Wedding Reception Forum

Alternative to Guest Book

2»

Re: Alternative to Guest Book

• We are doing the rocks in a vase so that we can put them on our fireplace mantle as decor. Inside during cocktail hour, we are going to have our engagement photo book and we are going to have pens so that guests may write a quick note/wish. If it's a photo book we are more likely to pick it up and look at it again instead of just signed names.
  • Well, I once had to apply for food stamps, and in New York, they require you to get thumb-printed when you do, even if your criminal record is clean.  It was humiliating.  I guess that's why I don't want to do it as a "signature" even in a wedding guest "book."
  • We found a cute "love" wooden sign that matches our decor.  We are going to put our initials and the date in "o" and have everyone write their messages on the sign in coordinating sharpies. The entire things is costing us cost us $14.  I wouldn't pull out a guest book out enough to look at it so this is an alternative that works for us.
    My  MOH did a puzzle at their wedding, everyone signed a piece. I thought that would be cute, more so once/if you have kids.
  • We found a cute "love" wooden sign that matches our decor.  We are going to put our initials and the date in "o" and have everyone write their messages on the sign in coordinating sharpies. The entire things is costing us cost us $14.  I wouldn't pull out a guest book out enough to look at it so this is an alternative that works for us.
    My  MOH did a puzzle at their wedding, everyone signed a piece. I thought that would be cute, more so once/if you have kids.
    I like that puzzle idea-it is cute!
  • We created a photo book on Shutterfly, put photos of us from dating & engagement, but left every other page blank. Then we got a polaroid camera (actual its a Fuji Instax).  We plan to have guests take polaroids of themselves and put them on the blank pages, along with their advice for a long, successful marriage (our only unmarried guest is getting married this summer and most have been married 40+ years... I think shortest marriage is 10 years among our guests). We also have our wedding vows printed on the last page and we will fill any remaining blank pages with wedding photos afterward. It will still probably sit on a shelf most of the time, but I figure a photo album of our closest friends & family is better than just a book of signatures. And I could definitely see myself looking through it on occasion.

• We are doing a photobook guestbook.  Guests will take pictures in our photobooth and put the print out in the album and sign their name or leave a message.  The photobooth will also be out all night so guests can take their own pictures and have a keepsake.  We are however doing actual favors in addition to the pictures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing a Wooden Letter Initial of our last name, found one at Hobby Lobby for like 12 bucks.   Going to paint it black, and use silver and gold sharpies for signatures. When done, we'll seal it and hang it on our wall.   
  • My FI and I are considering having a photo booth at our wedding, and the company we are leaning toward using offers photo strips for the guest as well as one for the couple's scrap book or guest book. They will sort of "corral" for lack of a better term, the guests on their way in from the cocktail hour and have them snap a quick pic that will serve as their table marker and also for them to write a fun message on the back of our copy. We liked the idea of seeing everyone having a great time and being able to pull it out and actually remember that person was a part of our big day.
  • We are having a throw sized quilt made for our guestbook. Guests can pick a square to sign, give advice, or happy wishes. We are going to keep it in our living room and use it to cuddle!
  • We are doing a photobooth. The guests go in and get their picture taken. They keep one and put the other in the book and sign by it, plus I get to keep a digital copy of all pictures taken as well. This is a fun guestbook, plus I think it is always better to see their faces and expressions along with the signature, makes it more personal and fun, plus it is easier to remember the most amazing night, even the moments you may not have caught while busy with the new Husband.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a photobooth. The guests go in and get their picture taken. They keep one and put the other in the book and sign by it, plus I get to keep a digital copy of all pictures taken as well. This is a fun guestbook, plus I think it is always better to see their faces and expressions along with the signature, makes it more personal and fun, plus it is easier to remember the most amazing night, even the moments you may not have caught while busy with the new Husband.
    Well, this assumes that the guests want their photos taken.  Some might be willing to sign a guest book but not have their photos taken in a photobooth.
  • My fiance and I are huge Boston Bruins fans. We got a customized Bruins jersey with my future last name on the back and the number 14 for the year we're getting married in. We're planning on mounting it prior to the wedding and having our guests sign the jersey. After the wedding, I want to have it framed to hang in our house.

If you and your fiance are big sports fans, you could do something similar.
  • We also did a photobook from Shutterfly using our engagement pictures. It turned out beautifully and we have looked at it a couple times over the last year.

*Formerly ctexasgurl26 and mrsridings061513*

imageimageimage

Anniversary
    Baby William born June 11, 2014 Weighing 6 lbs 5 oz and 17.5 inches long

• I quilt so I'm going to be buying cocktail linens in our wedding colors and placing one at each place setting.  Each table will have a permanent black sharpie for the guests sign, write a little message.  I will be piecing all the cocktail napkins to make a king size quilt as a forever keepsake of the wedding.
  • We're just asking guests to write and pieces of advice or "date night" ideas on index cards and sticking them in a recipe box that will go in our kitchen. When we feel sentimental, we plan to pull out and read a card and if it is a date night card, then we will plan to try to do what the card says. It works for us because I like reading those "daily mantra/positive quotes" calendars (always starts off my day right!) and such and FI always laughs because I love to share them with him so for us, it would sort of be like that. :)

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• We were going to do the engraving photo frame thing, but then FI had an awesome idea that is much cheaper!

We're going to do a painting, something simple with some blank space around, then we'll leave out sharpies, pens, markers, crayons and have people sign/decorate the painting as they see fit. Then we'll hang it up after the wedding. We figure it's a way for our more creative artist friends to do little drawings if they wish, and also for our not as artistic friends/family to write loving messages we'll get to read/see everyday.
  • I like the idea of doing a Quaker Wedding Certificate (random link with examples). You have your vows calligraphed with a pretty picture (or I suppose you could insert a wedding photo) and your guests sign beneath the vows as witnesses. 
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    laurennx3 said:
    My fiance and I are huge Boston Bruins fans. We got a customized Bruins jersey with my future last name on the back and the number 14 for the year we're getting married in. We're planning on mounting it prior to the wedding and having our guests sign the jersey. After the wedding, I want to have it framed to hang in our house.

If you and your fiance are big sports fans, you could do something similar.
    I just saw this! Except it was softball jerseys they had made with the year and new last name that they took their engagement picture in. The bride just posted a picture on FB with them hanging in the bedroom. Very cute!!

I did the thumbprint tree and I had participated in one a few weeks before the wedding. They had provided wipes on the table and it is really not a big deal to stick your thumb on an ink pad and then wipe it off when you are done. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it as a guest first and see other guests really have no problem with it. Now if there are kids at the wedding, then that is a different story, but most adults can handle themselves just fine.

We had an "apple theme" to the wedding so naturally some trees played into the decor as well so the tree aspect fit perfectly. My guests wrote meaningful notes in their cards to us. I love the work of art that has been created and once we move I can't wait to display this on our wall along side our Ketubah. (picture is of my Nana doing her thumbprint, I couldn't find a picture of it complete).

Anniversary
  • My future SIL had her quest sign popsicle sticks, with advice how to keep the marriage alive. She loved the idea, and saved some of the sicks in a vase in their bedroom. I'm kind in the same boat, and NOTHING is appealing to me. I think that I may just skip the whole quest book idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • We also did a photobook from Shutterfly using our engagement pictures. It turned out beautifully and we have looked at it a couple times over the last year.
    FI and I are doing something similar to this ... I'm pretty big into scrapbooking, and I'm creating a book on My Publisher that is the story of our lives, from birth up to present day. There will be space for notes on every page, as well as space at the end so that people can write us notes from "when" in life they met us, or just sign at the end. It will go proudly on our coffee table, and, I'm going to make smaller copies that are "reversible" (his story on one side, mine starting from the back) and we will meet in the middle to give to our parents. My mom always whines about how she doesn't have the time to scrapbook baby pictures of me (or my sisters), so I figured this would help! :D
  • My future SIL had her quest sign popsicle sticks, with advice how to keep the marriage alive. She loved the idea, and saved some of the sicks in a vase in their bedroom. I'm kind in the same boat, and NOTHING is appealing to me. I think that I may just skip the whole quest book idea.
    I thought about this, especially since I'm having an intimate ceremony (so I'd only have, like, 5 entries).
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    We're going to have our guests sign bunting flags.  We're then going to string them all together and frame the whole bunting strand in a zig zag way.  I'm going to etch the glass on the frame with our wedding date and we'll hang it in our home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards