basic linens, etc. so in that sense it meets what you're looking for.  Ceremony fee is minimal - $660.

We were focused on north western portion of MD and the other venues we strongly considered were Glenview Mansion (amazing property; does not include catering or any of that); Comus Inn (our guests are mostly out of town and it wasn't super convenient for accommodations); Strong Mansion (same as Comus, plus doesn't include catering or any of that).  Comus Inn was really similarly priced to Antrim.  Strong and Glenview are more complicated to figure out pricing because they don't do catering.

Hopefully this is helpful.  Planning a wedding in this area can definitely be trying.  Ultimately we upped our budget to plan the wedding we want, but have been more strict on other things (photog, DJ, cake, flowers, etc) because the venue and food were our splurge.  Find out what is important to you, prioritize it, and make sure you start with a reasonable budget -- otherwise it will just turn into a bigger issue in the long term.

Congrats, and good luck :)
  • Try Bull Run Golf Club in Haymarket, VA. The rental is $3000 if you do your ceremony there, included everything, and our catering was $60/head (I do believe it's now $70/head though). They are SO AMAZING. David is so wonderful to work with.
  • Try Harbour View in Woodbridge.  We're getting married there in June of this year and having both ceremony and reception there.  The price is reasonable and it's on the river so you'll have water views and gorgeous photo opportunities.
  • If you have a budget under 25k I say stay away from hotels. The minimums eat up a budget. I'm getting married at top of the top town in arlington. max number of people is 180 and i think thats pushing it. im having about 120-130 people max in the space. have you looked at newton white manor, oxon hill manor, collingwood museum and library? Carnegie Institute of Science. This was my dream venue but is booked solid until Oct. 2015...I have a great spread sheet passed to me from another DMV bride with over 50 venues. I can send it to you if you want. It has everything from the The Newseum to a park, so all budgets :-)
  • I've heard great things about Top of the Town! I'm thinking of it for a 2016 wedding. I'd love to hear your experiences with it!
  • Hey, would you mind passing the spreadsheet along to me? I've just started looking at venues in the DC area and it's been hard finding one that fits our budget!
  • @beautyofdreams I would love the spreadsheet as well!! PM me for my email address?
  • If you want Oxon Hill Manor and Newton White Mansion you have to book at least one year in advance.  They are both fabulous venues and both super popular.  Right now nbth are currently booked for Saturday evenings through October 2015.  

Other venues to consider are Long View Gallery, Epic, and Stroga in DC and Herrington on the Bay and The Great Room at Historic Savage Mill in MD.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited December 2014
    beautyofdreams I'd love this spreadsheet if you're still able to share it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards